Revell's '97 F-150 kits...can they be crossed?

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hey guys I have the '97 regular cab kit, and I wanted an extended cab for a project. Then I remember there is an extended cab version but with a flareside box. So the question is, can you take a)the regular box off the standard cab and stick it on the extended cab's chassis, and/or :P take the extended cab off and mate it up to the regular box and chassis from that kit.

I know there are AMT Snap-Fast Extended cab kits, but I need a 2wd not 4wd, and I'd rather have something with an engine and detail if possible.

Figured I can combine the remaining parts into a non-Lightning standard cab flareside box. But before I got sinking in for a kit, I'd like to know if my idea works. :lol:

#2 slammdsonoma

slammdsonoma

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Niceswanger

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

i think i understand where your getting at, basically wanting a ext cab flareside..right? Yes the bodys are interchangable and doing an ext cab out of 2 standards is very easyily done. I havent posted it yet, but i have a 99 F-150 flareside..built from 2 lightning kits.

#3 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

i think i understand where your getting at, basically wanting a ext cab flareside..right? Yes the bodys are interchangable and doing an ext cab out of 2 standards is very easyily done. I havent posted it yet, but i have a 99 F-150 flareside..built from 2 lightning kits.

No there already is a Revell kit of a Extended Cab Flareside. What I want to do is match up a non-flareside box with the extended cab kit. But the Flareside box seems shorter than a "smooth-side" box and with the extra cab length I'm not sure it would fit on the chassis.

#4 slammdsonoma

slammdsonoma

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

it most likely wont fit a stock frame, unless ya cut the bed itself down to a shortbed.

or build a custom frame.

#5 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

So basically I have this kit...
Posted Image
and I need the cab out of this kit...
Posted Image

To make something like this...
Posted Image

#6 slammdsonoma

slammdsonoma

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

i have the longbed kit, yes youll have to chop it down to make it fit on a stock frame.

#7 gasman

gasman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

AMT did a snap ext. cab Ford truck in that body style.
Posted Image

#8 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

James, a lot of the Snap-Fast Plus kits had the hoods molding separately. You might be able to massage the Revell Chassis under that without too much trouble. It also wouldn't be too tough to cut the hood off and add the underhood detail, which you'd have to do either way.

Charlie Larkin

#9 mountaindewd

mountaindewd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Full Name:Les

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

James,

According to F150.net, the wheelbase on the reg cab longbed is 138.5 and the super cab flareside is 138.5.
Providing the same measurements were used for both kits, it should work. Of course, one kit being Revell/Monogram and the other just Revell might throw a wrench in the works but I would bet on it working.

Wait, got my things mixed up there. You'll have to shorten the bed on the reg cab kit ahead of the wheelwells for it to work. Then just install it in place of the flareside bed.

Edited by mountaindewd, 02 October 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#10 Nick W.

Nick W.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Wester Jr.

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

I have seen a build up of where someone also used the lindberg kit! I guess parts from that can be used too!

#11 Harold

Harold

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Palmer

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Definitely doable. I've swapped out boxes and cabs on all the different versions of the '97 era F- 150's from AMT, Revell and Lindberg. The brown one in my sig? Its a Lightning with the suspension, bumpers. interior and engine from the extended cab Flareside. The light blue one is the AMT kit with the cab and interior from Revell's standard cab.

Posted Image
AMT snapper with box, grille and bumper from the Lindberg kit, running boards fro HD/ F- 150

Posted Image
Revell extended cab and long box, frame extended 13/16"

Posted Image
Hope this helps...

Edited by Harold, 06 October 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#12 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks guys for all the help...doesn't seem like too hard a conversion.

#13 Harold

Harold

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Palmer

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks guys for all the help...doesn't seem like too hard a conversion.

The AMT glue kit has the standard short box, as does the snapper. However, both 4WD kits (AMT snapper and Lindberg's) have a boxes and cabs have the fender flares that were used on the real four- wheelers. For your application, you'll want the box from the AMT glue kit. (while that has a great frame and the smooth short box, the cab doesn't come off as well as the one in the Revell kit). Good luck.

Edited by Harold, 06 October 2010 - 06:29 AM.