#21 Jeff Sauber

Jeff Sauber

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Sauber

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought it up.......

:lol: :lol: :P

LOL..Yeppers, I'm finding out that a ball peen hammer works great on fixing multiple imperfections at once!!

A few whacks here and there and things really improve quickly.... :P :P

#22 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Most important? I build as a hobby, for me first. I try to learn something with each build as a personal development exercise for me. I try to do something that will stretch my abilities. Sometimes, it might be something quick and easy to get something finished and on my shelf. I also try not to take myself too seriously, or the hobby. I am also trying not to start more projects before clearing up some of the backlog on the workbench-which I personally find difficult due to the ideas that come into my head, or the inspiration that drives me to start another project.
So, in conclusion, for me, the most important thing is keeping it all about me! :lol:

#23 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

I guess I'm sort of creative, but alot of my finished stuff doesn't look all that great. So what's most important to me, is that I try and continue to get better a little at a time.

At 40 years old, I'm still fairly young, so I hope to still have some time left to try and improve on things.. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You should be a pretty fair model builder say by the time you reach 80 or 85 then J.!Posted Image
One can only imagine what your work will hve accelled to by then! You seem to be your biggest critic and that is a good thing in an artist!Posted Image

#24 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Bradley

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

I agree to much of what you wrote and the spirit it was offered, but if you build something that would not work mechanically in the real world, it could be viewed by some as “wrong” if it is intended as a feasible drivable vehicle. That’s not to say you should not build what you want to.

Build for yourself, absolutely, and if you don't like the look of aluminum parts, you can skip them. But in your opinion you state "Maybe it's a finish thing. A turned part looks like a turned part no matter what size it is."

Much of what I replicate in scale are machined aluminum scaled down versions of machined (often aluminum) real parts. To me they look fine. But not everything is left raw metal either. There are a variety of finishing techniques to take a raw machined piece to a finished replica part. I use everything from abrasives to paints, even acids.
You wouldn't use an unfinished resin or plastic part very often on a model, the same holds true for many turned/machined aluminum parts. An unfinished part will look out of place no matter its composition.
Some in progress shots of an old build made with a lot of aluminum:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry for reposting the pics but it saves you from having to go back a page to see em...
Now THIS is the exception. Most people don't address their aluminum, or any metal, parts in the finish dept and that is what I was getting at. These look realistic and don't have that "out of scale" finish I was referring to. Awesome work and use of finishing methods on ALL of the parts of your build. So, I will correct my statement and say "unfinished" parts don't add to the scale look of a model but make it look sort of toy-ish or out of scale.

No offence intended to all our aftermarket companies turning out (turning, get it) high quality parts. I have a box full myself and try to put approriate finishes on them when I use them. Your pics are definetly an inspiration!

And I do agree about building for yourself. I love to challenge myself at times and at others, get fed up with never finishing anything and go for a simple build.

#25 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

I think Dennis Doty had it completely right when he wrote this in MCJ decades ago:

[...] recognizes that building and collecting model cars is motivated by the same appreciation of form and function as collecting art or artifacts.

#26 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

The nice thing about modelling is that you can do whatever you please. In real life ™ much of the stuff might be too expensive, too impractical, or downright illegal.

Or just plain won't work. A local judging around here was adamant about lower radiator hoses awhile back.

#27 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

I think everyone pretty much has it right so far. I recently followed a discussion about contest judging on another forum, one whose members primarily pride craft, detail and authenticity above all else, often much to their frustration when seeing the. shall we say, "less disciplined" manifestations of the automotive modeler's art.Posted Image One of the participants contrasted judging automotive models to judging armored vehicles and military aircraft. There is certainly a broader tradition of "imaginative" building in the automobile sector than in these other areas where he pointed out that there is a strong tradition of replica building. For this person it was sometimes frustrating to them to have to acknowledge brilliant model building that was far from technically or historically correct. But this broad range from replica to fantasy that is such an important aspect of the automobile modeling world is why I build cars as opposed to other things.

For myself I enjoy textures and finishes that scale correctly (like the discussion above about turned aluminum parts - wonderful "eye candy" pics BTW), get massive enjoyment out of a truly great factory stock build, and love all the incredible super detailed NASCAR and drag car builds featured in the magazines and shown here. But at the same time I'm a huge fan of imagination-based builds like those we have seen from CB, Chopper, Geezerman, Treehugger, Cranky and Peter Lombardo, among others.

For me it's a matter of how successfully the idea in the builder's head has translated to the model. I have my personal preferences but when a model is truly "hooked up", you've got me. From what's been written so far I think it's obvious that's what most builders strive for. The frustration, personal or otherwise, comes when, out of inability, fatigue, or laziness, we fail to achieve that successful translation from idea to finished build. That isn't "fun"...

Bottom line, if the idea requires technical authenticity and correctness to translate successfully then these elements must be striven for, but when they become an end in themselves the build is in danger of becoming sterile, formal and bland. On the other extreme, an automobile that has "radical" visual elements and building techniques which have been adopted merely to shock and amaze is in danger of becoming a confused heap of disparate "things" which fail to communicate any sort of vision the builder may have had.

Edited by gbk1, 29 July 2010 - 10:12 AM.