Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Not a stupid question at all Dan. I drew out where the holes were to be made, drilled the corners of the hole pattern, and then connected the corners with more drill holes until I was able to finish removing the scrap with a hobby knife. Cleaned up the hole edges with a hobby knife and a little sandpaper.

If you are wanting to do this, might I suggest making the holes before glueing the upper K-Member piece to the lower K-member piece, as it would make clean-up of the hole a lot easier (I didn't do it that way, learn from my mistake!).

So I am still in limbo as to where my meshes came from...no matter as they work fine and I have them! :)

I will have the engine oil pan modified hopefully by the end of this evening or maybe Tuesday night (my work week starts tonight) as the Mustang used a double sump pan and the kit pan (all of the Monogram/Revell issues in 1/24th scale) is a single rear sump pan.

Edited by whale392

I have finally decided that I will build my 1982 Dale Earnhardt Thunderbird.

HPIM1636.jpg

I will be trying to build it as his winning car from the April 4 1982 Rebel 500 in Darlington, SC, which was his first win with Bud Moore Racing. I'm a die hard Earnhardt fan, and always will be!

YES! Just want to let y'all know that I just won an unbuilt '87 T-Bird Turbo-Coupe on eBay so, I'll be able to start on this one after I finish the '57 Suburban. I'll throw the 4-banger in the parts box, transplant a 5.0 or 5.8, give it a 5-lug 4-wheel disk conversion and go from there... Basically, turn it into what the Thunderbird should have been to begin with... I'll start a thread on it when I have something to show. :unsure:

I guess I'm game, though I've got a long history of not finishing group build projects (or projects in general!). I'll either get going on this '93 Cobra tube chassis XTF car, either with a nitrous big block or turbo'd big block. I might do a stock build with an '85 SVO, too. See which gets to the finish(ed) line first.

Got you added in there Mark! By the way; that your 4eye in your avatar? You over on foureyedpride or foxbodyforum?

It's the one I built and raced a couple years ago. I had a big block/Glide in it but it's got a Procharged 5.4 Navi motor now. I'm registered on both those forums but haven't done anything on them in a while. Here's another pic of the coupe - it's actually an '87 with an '86 nose - I wanted a four-eye but found the '87 first so I backdated it.

Yeah, most of the FEP guys can be a bit touchy about an identity-swapped car. Blown 5.4 sounds like she would motivate the coupe pretty well! Nice looking car.....I have an 83GLX vert, an 84 GT Turbo, and an 86 GT TTop/5spd for my 4eye cars, and a 91GT to satisfy my Aero 'Stang needs.

Yeah, most of the FEP guys can be a bit touchy about an identity-swapped car. Blown 5.4 sounds like she would motivate the coupe pretty well! Nice looking car.....I have an 83GLX vert, an 84 GT Turbo, and an 86 GT TTop/5spd for my 4eye cars, and a 91GT to satisfy my Aero 'Stang needs.

Sounds like you've got the bug pretty bad! Here's the '93 coupe I bought last year - ended up selling it about six months later to a buddy of Eric Stone's. It had 46K miles on it and I just couldn't bring myself to beat on it, or even drive it much. Now I'm sorta looking for another one. The yellow big block car was supposed to be a street/strip car but it didn't turn out that way - I'd still like to build a 500hp car to horse around with on the street.

The yellow car will be a drag radial/limited street car - should go low 8s or high 7s eventually, if he's gonna be competitive with it.

1679.jpg

I did some work on my engine the past few days, here is the progress so far.

HPIM1927.jpg

HPIM1928.jpg

HPIM1930.jpg

I'm thinking of maybe doing some wiring on it, at least spark plug wires. I didn't find much research material on the real car, so I'm winging it on some colors and details. The best I have is a picture in a book "The Dale Earnhardt Collection: Because Winning Matters", which chronicles all of his 76 wins. It has an on track shot of the car similar to the box art photo. I stripped the chrome from the intake and some other components to give them a more correct appearance. I used Dawn Power Dissolver to strip the chrome, it works GREAT!! I had the parts stripped to bare plastic in about 3-4 hours. I highly recommend it!

