Model Cars Magazine Forum

This thread is to hopefully continue and amplify the small dialog started in the "1/12 Trumpeter GT40" thread started by Syd, LR 3. Although there have been many views, there have only been 3 or 4 participants and the OP and myself are the only two to construct the model. Hopefully many more will dust off that stashed kit or show your wip's in this thread.

I hope to show my progress, although infrequent, and hopefully get advice from you all on ways to improve and proceed. I will show as best I can some pitfalls I got into and my ways around them. I chose not to build an exact replica of GT40 MKII chassis #1046 which is black and won LeMans in '66-the car Trumpeter used for measure and kit engineering. Instead I wanted 'my' GT as I would race it today in vintage events but using virtually all the original car's bits, look and design. Mine is a 'track rat' the kind I would use frequently at track days then tear down at the end of each season and renew parts and fluids. It will have track dirt, rubber dust and a generally 'well-raced' look but not a jalopy. Please join in and criticize or give advice as desired. I'm just really trying to get serious builders to show me better ways.

Many of you have seen my car in the other thread so here is some very recent completed work. Still have a long way to go. If few members participate in this thread, I will not go into boring details if there's little interest. Pardon the generally poor snaps as I didn't play with white balance and the colors are somewhat 'whited-out'.

The latest work is the completion of the rear clip and these first two show the general look of the car. Paint is TS-58 and TS-7 stripes, all airbrushed and stripes sanded flat with sanding cloth kit. No clear over will be used and no decals or numbers:

A.jpg

B-1.jpg

D-1.jpg

The rear clip as well as most of the nose and lower surfaces, will be 'weathered' with road and rubber dust and some rain streaking. It's all new and shiney now as it comes together:

E-1.jpg

Here's a problem I got myself into and out of: the oval hole in the deck is just supposed to fit around the carb pan. When I mocked the clip onto the engine/chassis assembly, a certain header pipe (seen lower down) stood too tall and prevented the clip from closing flat. I decided to oblong the hole in the deck to clear it because the pipes were firmly glued when the motor went into the chassis. I guess I should have looked much further ahead in the assembly sequence but Trump got me with this one. Also the pipes fit together perfectly just this way so it wasn't careless assembly. So big heads up to you guys that do this kit. BTW, that's BMF on both sides, fogged with gray primer and a splash of Dullcote:

F-1.jpg

The glass all fit perfectly and a dip in Future made it perfect. I used a clothes pin just on a corner to hold it, and Sharpie for gasket and rivets:

G-1.jpg

A tough area to get right is the side scoops for carb and oil coolers. You barely get body color paint into them when spraying. I used some Tamiya German Gray acrylic applied with an eyedropper. Of course it gets on the edges too so when dry, I came back with 90% alcohol on cotton tips and a very fine brush to blend into darkness. It's always a dusty area on GT's and you don't want a sharp black/body color edge:

H-1.jpg

A big deal for me was adding the rocker stripes which are a MKII signature. The kit decals are silver and the 'Ford' letters have silver centers and are too small to cut individually (for me at least). Some of you know how to make your own decals but I'm not up to the 19th much less 21st century yet. So I measured the decal stripe width (9mm) and made mine 10, using 1/32 Chart tape for the dividers. A big disappointment when I unmasked was that the leading and trailing edges of the upper stripe bend upward due to the curve of the rocker. Maybe I'll remask (PIA) and just shoot the silver-blue top edge. Then wet sand with the cloths to take the edges off:

I-2.jpg

Finally, here's that bad-boy header pipe, standing tall but fitting perfectly with the nest of other pipes. Too bad mine hit the deck. At least now my deck closes flat and mates perfectly with the cockpit:

J-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and please jump in. :)

Edited by Cato

Looking really good...now if only someone would do a 1/12 plastic model of a D-Type Jag! I'll be following this build, too. Syd's thread had such great research material. Hopefully I will be able to get this GT-40 kit in the relatively near future. Both of your builds are great tutorials/ kit pratfall lessons.

