What's the BEST "chrome" looking paint???

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Intrepid_R/T

Intrepid_R/T

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Full Name:Art Acevedo

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

I've tried Model Master, Tamiya, and other jars of paint but none of them look chrome. THEY LOOK SILVER. What's the best chrome-looking paint I can buy? I would really appreciate ANY help. Thanks.

#2 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

Alclad. :D

#3 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

Alclad Chrome lacquer is very close to chrome plating. If you are doing a large area like this trialer:

Posted Image

you can use aluminum foil applied with some sprayable craft glue. I have just sprayed another trailer with Krylon "Original Chrome", after it is dry I'll take a pic of it. It is like most of the chrome spray paints, though, it has more of a shiny aluminum look rather than chrome, but seems to reflect better than most.

#4 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

The paint has dried on the other trailer with the Krylon "Original Chrome" spray paint. Here's what it looks like:

Posted Image

#5 outlaw035

outlaw035

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Full Name:neal

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

without a doubt....spaz stix ultimate mirror chrome...just used it for the 1st time its easy and its looks great...

#6 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have a jar of that HWJapan ginseng stuff but haven't tried it yet. Have you tried it George53?

#7 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

Alsa- this is an automotive system and takes a little more to apply but it is killer. Also not cheap. http://www.alsacorp.com/

#8 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

without a doubt....spaz stix ultimate mirror chrome...just used it for the 1st time its easy and its looks great...

Me too. And it comes in a spray can, but it's gotta be sprayed on top of glossy black. I used it over Alclad black "lacquer" undercoat, and it looks fantastic. I don't know about any other undercoat. What did you use, Outlaw?

#9 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

Me too. And it comes in a spray can, but it's gotta be sprayed on top of glossy black. I used it over Alclad black "lacquer" undercoat, and it looks fantastic. I don't know about any other undercoat. What did you use, Outlaw?

One bit of caution. Alclad black is an enamel and not a lacquer. You have to keep this in mind when top coating. I always apply clear over the base coat as that is what Alsa calls for and I get great results with any of the chrome paints. I just happen to like the Alsa system, because I bought a quart and split it up so a lot of my friends got a bottle at a relatively low cost.