Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 25 T Double kit review with pics

Just picked mine up today and figured I'd share some pics. All I have to say is...awesome. I'm no expert on the various versions of this kit over the past 45+ years, but I'll comment on what I see so far

The chopped coupe body is back. And there is both clear and red tinted "glass" for it. Also a set of beautifully chromed wheel covers and chromed steel wheels. The interior for the roadster has been retooled to tuck and roll rather than the square pleats of the last few issues.

Also included are a pair of the sweet, pad-printed, narrow white wall slicks and 4 medium white wall tires. A really well done decal sheet is in there too, as well as the standard "mini-box" and "Kat from AMT" sticker that have become the norm from the new AMT.

100_2540-vi.jpg

100_2542-vi.jpg

100_2543-vi.jpg

100_2545-vi.jpg

100_2546-vi.jpg

I will be getting more of these, without a doubt. Now I'm just torn on which way to build it first, but as you can see by the pic I've kinda made my choice

100_2549-vi.jpg

This is pretty nice looking.....I had an original as a kid and was always very enthralled with the possibility of building "11 versions"!!!!! Holy cow did anyone ever do that????!!!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Hottt Digggggity Dog !!!!!!! White wall tires Full Moons AGAIN The Roll an Pleats er back and so be the Coupe ............. Uh Mabel , this is da BIGG ONE ........... oh Oh my There're commin fer me ........... Oh lord ...... Ed Shaver :lol::o:lol::D

doesnt this come in a tin also? if so, does the tin version include stuff (presumably) not in the box version, like the double dragster? or is the only difference that it is in a fancy tin box?

No, there is only one version of this kit, unlike the Double Dragster kit. The Double T kit was supposed to include a tin display base, but I looked at the Round2 page and the tin display base is no longer mentioned.

khart, that is VERY nice!! Way cool! ..and to think, I just spent about 3 months locating parts and cleaning up an old original black plastic glue-bomb build of that chopped rod so I could build it...and along comes...Oh well, now I'll get to build two versions. LOVE THAT BOX ART!!

Joe

The first issue of this kit (in 1960) had only the tuck'n'roll interior and the seperate bucket seats for the coupe. The first major retooling of the kit (in 1965) included a re-engraving of the tuck'n'roll tub to the diamond pleat, and all subsequent reissues up until the new Round 2 had the diamond pleat. The kit was never available with both the tuck'n'roll and diamond pleat together in one kit box.

Best regards....TIM

I'm thinking that the first issue had the tuck'n'roll tub for the roadster body, the buckets for the coupe body, and a stock seat for the stock fendered version roadster. Seems like the stock seat has always been there. Does that sound right?

Edited by chebbysteve

First off I'm very glad to have this kit back at an affordable price and in white plastic. I just got mine today. I'm very pleased with many aspects of the kit but a little disappointed that the mag wheels and original backing plates have been retooled. Did the original 1962 issue have the mags or steel wheels(or both)? But overall I think that AMT has hit another home run and deserves 2 thumbs up.

The original issue came with steel wheels and full moon covers. The next versions had the mags instead. Im happy this kit is back in original form. But it might have been a better idea to do the coupe with a stock height roof like someone else mentioned. Its very easy to chop the stock one. Harder to add to the chopped one.

Steve

Edited by chebbysteve

Just for everyones information , the Testor's Model T kit IS A REPOP of much of A M T 's 1965 offering . Let me explain a might here . Yes , the body is Diecast and the box says 1-24th . However , check inside and what you get are many of the pieces the A M T kit had like the "Tall Body " , the seats , and even the chassis was VERY similar with steerable wheels too ! Now disregard the Chevrolet engine in the Testor Kit , throw in the Lincon , add the older A M T wheels , Bamm A M T ! Those Clever Chineese engineers changed just enough stuff to get around paying A M T a royalty fee !

PA240275-vi.jpg

If ya look closely at the upper right side there is a converted STOCK Ford Model T I built using the body from a Testor kit and A M T's fenders and wheels . Stop the whinning Children , all is not lost ! :( Ed Shaver

Hey guys...question.

I'm not a hot rod guy, and have never had the AMT T kits in any form. I know there's not enough in this kit to build 2 complete cars. However, I have the old AMT Parts Pack reissue with the "hot rod frame" in it.

Could you build 2 complete cars if you add that frame to what's in this box? Thanks in advance.

Yes,there ARE enough parts in the double kit to build 2 complete cars-one stock,one hot rod.

As Art told us some time ago, the tall coupe never had a really accurate stock interior. The seat with the gas tank in it was correct for the roadster. It was just a make-do for the stock height coupe. It's just not the right shape.

Steve

Edited by chebbysteve

What about the stock Model T wheels and tires? The original issue kit (fall 1961 IIRC) had these wheels molded with tires mounted, making for a very accurate wheel and tire combo. The Mid-70's modified reissue "23 T Roadster" kit had the wood wheels and rather crudely done vinyl tires.

My understanding from the original iHobby announcement of this kit was that the original, hard plastic wheel/tire combo's would be back in the kit. Are they?

Art

But, will it work with the AMT kit? Jimmy's Web site says it uses the Revell T-bucket rat rod (ex-Roth Tweedy Pie) as a donor.

I have both here and looks like it will. Not sure why Jimmy's web site suggested the Revell kit unless that was the only available kit it would fit. Not much use to sell a resin body and suggest only "unobtanable" kits as a doner for parts! :blink:

I have both here and looks like it will. Not sure why Jimmy's web site suggested the Revell kit unless that was the only available kit it would fit. Not much use to sell a resin body and suggest only "unobtanable" kits as a doner for parts! :blink:

You have it! this body fits the AMT release much better than the lRevell one, but at the time of its release, the Revell kit was the only kit that was available easily. thus the advice of the Revell kit even though everyone knew it would fit the AMT kit also (just in case you wanted to put it onto the '25 Roadster release)

• 2 years later...

I used to build model cars way back in my youth (in the early 60's)

I recently retired, and have started building again.

Today I was in the local hobby shop, and saw a re-issue of one of the very first kits I ever built, the AMT double T kit - the one with the chopped top coupe.

Even the box art looks the same (unless my memory fails me), and I was very tempted to buy it - but...

I would like to build it as I did originally, which was pretty much the same as the picture on the box, I even had painted it a similar gold color and I did use the motorcycle-style fenders just as you see it in the picture.

Those fenders are also shown in the picture on the side of the box, but on the bottom of the box where it shows the outline of the parts I couldn't find them. The brackets for them are shown on the bottom, but I didn't see those fenders.

So my question is, can anyone confirm whether these fenders are still included in this kit?

Or in the "Tall T" double kit, for that matter.

Thanks