That is one beautiful paint job Cato. I am glad you didn't post before me, I would not be able to follow this build. You really have this car researched to perfection.

Syd! Where did you go-vacation? Your words are kind but that's complete c&%*! Your work is first class. We went two different directions building the same kit and there's no right/wrong, better/worse comparisons. I think it's great the cars are different and other prospective builders can formulate their own ideas as to how they want to go with it. I know my version is not everybody's cup of tea but that's the beauty of these things.

Please post either here or in your thread the work so far or the complete job.

I really want to see what's ahead for me as you are way past where I am. It's nice to have you back, now jump in and tell me how you handled the things above that I screwed up! :D

Jim,

Yes D-Types are a fave of mine too. When you get the GT, just ask away, the reference stuff is from Pete and myself and there's no problem sharing. That's what I am hoping for with this thread-more guys building this kit. I've loved this car for four decades. :blink:

I will never, ever build this kit. However, I love to see the work you adventurous modelers are doing. I also thought we'd see more of these in WIPs here and elsewhere. I love the cars and am always happy to visit and watch while one gets built.

The color you've chosen is gorgeous on that body. And the BMF/gray primer/dullcote is a neat trick I'll have to try out someday.

One nit to pick: is that a scratch or something on the right side bottom of the rear grille?

Len,

Please throw all the other projects in the trash and start this one. :) I passed-up the KA kit but would love to see a quality build using those parts. Also shoot some ideas/crits my way-I can always learn...

Harry,

Thanks for the boost and your interest. They sell this kit to Moderators too you know... :)

Chilly,

Nit picking is welcome. That's some careless rash I caused by the endless dry fitting I did to get the deck to sit flat. The good news is the car's lower sections will have some stone chip, scuff and weather damage as well as road dust/exhaust/tire dirt so that will go away easily. Serious race cars are pretty scruffy things-the key for me is to be subtle and not over-do the effects. In fact a mist of Dullcoat in certain areas can make a showroom finish seem dusty. I plan that too but will go easy. Here's the Andretti/Bianchi car at '66 LeMans early in the race.

Notice that the upper deck is shiney but the spoiler and aluminum frame and mesh is already dull, exhaust and dust-covered. The whole rear face looks like flat paint. And there's always tire kick-up, front and rear. This is what I'm after:

66lm06yBianchi-AndrettiFordMkIILarge.jpg

Sorry you won't build the car but very happy to have your input-just don't wear your glasses and look at my work so close... ;)

Being a 'lowness' freak, I've decided the front ride height is too high as the kit comes. So I took it apart and am modifying it to get close to how the cars actually sat. They did not want lift at 210 MPH. Will post when I do. Also have to change the bogus fuel pump mount Trump gives you. I've got a lot to do to get what I want but I'm not a machinist or fabricator as many of you pros are... :)

Chilly,

Nit picking is welcome. That's some careless rash I caused by the endless dry fitting I did to get the deck to sit flat. The good news is the car's lower sections will have some stone chip, scuff and weather damage as well as road dust/exhaust/tire dirt so that will go away easily.

Good to hear it. That's exactly what I was thinking you could do. I like to try my hand at weathering and I make clumsy mistakes with sharp modeler's tools; so, to try to hide damage I usually plan my weathering around it.

Can't wait to see more.

A little more progress.

I spent this afternoon lowering the front suspension as I mentioned earlier. I can see I'm getting close and it's fun to be working on this again. The principle is to raise the axle stub relative to the chassis pan, tucking the wheel higher in the fenders. Pardon the junk snaps as I did not take time to set up the tripod or play with light settings. I think you'll get the idea and when it's all done we can look at pretty pictures. :blink:

Here's the area of work-the front of the chassis pan. In the early assembly stages I tacked everything together with white glue so it was easy to disassemble for this work. (Did most of the car like that). Trump has you screw this crossmember to the pan which is good in this case. You don't see any when the car's together:

PAN.jpg

The first mod I made was to the coilovers. I decided I wanted to take 2mm out of the shock's assembled height so I sanded their inner shock bodies by that amount, then glued together for strength. The modded one is 6mm long, the stock piece is 8. The total shock length from their pivot points is 20mm. Be sure to get the upper and lower attachments positioned 180 deg apart:

