The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge
Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:20 PM
Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:07 AM
I have to find a drop tube front suspension for my build before i can get back to it. If I cant i will attempt to build one, and im afraid of what it would look like.
The recently reissued AMT 1925 Double T kit comes with a drop tube front axle.
Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:06 PM
Very Nice Tony... where did
you source those wheels?
Revell Sidewinder Dodge kit.
Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:54 AM
Nice looking progress on that Impala. I'm glad to see that we get an extension till April 10th. It amazes me how most of that year went by so fast and life got in the way so much. I've got to get going on my Beetle. I've got to get the rear wing attached to the engine boot. I bough some paint for mine the other day and I'm ready to do a bit of experimenting on it. Now if it would just quit snowing around here. Got another 1 1/2 inches this morning! AAARrgggg!
Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:59 AM
Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:14 PM
Original Artwork that I was given at the start:
Picture of my build (with craft paper black & blue to look like the photo):
Slightly different angles:
Used Sidewinder kit wheels and tires as the original caption indicated. Also used Revell Viper kit brakes, and the brakes and wheels popped onto the kit suspension with no issues-the wheels do roll!
Used the Revell B-M '69 Camaro grille in place of the Impala kit grille, and cut the Impala emblem out and used the decal.
At the rear, on the decklid I shaved and filled the rear trunk lock. I should have slightly shortened the Caddy taillights. These were in the kit, and just used Tamiya clear red for the middle pair as they were molded in clear for the reverse lights.
This was the kit:
The chassis-Rear wheel tubs cut and material added to make room for the lowered suspension and big rear wheels. Cut the 59 spare hump out and added ribs. Rear of the exhaust is solder, and aluminum tubing:
Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:15 PM
Enjoy!! Here's a link to my build album if you'd care to take a look.
This was a fun build, and am looking forward to seeing how others built theirs!!
Just after taking these pictures...the model accidentally fell on the floor-I could kick myself! I caught my sweater sleeve on the craft paper base, pulling it off the table, and it fell square on the roof on the floor from the table...I got it back together but the rear roof pillars are a mess-the left one broke, the right one crimped, and the rear glass popped out, and has a crack at the lower right...No other damage, but a few scratches, which another coat of Future will cover, and a couple of parts came off...the rear pillars look terrible, especially the left one. This will still look great on my shelf!
EDIT: So after looking at the remaining damage, I was able to use a clothes peg to clamp the c pillar to the rear glass, and run a bead of clear. We'll see in the morning if it holds. The left c pillar may be able to be touched up, and may hide the repair not too badly.
Edited by Tony T, 05 March 2011 - 04:33 PM.
Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:39 PM
The Impala looks great though. Hopefully the night alone will do it good.
Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:32 AM
Edited by Tony T, 06 March 2011 - 07:33 AM.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:52 PM
Left C pillar - Not quite aligned, but it was a small piece:
Looks okay from here:
Front end, no damage:
A peak at the dash:
Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:40 PM
I just got done gluing some small Rare Earth magnets onto the body and engine boot so that it will stay in place yet be easily removable.
Tomorrow I'll probably strip the interior paint and try and get it repainted in a two tone tan paint again.
Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:41 PM
The engine looks good, as do the body mods you made.
Edited by Tony T, 11 March 2011 - 05:42 PM.
Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:03 PM
Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:26 PM
Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:22 AM
I've been there, Tom...Models do provide a nice diversion for a bit, helps the stress. Good luck on the job front.
Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:00 AM
First of all I shaved the handles off of the interior panels. I'm going to put some P.E. power window switches on. I've had them for years and keep forgetting to use them. here are the shaved panels.
I think that I am finally settled on a light blue and white interior color. Blue will be Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue.
For the body, I decided that the closest I could come to matching the color is using the Tamiya Coral blue with some of their X-25 Clear Green mixed with the clear coat and misted on as a highlight. Should work.
Next I lowered the mounting points for the front bumper to get it to line up with the bottom of the fender. To do this I cut notches in the body below the mounting holes, which will be filled.
More to come.
Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:07 AM
As I compare the height of the bumpers to that of the drawing the bumpers don't seem tall enough. I'm sure this wasn't intentional by Jairus, but, as we are trying to match the look of the drawing, I think that I will make them a tad taller.
Here is the link to the drawing-
My idea is to add a strip of #240 half round to the bottoms of the bumpers and mold them in.
That's it for today. I'm still waiting for a bit of warmer/dryer weather to do some painting. Till then I'll keep on with the small mods. Gonna work on these bumpers a bit and perhaps get the exhaust figured out today.
Edited by Modlbldr, 17 March 2011 - 07:14 AM.