#1 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

I'm currently unemployed, so I'm having to watch my money. That said, I'd still like to get a good magnifying visor so I can keep doing a certain level of detailing. I did a search last night, but noticed that some of the more expensive units ($40.00+) are listed as "overrated" given the cost, mostly because of marginal features like LED lighting that didn't help much, or a close-up detail lens that wouldn't stay in place. OTOH, ratings for the cheaper units ($12.00) ranged anywhere from one star (wavy plastic lenses, cheap materials, fell apart) to five stars (best thing I've ever bought - I can see through walls).

So...is it possible to buy a quality unit at a lower price? Links?

#2 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

I can't give you any specific stores or sites, but you might want to check into surplus and overstock stores. I've never seen a magnifying visor in any of these such stores I frequent, but then again, stores like that have inventory that changes constantly.

#3 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Check out a Micro Mark catalog. I bought a pair of Opti-Visors from there quite a while ago, and I won't work without them anymore! They were only 29 bucks then, an I haven't checked what they go for now, but them rascals are worth it! Posted Image Posted Image

#4 gbdolfans

gbdolfans

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Full Name:George Bluhm

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hey Monty!!!! Are you FULL!!! :) :lol:
If you have a Harbour Freight store near you,check it out.
I have one about 3 miles from me and there are good finds there.I got a visor there with an optional extra round eyepiece that is GREAT!!!
I think it was about $15-20 and works great.I use it all the time as I am an old fart and need the added vision.
Hope this help.Sorry,don't know the name of it.

#5 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I have a pair very similar to these:
http://www.micromark...IFIER,7844.html
The visor itself looks like the same on I have, but mine is not lighted, and I think I bought mine from one of the travelling tool shows that sell from tractor trailers. I pretty sure mine were only around $10, and I have had them for quite a few years. It has plastic lens, but very good clarity, and it has the extra flip down piece and the monical like the one's pictured in the link. If you'd choose to go with these, they would be worth the money.

#6 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

If you must have a head mount buy an optivisor....it is worth every penny.

That said I have worked on a repair bench for 20 yrs or so. As I wear eyeglasses I have several jewelers loupes,that clip to my frames.

You can get different powers and / or multiple lens sets on one frame. I also have a round flourescent magnifiying lamp. I do not use

my optivisor any more as I found the more you use it the more you NEED it.....your eyes get spoiled by this...and do get weaker...

just my cents worth.......

#7 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

If you have a Harbour Freight store near you,check it out.

I just checked their website, and CHECK THESE OUT!!!
http://www.harborfre...temnumber=38896
Those look exactly like the ones I sent you the other link for, but a whole lot cheaper!! Again, looks the same as mine, but with the lights.

#8 gbdolfans

gbdolfans

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Full Name:George Bluhm

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I just checked their website, and CHECK THESE OUT!!!
http://www.harborfre...temnumber=38896
Those look exactly like the ones I sent you the other link for, but a whole lot cheaper!! Again, looks the same as mine, but with the lights.

Yes!!!!
This is the one I have!!!

#9 astroracer

astroracer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

Pick up some cheap magnifying reading glasses. I have a couple of the magnifying visors but quite using them because the glasses are much easier. You can get them up to 3X or so and I have found 1.5X to be plenty. I have found them on clearance at Target and wallyworld for a couple of bucks.
Mark S.

Edited by astroracer, 14 April 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#10 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I love my Optivisor. I have not had good luck with off brands. I had one and it fell apart after a couple of years. The plastic got brittle and just broke in two.

#11 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

OptiVisor 100%. Why? Well, the most important tool you work with is your eyes. If you buy cheap, you can cause strain and give yourself headaches. I have had my OptiVisor for 15 years and as my eyes get worse with age I can buy stronger lenses. There is a reason that if you watch watch repairman at work they always have a genuine Optivisor. They are a bit pricey but I guarantee you will only buy it one time. If you are short on money, save for it over time. These are less than a couple of kits but something you will use every day. Frankly, Micromark is not the least expensive place to buy. I got mine through a local hardware store.

Also check out this lighting system. http://www.micromark...VISOR,8608.html It was my Christmas present from my family. It is spectacular. Works very well and the batteries last a long time.

Being able to see well is a lot different that just being able to see. Treat your eyes well and you will be more inclined to build more often. My two cents!

#12 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:58 AM

Another good option, which I use, is a magnifying ring lamp with an adjustable arm. Like this one:

http://www.delphigla...&source=froogle

#13 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

If you must have a head mount buy an optivisor....it is worth every penny

I could not agree MORE!!!
I have tried others...and gave them away because they sucked.
One of the best investment I made!

David

#14 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

I do not use my optivisor any more as I found the more you use it the more you NEED it.....your eyes get spoiled by this...and do get weaker...

My optometrist says that is an old wives tale. Your eyes will not grow weaker by using the visor. However, your eyes will grow weaker with age. So the time you start needing and using one will be as you get older. He said that if I put it on, and my eyes take a real loud "sigh", then I needed to put the visor on. He claims it will not weaken my current eyesight.

Just my 2 cents. Not worth it, I might add.

David

#15 wilderness1989

wilderness1989

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:John Gray

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Opti-Visors are what to get I keep one by each workbench.  I've had one pair for 30 years and they are still great.

#16 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yep, I heartily agree on the use and merits of my Optivisor.  I've been using them for almost 20 years.

#17 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I concur with my esteemed colleagues as to the quality of the Optivisor.

#18 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Monty - i have an extra #4 Optivisor you can have for postage.

#19 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

So, seeing that this thread is 3 years old, what did you settle on, Monty? Are you happy with it?

#20 Ognib

Ognib

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Haines

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

I've got a set o bifocalf bench eyeglasses, from my eye doc, that pulls stuff in a bit, and a set of clip on, flip up/flip down 2x magnification lenses as well for fine detail work.