Model Cars Magazine Forum

TransAm sport truck

DanielG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was open on my '77 T/A. Nice work you're doing with this build. I'm working on the US Airfix kit, and using a Monogram kit for the engine and so forth, but you've my build beat by a long shot.

If you can find it, there is a book on the history of the Firebird Trans Am's from 1969 to 1999 written by George Scala and Wallace Wyss. It includes the history of the K-Type. Interesting side note, the first K-type was built in 1977, it had a standard non shaker hood, no flares, standard Firebird front fenders without the T/A scoops, and it had custom aluminum deep dish wheels that have what look to be 1/2 inch holes drilled in them. According to the book, Pininfarina's projected price estimate would've cost(in 1977 prices) $25,000.00 per body, Twice the price for a fully loaded Trans Am.B)

According to the book, an after market company in California offered a package to convert Trans Am coupes to wagons...

Hope this info helps a little bit

Thanks for the info. The earliest pictures I have found are of the '78 version before it was re-built for the '79 year so that is what I am trying to replicate.

The wheels and tires in 1/18 scale are going to be a problem, I have not found the perfect combo yet and shudder at the thought of trying to re-work the facets of the wheels that I have. They (the facets) appear to be the proper design but are cast too thin and go into the centre too far (sigh).

Thanks a bunch! This forum and you guys are the greatest. I could turn those wheels out on my lathe (if I had to!) One more set of tires added to the mix. I am going to carry on with the later version if I can if only because I think it a little cooler! Thanks again.

Carrying on...

DSC02307.jpg

I have cut away the spacing filler ahead of the rad (added a bit of stripping for strength) and cut away some of the nose clip to start on the air-dam. It will be made one with the nose. When all glued and filled the scribed line will represent the joint of the nose clip and the air-dam/intake moulding.

The air-duct is almost finished and 'looks as though' it will mate with the fender flares when they are continued around the bottom of the fender. I tried to use the piece as a master to vacu-form some plastic parts but it would not get enough suction. I did not want to risk damaging the piece so had to use it as is as a one-off.

DSC02311.jpg

DSC02312.jpg

So, some more priming and sanding and then gluing the works together and filling to remove the previous engineering joints and some more priming and sanding and it should be done. Doesn't take long if you say it fast!

But it takes forrrrrrreeeever if you talk like Droopy...;)

It looks good! One question though... It looks as though the fender spoilers aren't going to meet up with the lower spoiler. Is there a part that hasn't been attached yet? Just curious...

The flares will be lengthened as they come down and around the fender so it 'should' all line up. I plan on adding plastic to the outside of the flare stub visible in the pic and melding it into the fender to get the proper line. Theory being that it should end up looking like the photo evidence that is available so far.