Got some pics of the build that I will be starting with.

Like I said, for some reason I was into the lowrider theme. :lol:

Wow! Sure is... gold! :lol:

I have a butt-load of reference pics of a pristine stock black 93 Cobra that was on CraigsList locally a while back, plus a buddy of mine (the guy that bought Mark Brown's Reef Blue coupe pictured above) has a red one I can photo anytime. If anyone needs some Cobra reference, or 89-93 5.0 reference, let me know.

Wow! Sure is... gold! :lol:

I have a butt-load of reference pics of a pristine stock black 93 Cobra that was on CraigsList locally a while back, plus a buddy of mine (the guy that bought Mark Brown's Reef Blue coupe pictured above) has a red one I can photo anytime. If anyone needs some Cobra reference, or 89-93 5.0 reference, let me know.

Do you happen to have any of the chassis/drivetrain? Those are the only pics that I couldn't find (other than one of the rear axle).

Since I didn't take these photos, I uploaded them to Flickr instead of my Fotki album where all my stuff goes.

Here are the 93 Cobra pics I have from the CraigsList ad-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23567200@N04/sets/72157623816348465/

I also got this link from a (LUCKY!) 93 Cobra R owner on FoxBodyForum for reference for a 93 Cobra R build I've (barely) started-

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee244/93R-Code/Cars/1993%20Mustang/

Engine's looking good Matt. You were right Jordan.........that is surely 'golden' on the underside. B)

That is one NICE coupe Mark!

I will hopefully have some more done on the 'vert this weekend.....keep up the work guys. You all inspire me!

I'd like to build 2 cars for this thread if I could.

The first one I started building like a year ago and lost interest, but I would really like to finish it.

(1993) Twin turbo, small block with a C6 trans:

mustang02.jpg

mustang03.jpg

mustang05.jpg

The second one, I started a couple weeks ago.

(1979) Turbocharged 2.5 liter with a C4 trans:

100_3152.jpg

I'd like to build 2 cars for this thread if I could.

The first one I started building like a year ago and lost interest, but I would really like to finish it.

(1993) Twin turbo, small block with a C6 trans:

The second one, I started a couple weeks ago.

(1979) Turbocharged 2.5 liter with a C4 trans:

Those look like great projects! Just curious about one thing, though.....why the C6 behind the small block? That's a lot of power to spin that big trans when a Glide or C4 would be a lot quicker on the track. I was originally going to run the C6 behind my big block until I found out it would cost me at least 40hp (or up to 75hp if non-rollerized) to turn the trans.

I agree with ya, man.

The only reason for this is, I only have one c4 and one c6 in my parts box and I definitely want to put a strong automatic behind the 4-banger.

If I place another order with M.A.D. sometime soon, I'll probably grab another C4 and save the C6 for something huge. :)

Thanks for the comment.

Some neat stuff going on here.

I am curious, has anyone ever done in resin a Fairmont/Zephyr or the early 1980s Granada (and I think the Mercury Cougar was the same body) or the Fox LTD/Marquis? I'm most interested in a wagon.

I'm aware of the ongoing Futura. I hope he decides to make it so I can build a street version as well, not just a racing car. I always thought those were pretty cars with the rear-window treatment. I keep an eye open in case I find one, and because they are what they are, they're not too expensive, either.

Let me see how things are progressing with me. I have a few kits I could join in with.

Charlie Larkin

Never too late to join in! I got you all updated and added to the list.

Meanwhile (I will have pics soon, I hope), I finished up the K-Member/motor mounts/power steering rack for the convertible and am moving to the rear to fix the lower control arms/shock mounts/add upper control arm detail and brake lines/details. Headers are done, new carb selected and painted, and heads getting worked to resemble GT40P irons. I have also cut the convertible top well and repositioned it to get a better fit for the rear wheelhouses.

Edited by whale392