#221 misternemo

misternemo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:ryan klarenbeek

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

this is-bar none-the absolute best and most realistic dio i have ever seen!! thank you for posting it.

#222 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Iacoangeli

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

..thank you Joe, Jim and Ryan...

..Joe, the only foam board I know of is the kind with the paper backing which has to be removed to scribe the foam. You could use rigid insulation foam board, the kind found at big box hardware stores but the thinnest I could find around here was 1 inch thick and only comes in 4x8 sheets. As for the hobby foam board, the paper backing has to be removed on the side that your going to scribe the brick on. Some brands the backing can be peeled right off with ease. But the brand I got (Elmers) has to be dampened with water to loosen the glue. First I cut the desired size I need then put it in a pan of water for about 15 minutes. The paper backing comes off with no problems. Let it dry thoroughly then scribe away....

#223 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Danny...Glad to see this coming back together and moving forward...the service panel is awesome!

I gotta ask about the lights...I bought a pair of shades from you for my dio and would love to light them. Is the info on the functioning lights back in an earlier part of the thread? If so, I'll go looking. If not, do tell!! :)

I love the diorama. Like you, I don't really think mine will ever really be "done"!

#224 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Tony! ...the bulbs I used are "grain of rice" from Model Power #252, the conduit is made from 1/16 aluminum tubing. I could of used larger diameter tubing to make wiring easier but the thinner tubing looked more to scale. First I drilled a hole in the top of the lamp shade to fit the tube. The problem with the 1/16 tubing was that both wires would not fit through it, so I removed the insulation from one of the wires(the one I was using for ground/common) and then wrapped it around the other wire in a loose spiral. Once thought the top of the tube I separated them and soldered them to their prospective "bus" wires running along the top edge on the back side of the ceiling joists. From the side of the dio they went to an HO train transformer.

Posted Image

#225 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info Danny!

#226 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Go Danny! I love to see your progress after the "unlucky" day. Go for it - outstanding work. i cant get enough of it!

#227 ontwerpplus

ontwerpplus

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:Michel van de Wiel

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

WOW, just wow! You got me inspired to try making something like this, or something completely different.. ;) Not sure yet, but.. must make something as awesome as this!!

#228 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Looks great ! Just wondering....what size brick are you using for scale ? Standard brick measurements are 2 and 1/4" thick and 8" long. But there are different sizes in different countries. And different size bricks. What does yours measure out to. (scale wise) When I measure mine to scale, they seem to be much smaller than yours. Especially when I put them next to my scaled rock. Just wondering. Looks good...dont get me wrong. Soon................

#229 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

...thanks Dominik...I'm hoping to have a "lucky" day next time I take it somewhere..lol

...thanks Michel...glad to have inspired you..be sure to post picks of your new project what ever it may be....

...Vaughn...the bricks average out to about 8x3 in 1/25 scale....I did some test runs on scrap foam pieces of various sizes and I just liked they way these looked.

#230 andy1966

andy1966

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:andy payne

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

This is brilliant! All the attention to detail must have taken you ages! & thanks for sharing the "how to"s". AMAZING work! VERY well done.

#231 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

i'll bet there's an update coming soon

#232 andy1966

andy1966

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:andy payne

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

i'll bet there's an update coming soon

Hopefully! Cant wait!

#233 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

*thud* :blink:

Holy carp! Can't believe I missed this one...outstanding work. You've added a significant amount to the ol' ideas list for the build I'm starting to work up to.

Very impressed.

#234 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks fellas, sorry about the late response. I get so easily side tracked anymore, it's a pain getting old! Got some new items to add and hopefully soon.

#235 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

this is one of the most amazing dio builds to watch :)
you really inspired me to begin building a dio myself :) and so i did a couple of moths back and i also have a topic about mine here..
thnx for the inspiration

#236 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

..thank you Richard! glad my dio has inspired you! I will definitely check out yours.....

#237 Hollywood Jim

Hollywood Jim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Full Name:Jim F.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I love the look and feel of this diorama !!

#238 cobra98

cobra98

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Absolutely Beautiful work!!! Enjoy watching it progress & look forward to the completion.

#239 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

014.jpg

OK, just how do you get the road grime in there? Mostly the whites etc.

#240 dannyi

dannyi

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

..thanks Hollywood Jim and Joe!

....Mark, the weathering was done with flat black and rust paints and powders. First I painted the brake assm. with flat black. Then used 3 different rust colors, dabbing them on with a stiff brush. For the grime I used Bragdon Powders. They come individually or in a multi-pack. The multi-pack has 12 different colored powders so you can achieve just about any effect you would like. Here's the address for the powders in case you want them or need more information.....www.bragdonent.com