#21 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,864 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Those are simply amazing Harry. Do you sell the finished items or is it simply a passion you have? I for one would have no problem purchasing something of that quality. Great job!

I can't wait to see one take shape in your tutorial thread.

So far I've only done them for fun.

As one point I was seriously considering doing them for a living... that is, if I could sell enough to actually make a living. I was going to set up a website and offer "Car Portraits"... you know, the customer sends me a photo of the car they want done, and I create a "portrait" for them using their photo as a reference. But given the time it takes to do just one illustration, I'd have to charge big bucks in order to make it worth my time, and the amount I'd have to charge for each portrait to actually make a living doing them made me think that there wouldn't be a big market for them. (I had intended on creating one-of-a-kind, original illustrations for every customer, not copies or prints of previous illustrations I had done. Each one was going to be "custom.")

Maybe classic car collectors or celebrity car collectors or just people with money to spend would be interested and willing to pay what I would charge for a portrait (Hey Jay Leno... are you listening?)

But my idea never got beyond the "idea" stage... ;) Maybe some day I'll make a go of it, but I haven't so far...

#22 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

So far I've only done them for fun.

As one point I was seriously considering doing them for a living... that is, if I could sell enough to actually make a living. I was going to set up a website and offer "Car Portraits"... you know, the customer sends me a photo of the car they want done, and I create a "portrait" for them using their photo as a reference. But given the time it takes to do just one illustration, I'd have to charge big bucks in order to make it worth my time, and the amount I'd have to charge for each portrait to actually make a living doing them made me think that there wouldn't be a big market for them. (I had intended on creating one-of-a-kind, original illustrations for every customer, not copies or prints of previous illustrations I had done. Each one was going to be "custom.")

Maybe classic car collectors or celebrity car collectors or just people with money to spend would be interested and willing to pay what I would charge for a portrait (Hey Jay Leno... are you listening?)

But my idea never got beyond the "idea" stage... ;) Maybe some day I'll make a go of it, but I haven't so far...

You should Harry. Living up in the windy you will not find enough of a client base. But thinking along Barret Jackson locations Ca ,West Palm, Scottsdale

where I live and 1/2 hour away we see lots of big buck cars...and owners who have 4 or 5 houses...each stocked with a fleet of cars...Go for it !!:blink: B) ;)

They will pay $$$$ for that quality......I know what the local top shooters make......same difference.

#23 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:10 AM

A few more... all done using the techniques I showed you in the tutorial...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

You do some phantistic work, Harry. Your drawings look great.

#25 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

:angry: Yeah.

Call me when you do a rendering of a Top Fuel Trabant funny car. Or, you can just call me if you'd like to chat. (About how cool a rendering of a Top Fuel Trabant would be.)

#26 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Funny that you should mention a Trabant! I did this a few years ago, just as a joke:

Posted Image

:rolleyes:

#27 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hmmmm... the 'star car' of Summer 2011's biggest blockbuster... 4Fast4Furious...Moscow Breakdown! B)

#28 bigmikevee

bigmikevee

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Full Name:Ma-Ma-Ma....Mike Verona

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:34 AM

Hey Harry,

Man-oh-man-oh-man, these are just stunning!! I still draw like I did in first grade, but know something special when I see it, you sure have a wonderful eye for perspective!! Just curious, how long have you been doing this, and how long does it take to do a rendering to your satisfaction? I have always thought it would be cool to have a picture of one of my models, sure others might be intested as well. What do you think, would you contract on occasion for folks here?

Harry, these are wonderful, you do a fantastic job, wow, thanks for starting this thread!!

Mike

#29 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

Hey Harry,

Man-oh-man-oh-man, these are just stunning!! I still draw like I did in first grade, but know something special when I see it, you sure have a wonderful eye for perspective!! Just curious, how long have you been doing this, and how long does it take to do a rendering to your satisfaction? I have always thought it would be cool to have a picture of one of my models, sure others might be intested as well. What do you think, would you contract on occasion for folks here?

Harry, these are wonderful, you do a fantastic job, wow, thanks for starting this thread!!

Mike

I've been drawing and painting all my life, doing it on the computer for the last 20 years or so (Photoshop mostly, Illustrator once in a while).

Depending on how complex the subject is, it takes me roughly 8-15 hours or so on average do do a complete illustration. A few take longer, a few take less time. As far as taking commissions... I don't think many members here would be willing to pay me my asking price... :)