#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

The TR-3 is pretty basic kit. Looks good enough - curbside.

Here:

http://www.percongrp...s/tr3a-1_ms.htm

That is a re-pop of an old (I believe Hubley) kit.  I have built it.  Simple, (yes basic) somewhat heavy handed, not the fault of Minicraft, just inherent in the old tooling.  It is similar in feel to the Rolls Royce, ...clunky.

What they said. It can be made into a decent looking model with a little work, though.

Edited by Michigan Madman, 17 January 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#22 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have the 1:24th TR-3 and RR, and one big scale Minicraft in my stash--a 1:16th scale '50s Mercedes 300SL gullwing coupe...looks pretty nice, haven't built it though.  Does that kit originate w/ Gakken also?   I'm not much into 1:16th but 300SLs always caught my attention over the years...

Edited by Rob Hall, 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#23 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Minicraft has very few molds of their own. They lease rent barrow molds from other manufactures. Thus the kits run from great to only fair.....all depends on the kit.

Much the same as lindbergh, depending on the kit it can be great to fair. As with many companies thier airplane kits are superior to most of thier car kits. IIRC I once had a minicraft Mercedes Gullwing kit, that was decently detailed but a tad fussy getting it together so the doors worked. I remember the drivers door never worked right so I displayed it passenger side out. :D 

#24 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I have the 1:24th TR-3 and RR, and one big scale Minicraft in my stash--a 1:16th scale '50s Mercedes 300SL gullwing coupe...looks pretty nice, haven't built it though.  Does that kit originate w/ Gakken also?   I'm not much into 1:16th but 300SLs always caught my attention over the years...

It's an original Gakken, also boxed by Entex, et al. It's kind of a toss-up between this one and the different 1/16 Italeri Gullwing, but mashed together you've got the best Gullwing available. Like every Gullwing kit ever issued at any scale, you have to be careful about getting proper door fit. Italeri has a complete array of chrome pieces for windows, etc, and Minicraft requires foiling or Alclad on window surrounds, etc., and uses decals instead of chrome for scripts and other trim. But it's the only one that has a complete spaceframe, and it has the best wheels and tires. Italeri has a more complete interior, and requires putty for the joining of the upper and lower body valances -- Minicraft has a more accurate body, produced in one molding, with no need for that. Italeri has somewhat crisper and more detailed engine molding. Unlike Italeri, you'll need to sand away the back of the Minicraft grille to put real mesh behind it. I'm told that joining the body to the spaceframe on the Minicraft can be tricky. Check the site of the late Martin Swire for build information...

http://www.freewebs....55merc300sl.htm

Edited by sjordan2, 19 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#25 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

PS: Clark Gable's 1955 Gullwing just went UNSOLD a few minutes ago at Barrett-Jackson for $1,900,000. They typically go for around $750,000.

#26 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just picked this one up from Tower,,,$24.95, and free shipping,

I have been finding weekly deals in their closeouts and dent sections...you gotta keep looking, as some are there for less than a week. Grand sport corvette same way!

MC11233.jpg

#27 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,720 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Much the same as lindbergh, depending on the kit it can be great to fair. As with many companies thier airplane kits are superior to most of thier car kits. IIRC I once had a minicraft Mercedes Gullwing kit, that was decently detailed but a tad fussy getting it together so the doors worked. I remember the drivers door never worked right so I displayed it passenger side out. :D 

I think Kevin put it best here- asking about a Minicraft kit is a lot like asking about a Lindberg kit. Both brands are kind of an 'ask around before you buy' proposition.