Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making Door & Hood Hinges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just bought a can of metallic rustoleum, and it had a safety clip on the trigger-I assume to keep from being sprayed in the store. After removing the safety clip, it is plastic and looks remarkably like the hinge bases on the older kits. Drill a hole thru from side to side and done. All that is needed is the wire hinge itself. Hope this helps someone, I already have plans for some of these things. Ray

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's a simple way to make hood hinges.

Bend some paper clip wire to make the left and right side hinge arms. One end of each arm is epoxied to the underside of the hood, and the other end goes into a length of brass or aluminum tube epoxied to the underside of the cowl (tube should have a diameter just large enough to accept the paper clip wire arms without the arms binding). These hinges are not prototypically realistic, but they work...and they're easy to do.

The exact placement of the hinge arms and the hinge tube depends on the model you're building. Try it first with the parts simply taped in place, to make sure everything works smoothly, before you epoxy the parts.

hinge.jpg

thanks Harry this solved my question working on custom van The Grim Repear

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

trumpeter provide a very complicated PE (to a non PE user like me)set of prototypically correect hood hinges in some of their kits (the 62 bonneville if memory serves is one of them)

they're made of at least 4 pieces per side and require some folding and pins inserting through appropriate holes which become the pivot points.

i imagine they'd look most effective when complete but just looking at them scared the hell out of me

Got any tips for this? I'm doin a 1:25 1948 Ford Super Deluxe four door Sedan Resin kit.

There's no room for that curved wire they showed as a support for these hinges.

So far I had to mill and cut a little to fit, and make them look alike. There's just not enough room.

MCG2188.gif

Edited by Definit1

• 1 month later...

This is a Revell Dodge sidewinder show truck I was working on. The hinge was made out of sheet plastic thick enough to drill and and insert a wire pin through. It takes up very little space and allows realistic operation. I'm currently working on a more durable metal version that i will shoot a how-to on. Any interest?

IMG_2256-vi.jpg

IMG_2257-vi.jpg

IMG_2259-vi.jpg

IMG_2260-vi.jpg

IMG_2261-vi.jpg

IMG_2263-vi.jpg

bump

did this ever get posted??

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I just recently abandoned my first opening door project because it was just giving me fits. I really want something that looks closer to oem hinges on real cars. I think I may have hit on something, two words, "eyeglass hinges". Go to this website; www.tailiglassesparts.com

Just look at the hinges, the ideas start to roll. Or, you could go to the dollar store and literally spend $5 for 10 hinges. Armed with a hobby saw and super glue cut the hinges out and make them fit and work in your project. I am actually excited about starting another project with opening features. If anyone has tried this and ran into nightmares let me know, but I think this sounds really good so far. Best wishes, Sean.