#61 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Electric motor? Wow, that sounds cool. Too bad I already glued the fuselage together. I may have to build two entries.

I'll go for a gear-up photo, but I'm thinking of a banking turn where gear will not be visible. (So I won't have to make the covers fit :D )

#62 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Pager motors are one of the best options for creating a spinning prop. on a plane kit. They are single speed but are usually the perfect size to conceal in the fuselage.

#63 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hey Wayne, long time dude! :rolleyes:

Actually I have torn down quite a few disc drives and tape players so I have a good collection of motors of all sizes. The plan is to get the motor wired in place in center line of the fuselage with two fine wires appearing from somewhere that I can clip a variable power source to. That way I can work out the speed of the prop with the camara speed and come up with a good compromise regarding the spinning prop. I am afraid that todays digital cameras are way to quick a shutter speed so may have to fudge it in photoshop but I am getting way ahead of myself. Got to get the model and build it first! :rolleyes:

#64 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Gibbons

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Ok, sorry to get a little off topic here, but it does relate to the project. I had stated here earlier that I have a Monogram Corsair that could apply. The one I have that I thought I'd sacrifice was the SSP version that came out around '99-2000. I got it mail order, only to find that one of the upper inner wing sections was a short shot. This version was molded in navy blue. Does anyone have that version that would be willing to trade or sell?

The method to my madness is that I wanted to build that for my brother. More years ago than I care to remember, I built that kit after saving my allowance, as I was into the "working parts" Monogram WW2 aircraft at the time. I finished it on a Friday night at the kitchen table, bought it up to my bedroom, where it had one good night unmolested. The following morning, I was looking at it, playing with the working landing gear, folding wings, etc., and left it on my bed. A few minutes later, my brother accidentally sat on it (I can still hear the crunch and snapping sound of breaking plastic to this day!) and pretty much wiped out all the working features. Needless to say, he got a good pounding from me, and after nearly 40 years, I still regret it! The reason I want the blue molded version, is that I want to build it for him as closely as I originally did it, which included not painting the colored plastic. Fortunately, my modeling skills have improved enough to make it look decent that way. (Maybe a coat of Future after decaling, etc.)

I eventually repaired it enough as a gear up model, glued the outer wings back on, and motorized it. The Visible V8 model I had built worked for a while, and even though I had lubricated the bearings with vegetable oil as the instructions told, the crankshaft eventually snapped, and I took the electric motor and adapted it to the Corsair. A cob job, but I guess I was ahead of my time!

I bought another release of the Corsair a couple of years ago, but it's now molded in gray. Not a big problem, as it can be painted, but I would like to do a "nostalgia" style build for my brother. If anyone can help, PM me. If I can get a blue one, the newer gray one gets the project go-ahead.

Edited by Jim Gibbons, 05 July 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#65 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

More work on smoothing out the P-51. Cockpit opening faired over. All the bumps and holes on the wing have been filled. For the gun ports I used stretch sprue. For shell ejection ports and bomb rack it was Evergreen styrene. Wing tips have been clipped, and yes, one got clipped a little bit too much so it got a thicker "end cap" of Evergreen. The grey stuff is Mr. Surfacer brushed on.

I'll be making a small teardrop canopy + fairing like in Luke 57's post with the natural metal P-51.

Posted Image

#66 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Looking good Lee!

Here are some neat graphics of real planes.
Posted Image
:rolleyes:

#67 droogie

droogie

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Here is another option for a spinning prop:

http://www.propblur.com/

#68 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

Posted Image

#69 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

That Do-335 idea is going to happen. I know because I gave the guy a kit of it. It's getting a new, more aerodynamic nose and he'll be using my machine tools to make a new spinner. He's also moving the exhaust stacks up to represent a pair of Griffon engines. (the original DB engines are inverted V-12s)

I can't wait to see what he comes up with for a paint job.

Grrroovy, baby!

Posted Image

#70 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

I finally won my kit. Took a few days waiting for it to close, not to mention the number of poor souls who kept bidding the darned thing up! :)
But, it is now, finally on the way to the bunker where I shall ditch the decals and weapons - slap it together and shoot a bit of color. :D
Updates to follow soon.

#71 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Cool, Jairus. Any ideas on what you'll do for paint? What about modifications to the airframe?

#72 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

A little bit more work:

Vertical stabilizer enlarged.

