Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Ford F350 Crew Cab

Well I had to start something to get my head a rollin' and I can't find a few older projects yet (too many boxes to look through). They'll turn up.... eventually.

So this is what I'm doing. I've seen in a magazine sometime ago about some trucks done in either the 1980's or 1990's (or both) by a conversion company out west somewhere. They would take a Crew Cab and ad the Extended Cab area to make the cab bigger. I liked it so much I decided to replicate it. Besides the only trucks that look decent as Extended Cabs in the 350/3500 style is Dodge. Crew Cabs should have 4 doors in my book. :D Extended Cabs are for 150/1500 and 250/2500 model trucks. :D I've taken a two Ford kits by Revell-ogram and converted them into a Crew Cab Extended Conversion truck. I've not seen one done so I dunno if I'm the first to do this. Here we go!

Ford F250 and F350 Heavy Duty Extended Cabs by Revell-ogram.

DSCF0038.jpg

Marked, Cut, and Graft is the next key. You can see where I've started correcting the Rear Door Windows in the front.

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

This is gonna turn out to be ONE LOOONG truck. But it's gonna be fun too. Simple, but fun.

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Tumbler75

Excellent, I’ll be watching this build!! I’ve been looking for late model trucks,well... '70's - today, doesn’t seem to be many around. I see your in Memphis, if you run across any please PM and give me heads up.

First off, Thanx to all who are watching and to those commenting. This keeps me motivated to keep going on this build.

I've got a small update, Sept. 30th, 2010. I have extended the Interior Tub and the Frame. Everything is roughed in and the door panels for the rear have been done too. Everything still needs fine tuned but getting the "rough ins" done first then comes the fine tuning. Enjoy! Sorry it's not more. Time is limited to work on models working 50 hours a week.

Interior tub with the rear floor fixed so it's flat across like the 1:1.

DSCF0055.jpg

Regular Panels (Unmodded) on top and the Rear Door Panels (modded) on bottom.

DSCF0054.jpg

The Frame, everything will still go where it needs to. I glued the tub and frame together to give them both strength. Still need to add a few braces here and there.

DSCF0056.jpg

Enjoy till next time! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm back with a MAJOR UPDATE! I decided (yet still can go back if need to) that the stock Dually Bed wasn't going to work. So from memory I started fabricating from the extra bed floor a Utility Box like the ones I used to make many years ago. I'm on the second round of plasti-putty (homemade stuff) on the cab. So, with that yammerin' out of the way. On to the pics!

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

Still got a ton to do to make it right. Doors, hinges, etc. Enjoy for now! :lol:

Hey man that going to look great!

OK, I'm back with a MAJOR UPDATE! I decided (yet still can go back if need to) that the stock Dually Bed wasn't going to work. So from memory I started fabricating from the extra bed floor a Utility Box like the ones I used to make many years ago. I'm on the second round of plasti-putty (homemade stuff) on the cab. So, with that yammerin' out of the way. On to the pics!

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

Still got a ton to do to make it right. Doors, hinges, etc. Enjoy for now! :lol:

Coming along nicely and should look good when done.

I do have to say that the utility bed looks a little big versus the rest of the build. Maybe you are planning on scaling it down a bit? The bed sides seem to hang down, giving the impression that the wheel openings are out of porportion to the rest of the bed.

Just my thoughts, not meant to be critical. I would love to be able to scratch build a bed like this but usually end up with a bunch of scrap plastic! Thank goodness The Modelhaus sells a resin utility bed!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I got home and I fell out from work. I got some work done on the F350. It looks like I'm axing the Utility Bed idea. Oh well. Anyways! I got some body work done and primer shot to show the imperfections I need to get sorted before anything like the final colour is laid down. You can't tell the two cabs have been joined at this stage of things so I'm happy! So on with the update!

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg

Roof Ribs were added:

DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

Till next time. Enjoy! B)

• 5 months later...

Ok! Dually Bed it is! So many complications have reared their ugly heads it isn't funny! I've stripped, redid the body work, and started all over again so many times I'm finally happy with the results (maybe). I really like the two tone paint schemes of the 80's Pick Up Trucks! I chose that for this truck. I went with FoMoCo Medium Blue Pearl and Grey Mist for the colours. I am happy with the results, but by all means this isn't going to be a show quality truck. Jus' something I like that different like all my builds. Enjoy!

DSCF0411.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

DSCF0412.jpg

Enjoy! B)