#1 DrewCfromSC

DrewCfromSC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Full Name:Drew Christiansen

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Just starting to begin my try at rusty or weathered model. Have not bought a thing.....................yet. Is their a basic kit avalible to buy to try out. Thanks in advance for your advise! Drew from S.C.

#2 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

For actual 'rotting' metal in scale, a ball-shaped milling bit in my Dremel is the real workhorse; I thin the body from the inside until it almost bubbles through (just like real NY rust :D ). I use a small dental-style pick for opening small pinholes up once the material is thin enough.
Posted Image

For paint and surface weathering, I do it 'on the cheap.' My set of chalk pastels was $7 with a 50% off coupon from Michaels, and the makeup brush set came from a local dollar store. My 'Joe Dirt' Charger was done using just Testors DullCote and pastels, no rotting out was in order:
Posted Image

For rust, I always say nothing looks more like rust than the real thing. Sophisticated Finishes' two-part system works very well for me:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Tradeshowjoe

Tradeshowjoe

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Erickson

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

check out this thread:
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=32489
don't buy a thing (Uunless you need rust color paint and hairspray). And I agree the "Sophisticated Finish" is a great product as well.

#4 DrewCfromSC

DrewCfromSC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

]

For rust, I always say nothing looks more like rust than the real thing. Sophisticated Finishes' two-part system works very well for me:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Very cool VW. Now thats what im going to try for. Is that ametal or diecast to begin with or plastic? I have a few diecast that im going to expirement with soon as it cools off a bit here. Thanks for sharing this! Drew

don't buy a thing (Uunless you need rust color paint and hairspray). And I agree the "Sophisticated Finish" is a great product as well.

Thanks for the reply! I will check it out. Drew

#5 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Very cool VW. Now thats what im going to try for. Is that ametal or diecast to begin with or plastic?

Drew - Thanks for the kind words. The Beetle is indeed plastic, which some folks have had a hard time believing until I hand them the model; it started out as a Gunze-Sangyo kit:
Posted Image

#6 DrewCfromSC

DrewCfromSC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:57 AM

Drew - Thanks for the kind words. The Beetle is indeed plastic, which some folks have had a hard time believing until I hand them the model; it started out as a Gunze-Sangyo kit:
Posted Image

Very cool 1 I have sent you a pm. Thanks for sharing this tip!

#7 John E. Bowers Jr.

John E. Bowers Jr.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:30 AM

I must be doing something wrong while using the Sophisticated Finishes. can't get the heavily rusted effect.

#8 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

I must be doing something wrong while using the Sophisticated Finishes. can't get the heavily rusted effect.

Me either!

G

#9 Guest_JamesDE_*

Guest_JamesDE_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

I use acrylic paints and a cosmetic sponge for most of mine, but the Chevelle Wagon was done using enamel paints... Flat Red, Yellow, and Rust, and a little flat black...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 DrewCfromSC

DrewCfromSC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Looks very realsitic!
Drew

#11 brett

brett

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • Full Name:Brett

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

Wow James they look great especially the bumpers, something thats very hard to get right. Heres a couple of my attempts, the 53 and 55 tow truck using railroading chalks and the 64 pickup using some of the wifes eyeshadow makeup.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Smart-Resins

Smart-Resins

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Full Name:Jody

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

I use Doctor Ben's instant rust and instant age found on Ebay. Very easy to use! I did not know what I was doing, got this stuff used it and I still dont know what I am doing! LOL. But heres how good the stuff works! For the "pits" I Painted on black primer and sprinkled on table salt and let dry. Then I painted on the green and let dry. Then I scraped off the table salt and rusted. I did all of the rusting in maybe a hour mack on the whole model!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Guest_JamesDE_*

Guest_JamesDE_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Brett. Yes, the bumpers are the trickiest to do right. You got some nice rusted rides also...

#14 deathskull59

deathskull59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Full Name:nathan

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

hey thats funny i got that 50 merc also im gunna make mine in to wild custom though i need plastic putty & stuff to repair all of the cracks and broken peaces. :rolleyes:

#15 PeterC(MrMondeo)

PeterC(MrMondeo)

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Cooper

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi i found this stuff , its from a company in the uk , im gonna get some and try it , what you guys think ?

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Tools-$4-Materials/Scenery/Deluxe-Materials-Scenic-Rust.ice

it actualy uses iron filings and an accelerator to make the filings rust , cant get much more realistic rust than that can ya lol

Edited by MrMondeo, 27 August 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#16 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

Wow,some great weathering examples. Thanks for sharing.

#17 Models by Bear

Models by Bear

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Bognar

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

Very nice builds Just wanted to add mine first time I tried weathering Attached File  model cars 002.JPG   149.75KB   48 downloads

#18 DrewCfromSC

DrewCfromSC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:06 AM

Very nice builds Just wanted to add mine first time I tried weathering Attached File  model cars 002.JPG   149.75KB   48 downloads

Very good! What products did you use? Thanks for sharing.
Drew C. from S.C.

#19 Models by Bear

Models by Bear

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Bognar

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:50 AM

Very good! What products did you use? Thanks for sharing.
Drew C. from S.C.

Thank you. I primed the car with Brown primer first. Then I brushed on "Sophisticated Finishes Iron Metalic Surfacer". I allowed that to dry for 24 hours, then I used "Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Solution". I placed it in a ziplock bag and left it for 12 hours while it cured. Then I allowed it to air dry. Then I repeated the rust process in various spots until I acheived the look I wanted.

#20 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

I brushed on "Sophisticated Finishes Iron Metalic Surfacer". I allowed that to dry for 24 hours, then I used "Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Solution".

Those are the 2 parts of the same "Instant Rust" set I mentioned above; I'm guessing you got them separately, which gives you bigger bottles than the set does.

That's impressive for your first attempt at weathering....my first was long ago, and far from that good.

Edited by VW Dave, 06 September 2010 - 04:03 PM.