what type of airbrush do you use?

• You cannot reply to this topic
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Airbrush. single or dual action? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

what is your favorite all around modeling airbrush of choice. Singe action, dual, other?

1. Single action. (18 votes [30.51%])

Percentage of vote: 30.51%

2. Voted Dual action. (38 votes [64.41%])

Percentage of vote: 64.41%

3. I only use spraycans. (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Brett ,

As to the allen wrench , that's why Paache puts that little allen wrench shaped space in the box.... So you can always put it back where you found it ! :blink:

In relating to a choice of airbrush , to each their own ! My eye is always set towards the novice builder / painter that is just coming into or back to the hobby . Too often , the experienced modeler forgets the trials and tribulations that we all went through years ago .

I want them to dodge those pitfalls by not wasting their time and money , making the mistakes that we all did ! More often than not , they are on a limited budget and can't afford to screw up 6 or 7 paint jobs trying to get the hang of things .

This is the reason I always suggest the H series as a starting point for the beginners . An H series is reasonably priced , parts are readily available , it can take a beating , maintenence is a breeze ,the kit contains everything you need to start out with , and it lays down one heck of a paint job ! For the novice , it is a dream come true !

As for painting the Chapel . who says we all can't ? Believing is 3/4s of the battle . Having good equipment , a sound prep system , a systematic paint method , and a clean paint environment , completes the other 1/4 !

David ,

Yes , I could do the same with the Badger 150 in a very short time too ! All I'm asking .... Do you remember what it was like the first few times ? :D Ya gotta admit , cleaning a single action is alot less complicated when it is compared to the dual ! Besides , the KISS principle fits my personality perfectly !

As for Atlanta , no can do ! We were going to attend the show but I changed jobs back in March , losing 6 weeks vacation , and 15 years seniority. Our show travel/ vending these days have been severely curtailed for the time being .

Come on up to North Carolina in August for the Karolina Modelers NNL . That's about as far south as we are going to get this year ! Hope to meet up with you at one of the shows some day !

#62 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Too often , the experienced modeler forgets the trials and tribulations that we all went through years ago .

David ,

Yes , I could do the same with the Badger 150 in a very short time too ! All I'm asking .... Do you remember what it was like the first few times ? :lol: Ya gotta admit , cleaning a single action is alot less complicated when it is compared to the dual ! Besides , the KISS principle fits my personality perfectly !

You are right Donn. Thanks for keeping be grounded and for keeping me humble. I do remember the first time I used an airbrush.....I was petrified. And it was not until years later that I got comfortable with the single. When I finally stepped out to try the "double" world, I could feel a little of the fear coming back.

We do seem to forget some of the hurdles we cross when we are well past them.
Thanks!!

And sorry to hear about your loss of seniority and vacation. I hope to see you at a show, but I don't think I can make the August one in NC.
I'm too many days on the road with the job now, and when I get home, I like home!!!

David

#63 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

David ,

Not a problem ! Murphy's Law keeps us all in that state of humbleness ! :) Like I said , I'm always looking out for the new guys , I want them to stay with us in the hobby ! We have alot of people coming back into the hobby that got out in the ' 60's and ' 70 's and they're are going to need help. You have to admit , it's a whole diffrent ballgame now ! Cultural shock would be an understatement.

If I, and everyone else here give advice ,while keeping in mind what we went through starting out , I believe we can help the new guys tremendously ! Keeping their frustration level down and helping them to avoid making expensive mistakes only helps the hobby itself thrive !We have to remember to teach , " Walk before you run " . and that patience is the key !

Have you ever seen a tool as small as an airbrush frighten grown men like it does ? :) Hey ! , Guess what ? I was one of them ! Looking back on it now , I find it hilarious . Not so funny back then ! This was the main reason we did the dvds , to help other modelers avoid that ! We certainly are'nt getting rich off them , not by a long shot . The payoff is the emails we get on the subject and seeing guys post their work up on the forums . They're proud of themselves and rightfully so !

As for the job , it was a win / win situation except for the loss of the vacation time . We are more restricted as to what shows we can attend . It's taken a bit of getting used to as compared to just packing up and taking off when ever we wanted to . I simply tell myself , " 8 more years , and you can go whenever you feel like it " Be patient, Ya big dummy "

You and I will hook up one of these days ! I'm excited about the Karolina show , I get to meet Gary Thompson and see his work first hand and meet a bunch of the other guys from down that way. The only downer is Kenny from Bandit Resin and Terry from M.A.S. will probably be going home with all of my money ! ;) Right ! , Like going home with a bunch of new toys is really going to break my heart !

Try to get to the NNL East in April , I know that there is no place like home , but Good Lord , what a show and fun time that is !

The Old Man

#64 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

For general spraying as well as detail work, you can't go wrong with the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Here's mine in the middle of a project.

If you need more control you can go really fine-line and closer in with the Iwata Micron C-Plus.

Posted Image

#65 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

Here's Il Cappo de tutti Cappi of Airbrushes:

Posted Image

#66 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Badger 350-SA
Badger Renegade Velocity-DA with adjustable trigger stop.
Badger 155 Anthem-DA

The 350 for most single color bodies, large areas, base coating/primer.

The Velocity for ultra tight detail work, Camo, shading on figures, etc.

The 155 For everything else.

G

#67 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,220 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

I ordered a Paasche H-Set from Chicago Airbrush. Should arrive this week.

#68 Steve Keck

Steve Keck

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Full Name:A heavily Weathered Gentleman

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

OK, my turn to contribute. Unless I missed it in all the replies my setup is unique. And, I DIDN'T SAY BETTER! LOL!

My first was a Paasche VL. I still use it when I don't want to risk my others.
A real good friend gave my a Tamiya HG Superfine and a Tamiya HG pistol grip trigger-type.
The pistol grip is reserved for clears. I couldn't be happier with the Tamiya airbrushes.

Instead of a compressor I power my airbrushes with compressed air. It's totally quite and clean. When my Badger compressor started to go bad I decided to switch to a quieter setup. Air fills cost $5 and last for about three models - primer, color coats and clear as well as all interior and detail work. The air is totally dry and filtered for human consumption. I already owned the SCUBA first stage and low pressure hose with a quick connect fitting. The cost of a SCUBA tank was comparable to a new Badger compressor.
I connect the SCUBA low pressure hose via a quick connect to a pressure regulator and second filter (because they came as a unit). Next in line after the regulator/filter is a quick connect fixture for the airbrush hose. For convenience all three airbrushes have a smaller version of the quick connectors.