#321 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

Got a bit more progress made these last couple of days. I sanded the welting(??) off between the body and fenders to clean up the front and back ends a bit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I also filled and sanded the original mounting holes for the bumpers and started adding the height to the bumpers. What I did for this was judged where i wanted the extra height. I determined that from the way the bumpers sat in relation to the body the rear bumper needed the height added on the top and the front needed it added to the bottom. I started by gluing the half round strip to the respective edge then filled in the gap with some hex rod that was all I had on hand that was small enough to work.
Here is the front bumper before putty and sanding.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Once the putty is in place and dry, I'll sand it down and get more photos posted. I've managed to get enough good weather to start the interior painting. Got the panels, seats, steering wheel, and center consoles painted gloss white. Next is to tape off for the Coral blue. Hopefully today. I'll have most of the day alone but I'm working on sanding my bedroom walls for painting too. Always some sort of "honey do".

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 20 March 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#322 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

I got a chance today to do a bit of puttying on the bumpers. I ended up having to put another strip of half round (this time Evergreen #242)on each bumper to give it even more height.
Posted Image
Posted Image
It looks as if the rear bumper is going to have to sit lower than the drawing in order to clear the engine cover. Oh well. I may get out to the model room tonight to do the taping of the interior for the second color, Coral blue. The white is all painted. Thanks for looking. Any comments welcomed.

Later-

#323 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Tom, that is is just FANTASTIC! The amount of work you are putting into this piece is phenomenal. Keep it up, you have three weeks dude... B)

#324 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

Here's a question - Is simply posting your completed model photos in this thread the way to submit for the contest??B)

#325 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

Jairus-

Thanks for the encouragement. Sure wish I'd gotten off of my dead rump a few months ago and focused on this. Sure is a lot of little stuff left to do that I hadn't really though about. Plus, the weather isn't wanting to cooperate. But, you being in Portland, I'm sure you're getting it too. Anywho.... I'm still plugging along.

Tony-
Somehow I don't think that it's going to be that way. I would send Fletch a PM and ask. I haven't heard him around these parts in a while. I hope everything is OK with him. Whatever the process is going to be I'll need to get in on it. I doubt I'll have the time or money to head to Portland, as much as I'd love too. I've got to meet Jairus someday.... (Just a little sucking up there).

Later-

#326 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

Here's a question - Is simply posting your completed model photos in this thread the way to submit for the contest??:(

Dave Fletcher is just fine! He spent the whole weekend, Friday - Sunday afternoon at the Portland Roadster Show hosting the model car contest. (bet he is tired :D ) Today he's mostlikely back at work and I am sure... ready and willing to answer your question this afternoon.
As for those building long distance entries, my guess would be to take some nice "glamor shots" and post them here. We can then take prints to the show where the judging will be held. I have been asked to judge so my suggestion would be to take the best picture at the same angle as the drawing was produced. In my viewpoint, it is only that angle which I will judge how closely the build matches the art. Other judges will grade based on the standards I suppose. With additional details only being the cream on top of the banana split!

I've got to meet Jairus someday.... (Just a little sucking up there).

Ah, Thanks, but you'd only be disappointed.... ;)

#327 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Ah, Thanks, but you'd only be disappointed.... :)

Yeah, Maybe you're right. :o :o
Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 21 March 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#328 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

Thanks, Jairus. :lol:

#329 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

I started off tonight to work on the exhaust and instead I ended up wiring the engine. Oh well, it needed done anyway.
Here is the start.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The little dizzy with coil wire.
Posted Image

Almost there. Getting them wires on the right fished back behind everything was a pain!
Posted Image

And here it is finished.
Posted Image
I got the wires on the left pushed down for a little sag and to clear a pipe that is to be put on in the future.
This was the easiest wiring job I've done so far. All of the wires cooperated and went to their homes. I'm just glad that it is a 4 instead of 8 cylinder!

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 25 March 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#330 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

Pics show the coil wire not on the coil so I fixed it. Should fire right up now.

Later-

#331 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

The weather is still not cooperating with me. Just took these a few minutes ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Been getting this "Liquid Sunshine" for weeks. Doesn't the weather know I have a deadline to meet? Or, maybe it does.

Gonna have to get out to the hobby room and paint anyway real soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'll be done with painting the bathroom by then. Then most of the day will be mine.