SHKS.jpg

Next to fix is the upper control arms. I simply made an oblong slot in the upright attachments (ball joints on the real car). This will allow the upright to move upward and a hair inboard:

ARMS.jpg

I made a shim out of a #6 washer to glue to the lower arms to further raise the axles. I just used the 'looks-right' (to me) method to arrive at these dimensions:

SHIM.jpg

Looking from the nose back you can see the angle of the driver's side arm angles upward compared to the still-stock pass. side. This raises the axle on that side;

VIEW.jpg

Now some final comparisons. First the stock pass. side then the modded driver side, and a rough idea of the front tire attitude. The total drop is 3/32" without weight. Race cars use a lot of neg. camber and when the model's full weight is on it they will tilt in slightly at the top and look real. They're very 'vertical' now:

LT.jpg

RT.jpg

TIRES.jpg

If you're up for these kinds of mods for your kit, just remember to start EARLY in the build process, (not like me :blink: )mock everything up many times and don't rush.

Thanks for looking and any and all suggestions appreciated.

Fuel pump change:

From a lot of reading and research I found out Trump got most of the fuel pump mounting wrong. First, I found no reference of pumps on the driver's side. So I decided to omit the second set they give you.

Several snaps of then and now views of the cars show that the pass. side pumps were mounted on a plate bolted to the firewall-not buried on the inside bulkhead under the firewall, which makes it very difficult to mount the pumps in there then plumb the fuel lines. I think Syd had problems with his build doing that.

So I found a good view of 1046 as restored now with a plate attachment. I then made a similar looking plate out of tin sheet and detailed the pumps with color, paint straps and wire retaining clips.

Here are the same SW pumps, mounted in a competition Cobra:

CSX3034-4Large.jpg

Here is my crude attempt to replicate:

PUMPPLATE.jpg

Here is where it will mount on the firewall:

PUMPCHASSIS.jpg

And finally, here is the example of 1046 as restored today:

1046cCustom-1.jpg

All the original GT's had varied ways to mount these depending on the team or particular race being run-makes it really hard to say that they were always EXACTLY one way. But it also allows us modelers some artistic license.

Many talented guys on here could fabricate exact metal straps, rubber dampers and turned aluminum pumps with wire clasps. With my meager skill I tried to simulate the real thing and hopefully not 'cheese-up' the overall appearance.

My car will mostly be displayed closed as my passion is the overall form and business-like race appearance. I will occasionally display with the front and rear clips up and want just enough detail to add visual interest without making swiss timepiece detail. If the kit came with COMPLETE detail, like every tube, fitting, heim joint, hose and individual panel-I would love that.

For that I chose a 1:1 Cobra replica instead of the GT, but that's all I could afford at that time. B)

HOLD EVERYTHING!

Do not begin the above fuel pump procedure. Just as I was about to mount the plate and pumps as above I decided to mock-up the rear clip. Guess what? The thick inner shell that Trump supplies to stiffen the skin interferes if you mount the pumps there. On the original, the skin has the inner ducts molded directly to it so it's not as thick.

I'm not sure anyone cares but I sure don't want to mislead anyone. Now I have to rethink whether I want to trim the inner panel or mount the pumps as Trump has them.

Sorry to post bad info-won't happen again. :(

HOLD EVERYTHING!

Do not begin the above fuel pump procedure. Just as I was about to mount the plate and pumps as above I decided to mock-up the rear clip. Guess what? The thick inner shell that Trump supplies to stiffen the skin interferes if you mount the pumps there. On the original, the skin has the inner ducts molded directly to it so it's not as thick.

I'm not sure anyone cares but I sure don't want to mislead anyone. Now I have to rethink whether I want to trim the inner panel or mount the pumps as Trump has them.

Sorry to post bad info-won't happen again. :wub:

ALL FIXED.

