MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Oh my .. that is looking good!

Hey, Daniel, do you realize that is all metal!? :lol:

Glad to see you back and healed. I never imagined you were gonna use metal, but it IS a diecast. Will make it all the more interesting to follow. :lol:

#22 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

I am going to try and use brass as much as possible for strength. While comparing this fitting I noticed that the underframe on the model hangs down below the body whereas the real car seems to have everything tucked up nice and clean!(sigh).

#23 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

While comparing this fitting I noticed that the underframe on the model hangs down below the body whereas the real car seems to have everything tucked up nice and clean!(sigh).

What areas did you see that in? I had a real 79 Firebird, I might be able to help.

#24 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image
I am refering to the rear. On the model the spring is visible below the body panel whereas on the photo of the car the only thing visible appears to be the exhaust pipes. Did these things ever have coil suspension? This is always assuming that the photo was not retouched! I already have the reshaping of the front flare planned out.
This is a picture of the '78 before the '79 upgrade.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

#25 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

Daniel, I was just looking at the photo above of your project. I think your going to half to do something about the original diecast rear roof part. It seems to me it is abit sloped down wards in the rear. It looks like you might have to take and slightly notch and push it forwards just afew hairs and make a small metal piece to stick in there where the gap would be at on the bottom. I really like your project so far and I will be following it. Keep up the good work on your build here man.

Edited by m0parman, 19 October 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#26 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

You are right about the roof. I have to build up the rear slightly and still cut the middle post to width and then two cuts at the top corners and bend up slightly to get the proper rake and slant. At the rate I am going, about two days work! And still mount the roof and hope it all melds together and looks right the first time!

#27 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

Posted Image
I am refering to the rear. On the model the spring is visible below the body panel whereas on the photo of the car the only thing visible appears to be the exhaust pipes. Did these things ever have coil suspension? This is always assuming that the photo was not retouched! I already have the reshaping of the front flare planned out.
This is a picture of the '78 before the '79 upgrade.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I'm understanding what you mean now, Daniel. Since there was not much to the rear springs in the real cars, you should not see very much of the spring below the rear quarter panel. I assume maybe the diecast casting must have just gotten a little "chunky" in the rear spring area. If it's just a slight bit of the spring showing, I'd just leave it be, because that would be prototypically correct. It doesn't show very well in your picture, and not much better in these, but there should be just a slight piece of the spring showing. The white one is Revell's 78 Trans Am and the blue is a 1/24 Johnny Lightning 70 Trans Am diecast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, especially with the Revell kit, there is a slight amount of spring that does hang down below the quarter panel. That is also how my 1:1 79 Firebird was, and that is mainly because the springs mount below the axle. If there is more than that showing of your spring, I'd try to sand it down to just around the quarter panel, but if it's slight, like I said, I'd leave it be.

Also, as far as I know, since the Type K was just a concept, I would guess GM just used the existing Trans Am platform, so I don't think they would have had coil springs. The Trans Am did not have coil springs until the third generation cars came out in 1982.

#28 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the comparisons. I am thinking the engineering on the diecast model is a bit clunky. I will just try to clean it up a little and live with the result! Anchored the rear on and now ready to do some more cutting as soon as the joint has cured.
Posted Image

#29 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

Incredible build you have going on here Daniel I'll be following this one to the end! keep up the excellent work. ;)

#30 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

This is looking great, i have both the pontiac version and the camaro versions on my shelf, so if ya need pictures let me know

#31 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

This is looking great, i have both the pontiac version and the camaro versions on my shelf, so if ya need pictures let me know

And if you'd ever like to get rid of the Pontiac one, let me know! B)

#32 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. This is it for today.
Posted Image

#33 Tumbler75

Tumbler75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Lookin' good so far! Keep up the great work! It's starting to take shape now. Can't wait to see more. :P

I've owned several generations of Camaros, Firebirds, and T/A's. I can understand the frustration with the underpinnings hangin' down on your car. My 1975 and 1979 Camaros as well as my 1978 Firebird and 1980 T/A had jus' a tad bit of the rear springs showing. (My Camaros' exhaust hung lower than on the Pontiacs). Keep us posted! I'm watchin' this come to life.

Edited by Tumbler75, 21 October 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#34 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

B)

#35 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

So. having looked and looked and measured some more I decided that it just was not going to work the way it was. so...
Posted Image
Things don't alway go as planned the first time!

#36 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Back together, slightly taller...
Posted Image
and re-mounted, sitting slightly lower.
Posted Image

#37 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Glad to here your hand is back in working order.
The T/A Wagon is really starting to take good shape.

seems to be a good time to start soldering it instead of trying to glue it.
Don't ask me tho, I can't solder to save my life :lol: :D

#38 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

I have it pinned on so when all of the filler is shaped around it, it should be OK. (I had to use the saw to get it apart before re-building)

#39 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Wow, it is definitely a challege! One you have shown you are up to though!:D
I had seen pictures of this car in the past but never compared it with the stock TransAm. There are some very subtle differences! They flattened out the roof raising it at the B-Pillar!
Just looking at the pictues comparing the Two they had to have custom door glass made as the original glass curved down towards the back and the coversions is squared off to flow off with the roof extension!
Looking towards seeing this one come to light as we did the 58 Chevy!:lol:

#40 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Managed to get a little bit done today. Waiting for the J-B Weld to set up and then take out the windshield and reinforce everything before starting on the rear and T roof.
Posted Image