It was a truck I was already going to build, but I changed my mind as to how I would do it. I was originally going to update an AMT KW kit with new battery boxes and door handles along with the CAT engine. Instead, I grabbed one of my Snap KW kits the next time I got home after my inspiration hit me. I used the 1991 re-issue molded in the orange plastic. I figure it's the perfect one to use for a learning experience, considering what a pain this kit was. The orange plastic being a pain to paint, and the chrome on this kit isn't very good, so I think I'll be Alcladding it instead. As you will see, there is a bit of a size difference between the AMT and Monogram cabs. The AMT cab fits inside the other cab pretty nicely. It's still usable for the plug I made. It didn't come out perfect, but it's a good start.
Anyhow, here's where my experiment has taken me so far, starting with those first cuts.
I was originally going to use the AMT sleeper in the pic, but I used it for reference to cut down the Aerodyne instead. The detail on it around the doors is better. I will use a KW roof I have at home that will be cut down. Besides, it's good practice for a future project I have in mind.
Here you see the "organ donor", the cab from an Alaskan Hauler kit that I have designated a parts kit.
My "plug" is glued into place. I still have all the putty and sanding to do later, but I'm happy to have started at least.
And here is a mock up.
I've been working on a front wall for the sleeper as well as fitting a floor. I'll post some more pix tomorrow after more of the bodywork has been done.
Edited by FlatbedKW, 11 July 2011 - 09:21 PM.