#41 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Full Name:Don

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

Well gang.......the master for the body is close to making me smile......
There was a while there where every time I picked it up I would find this or that requiring a little more TLC. I've put a bunch of extra time into this stage of production simply because once the 5 piece mold is made...it is what it is.
If I started with a questionable master the production bodies would be no better.

So much for the update on the 'Cuda body.

As some of you know TDR from time to time does a promotion or some sort of giveaway.......there are 2 reasons for this.
In the first place.....we believe that these "perks" show our appreciation for your support and it's a bit of advertising for TDR.
Secondly we honestly feel that giving back to the modeling community whenever possible is just the right thing to do.

All that being said, allow me to toss this on the table for discussion.
TDR doesn't have a resident staff of big biz vendors at our beckoning call...like you sometimes we need to go outside the group to keep up with production and keep our pricing affordable to the hobbyists.

Rather than go to the high priced guys and pass the costs on to you, I had a thought.
I'm sure some of you MCM members do some hobby resin casting, etc.

Understand this, TDR does not accept "seconds".
Items produced for TDR would be at wholesale prices and only available through TDR.
In other words...if you want to pursue doing contract work for TDR occasionally, have the ability & are reliable, drop me or Rick a private E... we'll see where it goes.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 11 May 2010 - 06:14 AM.

#42 arick

arick

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Gonder

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

In addition to what Don said above, TDR is also looking to expand our Rapid Prototyping production. With that in mind, if any of you are associated with an RP printing service and would like to bid on some interesting work, or if you know of a reliable RP printing service, please send me the info at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

#43 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,462 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

Sounds like the TDR train is rolling along nicely and picking up steam... :rolleyes:

#44 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

This is TOTALLY impressive. The steering wheel looks like it could be converted to a Rim Blow with minimal work.

I'm in awe....

Bob

#45 Steve

Steve

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Warden

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

It's great to see the progress on this project. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm thinking I might go for the '70, like you said, not much difference other than the grille and tail lights. I'll probably go pro touring style too, but a mild custom stock would be cool too. :lol:
-Steve

#46 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

It's great to see the progress on this project. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm thinking I might go for the '70, like you said, not much difference other than the grille and tail lights. I'll probably go pro touring style too, but a mild custom stock would be cool too. :lol:
-Steve

Lots of possibilities Steve, not sure what direction I'll go with mine.....probably early street/drag.

#47 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

OOoooo I want one! :lol:

#48 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Lots of possibilities Steve, not sure what direction I'll go with mine.....probably early street/drag.

That would be my ultimate choice of direction too.....:lol:
Though I could also be easily persuaded to go full Pro Stock....(aka, Sox & Martin :lol: )

Anybody interested in a stash of 1/12 kits....?? :lol: I NEED one of these beasties.....

#49 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Seriously how can I get one of these I been looking for something to make my first bigboy project. Romell :rolleyes:

#50 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

Romell, be warned, 1/8th scale is very addictive. :rolleyes:

I'm finally done fussing with the master for the body and starting on the mold, unlike resin casting the mold will be laid up by hand in fiberglass. It will be a 5 piece bolt together affair to ease removal of the body from the mold.

The body has lots of compound curves and undercut areas.....rather than fudge or alter these areas with a "close enough" approach, I'm putting extra time into the multi piece mold. By the way,I got your email and will drop you a line later today.

The first run of bodies will go to the original investors, at that point I'll cast some for the members of the forum before they go in the catalog or on ebay........in other words, you forum guys will get a "go to the head of the line" pass. I'll talk with the guys at TDR and see if we can come up with a "special" price for members only.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 01 July 2010 - 02:14 AM.

#51 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

Romell, be warned, 1/8th scale is very addictive. ;)

I'm finally done fussing with the master for the body and starting on the mold, unlike resin casting the mold will be laid up by hand in fiberglass. It will be a 5 piece bolt together affair to ease removal of the body from the mold.

The body has lots of compound curves and undercut areas.....rather than fudge or alter these areas with a "close enough" approach, I'm putting extra time into the multi piece mold. By the way,I got your email and will drop you a line later today.

The first run of bodies will go to the original investors, at that point I'll cast some for the members of the forum before they go in the catalog or on ebay........in other words, you forum guys will get a "go to the head of the line" pass. I'll talk with the guys at TDR and see if we can come up with a "special" price for members only.

Great I'll be saving my pennies untill its ready! :blink:

#52 Steve

Steve

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Warden

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

Romell, be warned, 1/8th scale is very addictive. :huh:

Sounds like fun. I always enjoy the mold building process. It's kind of like scratch building a model, well I guess it's exactly like scratch building a model when you're working in fiberglass. It will be fun to work on the fiberglass body. I've never tried that before, but it doesn't sound too different from regular resin, just without all the inherent problems resin has. Plus it will keep the finished project from being a 100lb lead weight! Even though I've got miles of "to-do" list stuff ahead of this, I'm sure I will find a way to bump it to the front of the line when it comes. :lol:
-Steve

#53 arick

arick

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Gonder

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

After working on several MF glass bodies, I'm hooked on glass over resin. Its stronger, dosen't warp and there are no thickness issues. A word of caution though, use good eye protection, gloves and a respirator when working with glass.

#54 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

Steve....when the mold is complete I'll post a few pics of it just for giggles, you're right, the mold is a project in it's own right.

#55 MADD FABRICATOR

MADD FABRICATOR

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Zimmerman

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

Steve....when the mold is complete I'll post a few pics of it just for giggles, you're right, the mold is a project in it's own right.

Grandpa, glad to see you're about to start slinging some 'glass. Please keep us informed as to the mold making progress. And yes Rick, glass is the only way to go when doing a body of any size. I just finished experimenting with using a two part epoxy process to make a body of my dry lakes/ Bonneville style belly tanker in 1/8th scale. The body before doing the final trimming came out at just under 7 ounces. That same body cast in resin would have weighed just about a full pound, plus the cast resin tends to be very brittle, and going thinner on the cast resin would have created even more stress problems. So, be it polyester resin or two part epoxy resin with some 'glass cloth is by far the best method.
Looking forward to seeing the Cuda in 'glass.
CHEERZZZZZ !!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

#56 insaneMB

insaneMB

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:mike schaffner

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Romell, be warned, 1/8th scale is very addictive. :lol:

I'm curious what the cost might be???

#57 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,462 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

This is going to be so cool... B)

#58 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

This is going to be so cool... :)

Yeah Harry, the cool factor is there for sure........not quite a "Super Bird" but hey....there's always tomorrow, right?

Mike...I can't put a price on the Cuda just yet, if I were to figure in out of pocket cost for our hands on time at prevailing rates, factor in materials etc......you guessed it...way too expensive for most of us hobby budget guys.

That's not the case...TDR figures in material costs, any outside labor and a small mark-up to put back into new product development & advertising. We are not in biz to get rich quick.....we are modelers just like you.

The price will be as low as possible and not based solely on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ profit.
I know it sounds a bit sappy but we are here for you modelers and the promotion large scale in general.

I'll post an "estimated" cost as the dust settles. What we are looking at is offering the body only at "X" dollars and a couple of bundled starter kits including the glass body, engine, trans, etc. These bundled kits will more than likely be "multi-media" kits...glass body, resin parts, RP parts and perhaps even some metal parts...we'll see.

#59 Blake Rogers

Blake Rogers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Full Name:bubba

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

i would love one!!! put me down for one!!!

#60 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Lots of cool work HERE>