The solution turned out easier than I thought. I made two small shims (.020" styrene ) for the two outboard pumps, and glued to the tips at the bottom of those pumps. This is so the pumps sit vertical, not angled like the bulkhead they're mounted to. Then glued that to the aluminum mount plate I made so that the pump bottoms angle out and the tops of the pumps touch the plate. Then glued the plate to the bulkhead and test fitted the firewall/chassis. As you can see, it fits and the plumbing is easier to do than Trumps method.

PUMPSII.jpg

Surprising new information:

I have progressed a bit further and will post some snaps in a day or so. However, I have come across some info that may be of value to builders here.

On another modeling forum, I found comments posted by two builders regarding the KA kit and it's use on this model. I cannot vouch for the accuracy or opinions of the posters. Further, I'm not affiliated with them or KA-indeed-I did not buy the KA kits. I know that Len for one is using the KA parts and I hope this is of some value to him. I think my thread has several 'lurkers' but very few are posting opinions or discussing the model kit.

First quote:

"Out of curiousity, any idea what the KA PE parts on fret E number "1.2", "1.5", and "1.8" are? The instructions they provide just show them being bent into a circular bracket, but I've no idea where they mount. Given that there are a grand total of 160 of those things, I'm sure it probably should be obvious..."

Second quote:

"Interesting...I'm building the same kit plus the detail set...I'm having massive problems with both because they are simply of very bad quality...I redid most of the whitemtal engine parts because they are so way of the original and badly cast, same for most of the exhaust parts. I really hope you did a testfit of the exhausts :-)

I'm also very dissapointed about the PE parts...they just offer the wrong parts as metal :-)

but the seats are nice...well they are absolutely identical but that can be solved easily;-)"

Any comments or different experiences??

Surprising new information:

I have progressed a bit further and will post some snaps in a day or so. However, I have come across some info that may be of value to builders here.

On another modeling forum, I found comments posted by two builders regarding the KA kit and it's use on this model. I cannot vouch for the accuracy or opinions of the posters. Further, I'm not affiliated with them or KA-indeed-I did not buy the KA kits. I know that Len for one is using the KA parts and I hope this is of some value to him. I think my thread has several 'lurkers' but very few are posting opinions or discussing the model kit.

First quote:

"Out of curiousity, any idea what the KA PE parts on fret E number "1.2", "1.5", and "1.8" are? The instructions they provide just show them being bent into a circular bracket, but I've no idea where they mount. Given that there are a grand total of 160 of those things, I'm sure it probably should be obvious..."

Second quote:

"Interesting...I'm building the same kit plus the detail set...I'm having massive problems with both because they are simply of very bad quality...I redid most of the whitemtal engine parts because they are so way of the original and badly cast, same for most of the exhaust parts. I really hope you did a testfit of the exhausts :-)

I'm also very dissapointed about the PE parts...they just offer the wrong parts as metal :-)

but the seats are nice...well they are absolutely identical but that can be solved easily;-)"

Any comments or different experiences??

Cato can you post or PM me the link to the thread on the other board.

A small update:

Getting ready to close the interior and join the chassis. Here is a mock-up of the finished dash and wheel in place. The details I added are plumbing and wiring that these cars were loaded with. In my research, literally no two cars had the same wiring/plumbing detail layouts. Here are views of 1036 and 1015. They are slightly overexposed so you can see in the dark areas of the cockpit.

1036 has the speedo in place but 1015 has the master kill switch in place of that. The battery cables and fuses are different in both cars, plus a lot of other picky details:

1036EXP.jpg

EC_10Custom.jpg

Realizing I could not do an exact replica of one car because of the kit's (and my) limitations, I set out to create the atmosphere and general race-ready condition of these cars. I scuffed the sills and floors, used Nato black and German gray on the seats-nothing has a 'just painted or finished' look on my car. The battery I worked so hard on is almost invisible and will completely go away when the roof and doors are on. OH well-they were cramped and hot and I hope that comes across when I'm done. So that's why my details are a composite and only suggest the real cars:

P8240005.jpg

P8240014.jpg

Here's a quick tip: I found that waxed dental floss makes an excellent binding to hold things in position for gluing or mock-up. Of course many of you probably know this but I tried it for the first time. On the GT, you need to hold the brake tubes out of the way while joining the chassis sections, then pop them over the ducts on each wheel. Works great:

P8240003.jpg

That's Friskit on the windshield BTW.

