Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

Well, I've spent over an hour reading this stuff and I can't believe people argue over these kits. They're models for crying out loud, and very good ones at that. I have both kits and will build them in time. As you can see in this pic I do have them.

DSC03232.jpg

Now if you want to discuss dificult models here are two of them, the 46-48 Fords by Testors. I also will build them when I get to them. Everything is in line to get built.

DSC03231.jpg

I enjoy building and I also enjoy this Forum. What I don't like is politics. Please leave politics out of modeling. Enjoy this hobby and all the friends you meet on the different forums, and ignor the ones who try to start arguments. Just my 2cents fellas. Relax and enjoy the hobby. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

As the one who illustrated the directions but didn't write them... I will answer that. Gary and I talked at great length about including color specifications and we kept coming to the single question... WHO'S colors? A stock vehicle had any number of interior color and material choices. The exterior as well. The only color we could specify would have been a stock engine and chassis. A custom could have had it's engine re-painted ANY COLOR!

Plus, is there not a color painting of the frame and engine illustrated on the outside of the box? I am not sure why this statement keeps coming up but I have heard it over and over.

Yes, there was, but it is not prototypical or correct. Chevy's six of this vintage was a gray/blue color, not red, nor were the suspension components red, but semi gloss black. It's a nice painting, but not correct.

I agree that a color call-out for the exterior for those of us building factory-stock would've been helpful. For example, the 1946 Chevy paint chips I've seen list 1941-42-46, and they don't tell you which colors were available during what years, and the 1947-'48 chips aren't much better, although I suspect they may have just carried over colors (quite possible.)

Also, not ever color was available on every body style, a common practice during the 1930s-50s. I found this for the 1946 models (the one I intend to build,) but the color chart from the same manual was so small, it was illegible.

The Old Car Manual Project 1946 Chevy specs book

As a service to the modeling community, I'll keep poking around and see what I can find, and post usable information as I find it.

Charlie Larkin

Yes, there was, but it is not prototypical or correct. Chevy's six of this vintage was a gray/blue color, not red, nor were the suspension components red, but semi gloss black. It's a nice painting, but not correct.

Did I say it was correct? :)

Yes, the Internet is now and was then in our discussions as the major source for the average modeler regarding colors.

Even that can be diluted by misinformation.

Ford employees during the 30's admitted that from one pallet of engine green to the next the color was slightly different. Engine paint being nothing more than a rust inhibitor.

But I did demonstrate a version of the frame painted. ;)

I LOVE these kits!

I don't have a photo at the moment, but a woody version of the Aerosedan won best in show at the MCMA's Showdown in Irving, TX back in March. I'll post pictures of it when I get home, if I remember.

Edited by Nate

...another one...

102807WingsWheelsRotors497-vi.jpg

102807WingsWheelsRotors498-vi.jpg

I'm leaning very strongly towards two-tone green myself. On the '46 (dark/light green) is that a new plate that California has? It looks a little different.

The one thing I truly envy about the people of southern California and the southwest, they can drive beautiful cars like that all year. Here, we have to let them hibernate at least a third to half of it.

Charlie Larkin

This car almost inspired me to start building. I saw it at Bonneville. It was a beautifully detailed car with GMC engine with all kinds of speed goodies on it. I think it went 139 when I saw it back in 90 or 91. Was that the year you were out there, Jairus? I am sure you would have remembered it!

bville42chev0001-vi.jpg

This car almost inspired me to start building. I saw it at Bonneville. It was a beautifully detailed car with GMC engine with all kinds of speed goodies on it. I think it went 139 when I saw it back in 90 or 91. Was that the year you were out there, Jairus? I am sure you would have remembered it!

bville42chev0001-vi.jpg

was it running a blown 6???

Andy, I have never been to "Speed week". Gregg, James and I stopped by the flats after the 2005 GSL and we saw nothing on the salt but the rental van we drove. It was boring except for the fact that Gregg had to lick the salt to prove to himself it was indeed salt! True story!

... It was boring except for the fact that Gregg had to lick the salt to prove to himself it was indeed salt! True story!

Now THAT'S funny!!

Kinda ironic that a New Kit Review of a kit this old is still going, going and going....

(with apologizes to the Energizer Bunny)

Andy, I have never been to "Speed week". Gregg, James and I stopped by the flats after the 2005 GSL and we saw nothing on the salt but the rental van we drove. It was boring except for the fact that Gregg had to lick the salt to prove to himself it was indeed salt! True story!

I could have sworn you were there. There was a mini-NNL in Mark Gustavson's garage. I must have mixed you up with some other guys from Oregon. Oh well.

I could have sworn you were there. There was a mini-NNL in Mark Gustavson's garage. I must have mixed you up with some other guys from Oregon. Oh well.

Oh come on now, Andy. There has never been a mini NNL in Mark's garage and you know it! That makes about as much sense as putting a small block Chevy in a Ford street rod (oh...wait)....and those guys were from Ohio and Michigan, not Oregon...and it was summer 1980, not 2005....oops...now I'm the one that is confused. (Full of insider jokes here). Smile....TIM

• 2 weeks later...

I love this kit. My Aero is in mid build and I used styrene strips to replicate the trim. Frame is painted and detailed engine installed. Haven't decided what color it will be. I saw these at our LHSs (both) and are priced under thirty. I'm thinking about buying the sedan delivery too. As I said in a different thread, a new version of this car will be out in the fall as a five window coupe. I got that from a very reliable source while at a Buick car show/Lionel train exhibit Sunday.