Began work on streamlined canopy/fairing. I laid down some Bare Metal Foil, (BMF is like a release agent. It will allow me to pop off the whole assembly) then glued a "footprint" made of .010" styrene over that. The grey part at the front of it is part of a drop tank from Airfix's 1/48 Seafire 46/47 kit. The white stuff is Milliput epoxy putty. When it hardens, I'll pop the whole thing off and sand it smooth, then vacuum-form a canopy & fairing over it.

Posted Image

Edited by LDO, 07 July 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#73 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Very cool so far Lee!

I got started on my P-39...what a nice little kit! Lots of mods coming, getting the fuselage halves ready to join by building the cockpit & installing...it's supposed to go in almost last, but I want this thing smooooth & slippery! So in it goes now, then on with the mods!

Posted Image

Just to get an idea of what she looks like in stock form...won't be this way for long!

Posted Image

#74 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Very cool so far Lee!

I got started on my P-39...what a nice little kit! Lots of mods coming, getting the fuselage halves ready to join by building the cockpit & installing...it's supposed to go in almost last, but I want this thing smooooth & slippery! So in it goes now, then on with the mods!

Yeah, building these things with the intent of polishing the paint does require some planning ahead. The P-51 gets the exhaust stacks glued on before the fuselage halves get glued together. If I do that, polishing around the exhaust would be tough at best. What I did was cut the nose open. That way I can use tweezers to install the exhausts through the nose. The hole will then be covered by the prop spinner.

I'm glad to see someone else getting started on this build. I was beginning to think Jairus and I would be the only ones building a race plane. Others have expressed interest here and in the Chat room, but have not started building. Any ideas on what you'll do for paint?

#75 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Jeff, better cut off that gun! :lol:
No unfair advantages regarding removal of the competition!

My kit is on it's way. Should be cutting plastic by Saturday morning, pictures to follow.
Lee, you asked me what modifications I will be doing and what colors... I don't know for certain. The FW 190 canopy is already cut down a bunch so all I might do is bring up the surrounding sheet metal to close off the view a bit and make it look more "racy".
Been thinking about your idea of a bigger spinner so will have a go at vac-forming a new one.

Other than that... probably remove and smooth like you and Jeff and then lay out some paint similar to what I have seen running at the Reno air races but.... BETTER, with more fades! :)
Something like this one but different...
Posted Image

Edited by Jairus, 08 July 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#76 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Jeff, better cut off that gun! :)

Aw, but that takes the fun out of it!! What's the fun of a warbird if you can't shoot something!

I'm just kidding, of course, and on the serious side, this is looking interesting. I have about four other Community Builds going on right now, but I think I just might see what I have on the shelves. I'm not much of an aircraft modeler, but the major modifications I have going on with the others, this just might be a nice break.

#77 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

I'm definately in on this as well. I am currently trying to weed through the best options that I have onhand to use. Most of my WWII kits are radial and wouldn't be the best choice for an air racer. I'm trying to figure out the best inline kit that I have.

#78 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, building these things with the intent of polishing the paint does require some planning ahead. The P-51 gets the exhaust stacks glued on before the fuselage halves get glued together. If I do that, polishing around the exhaust would be tough at best. What I did was cut the nose open. That way I can use tweezers to install the exhausts through the nose. The hole will then be covered by the prop spinner.

I'm glad to see someone else getting started on this build. I was beginning to think Jairus and I would be the only ones building a race plane. Others have expressed interest here and in the Chat room, but have not started building. Any ideas on what you'll do for paint?

Yes, pre-planning is a big one on something like this...I once did an F1 car that required the same...cockpit in before smoothing seams! Not sure yet on paint, maybe polished aluminum, or a bright eye-catching color.

Jeff, better cut off that gun! B)

No guns? What fun is that? ;)

Hey all, I can sign off the airworthiness on these when finished, I'm an A&P mechanic! ;)

#79 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

I've got two lined up for this. First is a 1/72 scale Spitfire. It's a rather crude resin kit from overseas that I could never forsee doing anything with until this idea. The second, although not the best choice for an air racer, is a Revell 1/48 scale P47D Thunderbolt. I have some really cool graphics planned for both. I will have pics. of the Spitfire sometime on Sunday.

#80 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

I'm glad to see someone else getting started on this build. I was beginning to think Jairus and I would be the only ones building a race plane. Others have expressed interest here and in the Chat room, but have not started building.

If I didn't have such a full plate right now, I'd be all over this! Beautiful work so far, guys, keep it up!