I think my skill set is around the lower medium area and not up to the heavyweights posting here. So I'd appreciate any and all criticism, advice or tips to progress to a higher level. I'm no machinist like Comp and several others but their work sure inspires me. Please comment on the work so far. I love the car but am having a hard time doing it justice.

Well, I think you're underestimating your talents a bit, as it's looking great. The interior work is especially impressive. I wish I could find the photo (I thought I saved it on my computer, but found out I didn't) of the rear end of a Porsche 908 in the pits at a race. It was a white car, and the entire rear end looked black with soot from oil, road debris, rubber, etc. The only areas you could see white was where the pit crew's fingers had touched it or brushed against it. Rats, guess I'm going to have to Google Ferrari 275P images again, as that's where the photo popped up. If I find it, I'll post it.

Cato I am looking to have some turned aluminum Coil Overs made. However it looks like there is only a lower mount & eye but ther is not top. Any suggestions to make this more accurate? :huh:

Well that's a noble exercise but unless you're going to scratch the complete accurate suspension with Heim joints and tubular pieces, you're still looking at Trump's toy-like attachments and thicknesses. Turned shocks with coils are beautiful. Then too, it would mean you have to display the model completely open front and rear because, unlike a formula car, you see none of your hard work. I did brake lines but they're nearly invisible. I did solder coils on the front but left the rears which look lame IMO. Turned coilovers in the rear would look better because with the rear clip tilted open they are more visible. These attach differentlt than the fronts-both upper and lower mounts are circular like heims.

Here's what you're shooting for:

RFcorner.jpg

The attachments for the shocks are visible in this snap from earlier. The upper half of the shock is the top pair with the modified lowers below. I trimmed the inner stop 'piston' by 2mm to shorten the shock then pushed the lower into the upper. The open upper and lower attachments attach to the chassis inboard at the top and outboard at the bottom. But if you get heim connections made on the turned shocks you will need to either fish-mouth them to snap on the stock suspension locations or make complete tubular attachments to go through them:

SHKS.jpg

I've now got the chassis joined and you can see what it looks like with the nose off. If you tilt the nose open you will still have difficulty seeing the suspension. See below:

P8250005.jpg

P8250004.jpg

P8250006.jpg

Tip: I used a #6 split washer(with 1mm snipped out of the circumference) in the wheel axle hole (outboard side) which makes the attachment screw 'center' the wheel. If you don't do this the wheels flop around on the upright axle and tilt like a child's toy.

The change in ride height works perfectly and the wheels sit centered and very close at the top of the front fender clip.

Len, did you start the kit yet or are just planning? Was the KA info I posted helpful? If started please post progress and feedback.

Posted by Cato, Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Please comment on the work so far. I love the car but am having a hard time doing it justice.

Mate....I rather think you ARE doing the kit justice. ;) ;)

Excellent details, and great reference pics too if I may add...(I'm saving them too, hope you don't mind...B) )

Really like the way you dropped the ride height, as I'm not a fan of high race cars either...I'll be using your idea on mine. :D (when I get started. :P )

Guys-thanks for the kind words.

Stump, I posted those reference shots in the hope that it will interest guys to get going on this kit. It's hard to model something when you don't know what the original looked like.

I was hoping other guys with similar reference would post them to help me too. Pete J. has been a help with his material.

I'm struggling now with the fuel pump lines and it's a challenge. One help was to enlarge the instruction illustrations to 200% on the copier. I'm having no trouble with their woven tubing as I read other modelers have, but there are other conflicts to resolve. The fuel filter and heat shield under the cabin window are a particular PIA. I should have scratched a new shield but I'm getting this one to work. Will post snaps which will explain better.

I know when you guys get around to building yours and post, I'll want to crush mine... :)