4 replies to this topic

#1 RowdyYates

RowdyYates

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:05 AM

I have a brand new can of Plastikote white primer.I have had it for quite some time.I went to take off the cap and somehow I hit the nozzle and sheared it off. :x
I did try to dig out the broken tube part from the top of the can but only made matters worse.Now I can't even put a spare nozzle into it to use.
What do I do?Could an auto paint store empty the can into a new one or should I sent it back to Plastikote?Unfortunately I can't find the receipt.

Yates

#2 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

It's only a can of paint :D ; and it's only a minor setback.

If it were a new can of paint (as in recently purchased) w/a receipt I most certainly would take it back for exchange. However I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for my mistake on an older product that I damaged and had no receipt for, especially on something as inexpensive as a can of paint.

The remedy is simple. I would take the damaged can of paint with me to the store with the intention of buying a new can of paint. I would show them the old can, tell them what happened, tell them I don't have a receipt, tell them I was willing to buy another one, and that I would like them to safely dispose of the damaged can. At best they may take pity on my situation and let me exchange it for a new can w/o the receipt. At worst they throw the can away and I am only out the cost of a new can of paint, and would be back in business w/a minimum of cost/time/hassle.

#3 RowdyYates

RowdyYates

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Yes I broke it and have no intensions of trying to get the store to pay for my goof.I would be happy if there was a safe way to drain the paint into a jar even though the can is still under pressure?That way I could use it for my airbrush?..

Yates

#4 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

You could try an A/C freon can tap, the type that clamps around the can and pierces it in the side. Just make sure the hose is secured to a container big enough to hold all the paint. Other than that, I don't see a safe way of draining that can.

#5 RowdyYates

RowdyYates

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Well I took the full can back to Wal-Mart and they exchanged it without question..

Yates