#61 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

Well Matt, I will try to get something done on it tonight or in the morning before I go to work. Pics won't be up for a little while though........curse the 14 builds going at once!

#62 tanarries

tanarries

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:chip miller

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

whell whale if you ndd some insperation check out my build
kw t600-a super kenepa WIP
just a little somthing i cooked up

looking very nice highway keep up the good worl

#63 rronning84

rronning84

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

Things are looking good. I am glad you got the bumper figured out. I cant wait to see it done.

#64 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

I have the front bumper done, almost! I still have to figure out how I'm going to finish it, whether I'm going to use Alclad to rechrome it or BMF, but I added aluminum tubing for the bars themselves, since the stock bars were too short! I also have to make mounts, if I can do what I'm planning, the bumper will tilt with the hood, but also be removable. Here's a few pics of what the finished bumper will be after rechroming or painting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think this would be the view you want in you're rearview mirror!! B)

Posted Image

#65 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:08 AM

Personally, I would remove the mold lines from the upright bars, and either Alclad or Spaz-sticks it. If I had the cash, time, and more part going that way, I would send it out for re-chroming.

#66 huffanpuff

huffanpuff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Full Name:ken

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

in creditable! now can I net pick? could be the way picture was taken but, is one of the bars blocking the head lamp distorting the beam,No the answer isn't it's only a model, it's engineering! All & all you put much work into this front set up. Looking good highway>

#67 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

Personally, I would remove the mold lines from the upright bars, and either Alclad or Spaz-sticks it. If I had the cash, time, and more part going that way, I would send it out for re-chroming.

Already one step ahead of you, Bradley! B) I do plan on removing the mold line and either respraying with Alclad or using Wagoneer81's idea and paint the uprights body color. All the sanding I've done to shape the bumper, I just didn't get the uprights done, yet! :lol:

#68 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

in creditable! now can I net pick? could be the way picture was taken but, is one of the bars blocking the head lamp distorting the beam,No the answer isn't it's only a model, it's engineering! All & all you put much work into this front set up. Looking good highway>

Sure, Ken, I'll allow you to nit pick! B) I think some of the reason it looks like the bars are blocking the headlights, along with the "9000" in the grille, may be the way the picture was taken. I think some of it is also because I don't have the final mounts built yet, and if you look real close in the center of the bumper, you'll see the strip of masking tape holding the bumper to the front of the truck. I might be a redneck, but I won't have tape holding the bumper in place for the final assembly!! :lol: Seriously, though, when I get the mounts finished and the look I was going for when I was building the bumper up and almost continually matching up to the hood, that will be fixed. The look after everything is done will have the headlights framed by the outer bar sections and the "9000" in the grille will also be framed by the center section.

#69 huffanpuff

huffanpuff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Lets see I have spent some time in truck stops in wv never thought of it as red neck unless you were a coal hauler. Although your population in 2000 was 817 & name three brothers well just may-be close to being red neck:lol:.they have it listed as a town in Ohio county,WV U.S.A. that kind of baffle's me:huh:. Well the time spent on this you may have to patten it. It will be a one of a kind & that is a good thing for I haven't seen anything close to it in pictures or this site. This is very good work . I watch your work progress & it makes me think did I miss anything on my own. It's a good thing.

#70 tanarries

tanarries

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:chip miller

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

think the bottom bar neds straitened out a little
you must have hit one tomany bulls with it lol
but seriously looking grate matt cant wait to see it done

#71 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

think the bottom bar neds straitened out a little
you must have hit one tomany bulls with it lol
but seriously looking grate matt cant wait to see it done

No, I didn't hit any bulls with it, a darn deer ran across the workbench right before I clicked the picture!!! :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I had to hit it since the brakes aren't installed yet!

#72 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

It's update time again! :rolleyes: I had been trying to figure out a mount for the bumper so it would move with the hood opening and closing, but no such luck. I finally decided to just make it removeable and made a simple mount out of two sizes of square brass tubing I had laying around. I did fix the height to where I wanted it so the crossbars of the bumper would frame the "9000" in the grille and also so the bars were not in front of the headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first pic was taken lower down than the second, that's why it may appear like the bars are in different spots, but the bumper didn't move between the two! :lol:

I also got some goodies from Eric (Porky) at P&P Vintage Kits & Resin Works for the truck.

Posted Image

By the way, the breathers are not for this truck, I just got them to have on hand. Here is a mock up with the fenders and step boxes.

Posted Image

And with the trailer:

Posted Image

The trailer will hopefully be finished this week, and I plan to stop at the auto parts store to pick up the paint for the truck, and hopefully have some color on it this week as well.

#73 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

I can't wait to see it painted...

It is very cool!

Kostas.

#74 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:04 AM

Is it crazy that the trailer will end up shorter than the tractor?!

#75 huffanpuff

huffanpuff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

Looks cool & like whale said, truck looks longer than trailer & that going down the highway would get many looks & comments because, of that look I am sure but, me I see it's a mock set up on how you may do AC & wind guard but, I would dump the headache rack. That's me! The fenders gives that whole truck a plus look.

#76 modeltruckmafia

modeltruckmafia

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

Love the look of your truck. Here are 2 Big sleepers I built awhile ago
Posted Image
377 Monster Sleeper

Posted Image
Helicopter Hauler

Keep up the good work

#77 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Is it crazy that the trailer will end up shorter than the tractor?!

Yeah, Bradley, it's a little crazy, but I'm a little crazy, too! :lol: Actually I have used my scale rulers on both, and the real truck would be 2 feet shorter in 1:1. The truck is 1:24 and scales to 38 feet long, and the AMT trailer is 1:25 and scales to 40 foot long, but I have never been one to nit oick between the two scales! :D If I would have had an extra trailer, I would have made a 53 foot spread axle like a more modern trailer, but oh well.

#78 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

Looks cool & like whale said, truck looks longer than trailer & that going down the highway would get many looks & comments because, of that look I am sure but, me I see it's a mock set up on how you may do AC & wind guard but, I would dump the headache rack. That's me! The fenders gives that whole truck a plus look.

Thanks, Ken, and the mock up with the wing and A/C, plus the parts I got from Porky, is what I have in mind for the final product. I can't dump the headache rack, though, because even though I don't need a headache rack hauling cattle, I may also use this for other trailers later. The main reason it's on there, though, is it is hiding the square tubing I have glued to the top of the frame rail as a sleeper support and frame stiffener. The tubing sticks far enough out from the sleeper that the rack and deckplate for it covers the added tubing, and the tubing is also past where I cut the frame to add support there.

#79 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

I can't wait to see it painted...

It is very cool!

Kostas.

Thanks, and belive me, I can't wait to get the paint on it! :lol:

#80 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Love the look of your truck. Here are 2 Big sleepers I built awhile ago

Keep up the good work

Thanks, modeltruckmafia (didn't see your name anywhere), and thanks for the pics of yours! I esecially like the Pete 377, I have been trying to think of a way to mount my wing to the sleeper, and I like the way you did yours. It looks simple and does the job! By the way, what size is that sleeper, it looks a lot like the 230 inch I have planned for a future build.