Later-

#332 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Olson

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

well I got the new beetle Posted Image
I started with the revell snap kit because that is what I had on hand. looked pretty straight forward at first blush. but after studying the artwork it appears to have a slight wide body look to it so I added some plastic around the wheel wells and the rocker panel.next up hand formed aluminum front spoilers after that the pegasus wheels didn't look right as is (17")so I got some sleeves and they looked better.the exhaust dumps were a head scratcher I ended up using acrylic nail filler (thank you for the technique tutorial)and drilling out the holes then carving the actual shape.I bought an old testors porsche for the rear spoiler,which I added a filler piece instead of the grille that would be there normally. I also added strips of plastic around all the window frames so I could add my own windows.after a little bodywork sanding and shaping I threw down some primer sanded a little more putty ,more primer ,slight sanding good enough primed with white primer then went to some gloss white for the stripes a light gloss over the white before taping the stripes. sat down to tape off the stripes and that dang yellow plastic bled through and I swear it wasn't there before the gloss coat.after two coats of B.I.N. primer and the whole white/gloss coats I got the stripes taped off.now the number one reason I don't finish a lot comes down to painting so I decided to use my airbrush for the blue. it came out great with two coats through the air brush I was pleased I am going to get this thing done before the new deadline.after the blue had dried I took out the old can of gloss coat sprayed on two medium coats and was two feet away from the dehydrater the bottom fell off the tamiya paint stand which I caught in mid air however the body decided to follow suit and jumped off the stand and somehow landed on all six sides .so here are some progress shots. :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I will finish on time! what could go wrong?

Edited by randx0, 28 March 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#333 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

Man, Randy. That thing was beautiful too. It's a shame that happened.
I was beginning to think that I was the only one left building. Good to see I've got company.
Tonight's progress is taping off the interior panels for the Coral paint TOMORROW, no matter what! Then I'll get the PE window switches in place.
I'm going to wash the body first thing in the morning and get a coat of primer on it to see where I stand. I know that I still have body work to do on the side scoops on the doors.
Posted Image

I also began the exhaust work tonight. I got two pieces bent identically and they will somehow be joined into one collector then into the stinger.
That will come tomorrow night.
Posted Image
I'm hoping for decent weather tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm cranking the heat in the hobby room and spraying anyway.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 29 March 2011 - 12:35 PM.

#334 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:55 AM

Man, Randy. That thing was beautiful too. It's a shame that happened.
I was beginning to think that I was the only one left building. Good to see I've got company.
Tonight's progress is taping off the interior panels for the Coral paint TOMORROW, no matter what! Then I'll get the PE window switches in place.
I'm going to wash the body first thing in the morning and get a coat of primer on it to see where I stand. I know that I still have body work to do on the side scoops on the doors.
I also began the exhaust work tonight. I got two pieces bent identically and they will somehow be joined into one collector then into the stinger.
I'm hoping for decent weather tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm cranking the heat in the hobby room and spraying anyway.

Later-

Thank you,and good luck to you !

#335 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

Guys, you might think you are the only one building but remember... there are about 10 members of Scale Auto Builders Association who are building/have already completed their entries! Most of these guys are older, rarely on the computer, and have many years of experience building. Not to mention they will be at the show with their cars. So.... take excellent pictures of your completed project and post it here or email to Dave Fletcher.

While I am not able to complete my build... we are still looking at 20 - 30 entries! B)

#336 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Jairus-

I was sure that I wasn't the only one out there but it was getting lonely. I may be able to get my kit transported to the contest..if the weather and my honey do list would cooperate. It's raining again today and I am still putting my bedroom and bathroom back together. Then I have a little tree to plant and a garden bed to build today. But, I do have the heater in the model room going. Gonna get out there some time today.

Later-

#337 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

Well, still more rainy weather. But I've kept my promise to myself and got the interior painted with the Coral blue paint. I untaped the seats but the body parts that are supposed to be metal are still taped off to get a mist coat of clear green over the blue.
Posted Image

I also replaced the gear shifter with a straight pin that I bent to shape.
Posted Image
I also primed all of the body parts and can see that I've got a bit more work to do on it.

It's progress.

Later-

#338 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

progress report got it stripped.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
now for the B.I.N.

#339 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

While I am not able to complete my build... we are still looking at 20 - 30 entries! :)

I hope we'll get some good photos when it happens. I was quite disappointed this thread wasn't more active.

#340 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

heres a little more progress
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image