85 GMC Van W.I.P. 1-28-13 DONE! DONE! DONE!

• You cannot reply to this topic
400 replies to this topic

#341 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

Chassis and wheels look great!

David G,

#342 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

It's been little pieces that have been keeping me busy .. a milk crate and the steering wheel mostly. The crate was made from styrene shapes and brass mesh. It's far from perfect but will do deep inside the van. The steering wheel I found I had to make from scratch to get the right shape. I just used the outer rim from another wheel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I needed a GMC logo for the back doors and made a cast of the grill logo to use. My resin is way too old and it came out pretty bad. I made a number of casts using sprue melted in Ambroid cement and the two shown in Alclad are the best ones. It's stopping here after I use a red sharpie on them.
Posted Image

Here's why I left off half the engine accessories .. especially on top. The radiator goes tight against this making it even less visible.
Posted Image

Edited by Foxer, 26 July 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#343 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

A VERY small one to keep this alive. Seems everything need to finish is small. There were always tennis balls in the van for my daughter's dog, so ...

Some correct sized metal beads I found at Michaels. They even had a pin attached for holding and to mount! I coated with some embossing powder for a bit of texture.
Posted Image

#344 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Glad to see this one back and making progress, Mike!

#345 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Moving right along ... front grill/bumper is done. I made a ceiling that is similar to the "tapestry" my daughter had hanging in the van ... just printed on some white paper and glued in. The rear logos look ok painted .. one will work. All the decals are printed and drying and should get applied this weekend.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I made some CD cases from clear sheet and decals that will get distributed in the front ...maybe some photos later in the weekend. All are Grateful Dead ... she IS my daughter! :)

#346 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Finished the decals, but I may re-do some of these rounded ones after looking at the photo! :lol: I left the photo a bit larger than usual so the decals were more readable. I'm amaved the decal process lets me do things this fine.
Posted Image

#347 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

This is in FINAL ASSEMBLY! One side of the interior is epoxied in and did a mockup to check fit and see how purple window color works. The purple passes and fit is good. The only problem ... THE TOP HINGE ON LEFT DOOR CAME UNGLUED!!! gRRRRR

Don't mind the wheels as they were just stuck on and somewhat wobbly with no glue. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

At any rate, I'm happy with it all. Just a few little things .. waiting for some radio faces to see if Detail Master's are better than ones i have. The rear axle came unglued during the mockup so it got epoxied in place for good. The matching plastic glur face was pretty small so the epoxy should hold it.

I can almost SMELL the final display case!!! :)

#348 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi Mike, Good to see you finishing this one up :mellow: :mellow: Looking forward to seeing the completed interior with all the cool details you made!!

Randy

#349 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Randy. I plan to take a bunch of photos of the interior before I put it in the body as it will be tough to see then.

#350 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

I've been watching this one since December, Mike. It's great to see someone put so much effort into making a faithful scale depiction of a family ride. Great execution, as well.

#351 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Stiles

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Mike,

This is by far my favorite W.I.P./build ever,I love how you pulled off the purple window treatment.....enjoy seeing more....

#352 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

This one literally keeps on getting better!

#353 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm glad I found this one again, Mike!

That came out great. I'm especailly impressed with the GMC scripts.

Trips to the Berkshires keep getting put off/rescheduled, put off. Due notice will be given when I make it out there.

I'm open to car-pooling/room share for NNL next year if you'd like to go, too.

Charlie Larkin

#354 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys. I can't believe I'm close to seeing the finish of this. Wheels are epoxied and planning the, hopefully, last JB Weld of a hinge back on today. The hubcap decals are ready and that might be worth a photo ... otherwise I'm trying to hold off till something substantial is done. :)

Charlie, the Berkshires haven't moved ... well, almost .. lost two trees Sunday in that wicked line of thunderstorms. With TWO completions (including this van) this year, NNL East is going to have to fit in the schedule! The wife may come to this one as we have two grandson's an hour south of Wayne. We will have to hook up there, finally. Now that I know your camera it should be easy finding you! :lol:

#355 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Oh, I know the Berkshires haven't moved....it's my travel and budget that continues to be the elusive target. I'm aiming for this fall. My friends and I are planning a trip out of greater Worcester for a day, possibly overnight just for a change of scenery.

I do know I won't be at Classic Plastic this year- my cousin is getting married, and I think it would be very poor form to not show up.

Keep an eye for any one of the following: Canon/Bell & Howell FD, a Pentax K1000 (rapidly becoming my favorite despite being a little touchy to load,) or a Pentax SF-10. I'll probably have the Sunpak, too.

Charlie Larkin

#356 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

The hinges, the hinges. I know I should never have glued the pins so soon with all the work on the body to go ,,, and, true to form, one, then the second one on the left door came apart. I'm not sure I can get the bottom one back on without gluing the door shut as it's the middle cylinder that needs glue. If so, so be it.
The GMC logo got on and I replaces 3 of the scraggy decals.
Posted Image

New hubcaps are flatter than the ones I showed long ago but they work. Wheels are mounted, BTW!
Posted Image

At the alignment shop ...
Posted Image

Interior is shaping up ... just a steering wheel mount to go. CD player is in and that's all my daughter needs!
Posted Image
Posted Image

and YES! .. it DID pass Massachusetts inspection!
Posted Image

Edited by Foxer, 14 August 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#357 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Is that a Grateful Dead Cd in the storage bin on the enging cover I see?!?!?!?!

#358 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Is that a Grateful Dead Cd in the storage bin on the enging cover I see?!?!?!?!

ALL the CD's are Grateful Dead ... sharp eyes. My daughter inherited my love of the Dead .. :)

#359 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

ALL the CD's are Grateful Dead ... sharp eyes. My daughter inherited my love of the Dead .. :)

A-men!!!!!,we have a lot in common!!!,both have daughters who like cars and love the Dead!!!,honest honest My Baby Girl inherited my love of the Dead too,even to the point where she calls Jerry "Uncle Jerry" :wub: ......Only wish I could have taken her to one of their concerts.......You did good dad,you did good!!!

#360 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

The interior is DONE! ... unless I think of something else .. :lol: The pillows are felt sewn and stuffed. The dog leash is yarn with a catch file shaped from some flattened soft plant wire. Dog's throwing sticks are just that ... sticks. I did just notice the dash needs a couple air vents.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image