Sources for Late Model Ford engines....

Guest zebm1

I'm looking for kits or aftermarket sources for either a

800px-1969_Ford_Mustang_351_Clevela.jpg

1969 Ford Mustang 351 Cleveland HO.....or a

800px-2003_Ford_Mustang_Cobra_32v_S.jpg

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra 32v modular OHC supercharged.......or a

800px-2007_Ford_Shelby_GT500_engine.jpg

2007 Ford Shelby GT500 5.4 Litre modular OHC supercharged.

Yall got any suggestions?

Zeb :twisted:

The motor in the Monogram Torino is the big block 429. I personally dont know of any kit with a cleveland mill except for maybe some of the NASCAR kits (the AMT taurus nascar kit I won as a door prize has a Chevy motor in it!) You could use parts from the Boss 302 motor in AMT's 69 Cougar or Monograms Mustang to make a pretty convincing cleveland mill. The heads and valve covers are the same.

Here is a cleveland mill I made using this method.............

P1016071.jpg

Revell's '99 Cobra has an N/A 4.6L DOHC, Revell F-150 Lightning has a blown 5.4L SOHC, and the PL Ford GT has a Blown 5.4L SOHC with a transaxle, even though it should have DOHC heads. I think the Revell Mustang Mach III concept car had a blown 4.6L DOHC as well.

Well, that is correct in that the engine from the Torino is labeled as a 429.... however, since there are no decent kits which contain the short production Cleveland 351 (1970 – 1974). I suggested starting with the Torino engine. It CAN be built up into a very believable 351 Cleveland because I did it!

You see, I used to own a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 with a 4 main bearing version of this engine.

attheshow-vi.jpg

I spent a lot of time on my back under that engine in the 5 years it was in my garage and I can tell you first hand that the Torino engine is the closest you will find! You could source the heads from the ’70 Boss 302 as they ARE Cleveland heads… but the differences are so slight as to be nearly nonexistent.

While I had the Mach, I replaced the pan gasket; the timing chain, the starter, radiator, and valve cover gaskets, rebuilt the 4bb carb twice and fretted over the vacuum tubing constantly. It got to the point that I could work on that engine without turning on the freaking light…

Michael "Raisin" Garrett is correct however, that you could use one of the NASCAR kit engines. But unfortunately that will require you to find another source for a correct oil pan, correct intake manifold and auxiliary components. The Torino already has those plus the correct 4-speed tranny. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

The only major modification I made on my conversion was cutting away the forward part of the intake manifold so that the cooling hose and distributor could be mounted directly to the top deck of the block, as this is the most obvious feature of the Cleveland. The rest of the casting is spot on with the Cleveland including the timing cover, oil pan, fuel pump, water pump and block casting details.

Okay? Okay!

Another option would be the engine from any of the MPC early 80's

Ford Bronco kits as they are supposed to be 400ci and that engine

is part of the "335" series that Ford produced which included

the 351C, 351M and 400 the latter two were essntially the same as

the first only basically smog motors and used the big block bellhousing

I know there were other minor differences but it will pass for a Cleveland

easily I may have one floating around let me know offline if you want it

also you can use the valve covers from the MPC/AMT Boss 351 kit!

HTH

While I had the Mach, I replaced the pan gasket; the timing chain, the starter, radiator, and valve cover gaskets, rebuilt the 4bb carb twice and fretted over the vacuum tubing constantly. It got to the point that I could work on that engine without turning on the freaking light…

I feel your pain Jairus as I am that way around the old FE and 300 six bangers :D:D:D

Still thinking about it. Finally getting around to doing a model of a drawing I did back in tha late 60s - early 70s of a kustom 56 Ford that waz supposed to have a 289. Need a more modern engine now. :D

:twisted: Zeb

• 2 months later...