Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Pontiac Can Am

This just in from RMR Resin... The 1977 Pontiac Can Am is now available. It sells for $40 and includes body (hood molded shut), bumpers, interior tub, seats, dash, grille, taillights, and frame. It requires a 67-72 Pontiac kit to complete.

Pics:

77PontiacCanAm-1.jpg

77PontiacCanAm-2.jpg

77PontiacCanAm-3.jpg

77PontiacCanAm-4.jpg

Ron will have a very limited number of these on hand at the Toledo Toy Show next weekend, so get one before he sells out.

To order one:

Ron Andrews

(814)337-4250

andrews_544@hotmail.com

Check out the other cool stuff he offers:

RMR Web Site

Honestly I can say since this is obviously not based upon another kit body (that I know of), I think this is a very good effort of a near forgotten muscle car. I think a good modeler could make a very good replica from this. I agree with Mark on all points, but I still think this is a very good effort.

I personally think they did a good job on this one,The "flaws" Can be easily corrected,just mount the front bumper higher,Look guys at least we can now build one, I have seen some real junk come out in the past,This is a very hard car to master,And this is only the second Pontiac of this style I have ever seen done,The other was the 73 Grand Am the Juha Ario made , This in my oppinion is a great start to work with , My only complaint is I wish they spoiler wasn't molded to the trunk, So you could make a Lemans out of it,I will be putting this on the must have list!

I suppose this could go on and on (for example, the roof louvers appear to come down too far, the bottom line there is too curved and it looks like there are too many louvers to begin with; also, the headlight surrounds are too thick). But it seems to me, this being the only game in town, it could be a good canvas where a reasonably proficient modeler could fix these problems and have a nice-looking build. (But all that is beyond me.)

Kit source for the glass is mentioned in the first post,go back and read it. I'd tell you what it says,but i'm sure some of you in here will tell me its too long,too short,too wide,too narrow,too curved,too flat, etc. Ya know,if somebody put pics of their FINISHED MODEL on here and you dissed it like you did this resin piece (which somebody /not me/ worked VERY HARD to make) there would be cries of outrage!Wassamatta you! No,its not perfect,I knew that when I saw the master,but its work able....To those critics, I say.....buy one,fixit,have it cast,then watch the sharks have a feeding frenzy.........Steve Zimmerman

I was highly anticipating the arrival of this conversion kit. Unfortunately, I'm highly disappointed in the result. It is a very credible attempt, but way too far off for an accurate replica with too much work to do to make it a reasonable representation. And at $40 it is too much money to spend for so many inaccuracies.

A $9.95 body (like that other famous caster), maybe. But that's about as much as I ever feel like spending on a unit that is only 'workable.' (Sidebar - I won't even spend $9.95 on a TKM). But, at 4 times the threshhold for do-it-yourself, it's not a dog that'll hunt in my woods.

I've seen other products from this caster and have been impressed. This one, however, missed the mark. Just my constitutionally-protected humble opinion.

PS: No, I couldn't have done it better, I'm sure. But I'm still not gonna buy it.

ph34r.gif

Not sure if the suggested donor kit has the best fitting glass- seems a Johan Cutlass would be more accurate- seems this master may have been based on the either the Olds snap kit or the NASCAR Laguna/Malibu

One of these kits may actually be easier to rework into a convincing Pontiac than the resin offering

Edited by ChrisPflug

Ok, just in are a couple new pics of the mock up model that has gone through some minor revisions. I'm told that the bumper has been moved up, and it is now recommended to just use clear sheet styrene for windows. As Steve has already pointed out... If you reread the original post you'll notice that almost all parts to build are included and the donor kit was only for windows, wheels and tires.

77PontiacCanAm-5.jpg

77PontiacCanAm-6.jpg

77PontiacCanAm-7.jpg

Kit source for the glass is mentioned in the first post,go back and read it. I'd tell you what it says,but i'm sure some of you in here will tell me its too long,too short,too wide,too narrow,too curved,too flat, etc. Ya know,if somebody put pics of their FINISHED MODEL on here and you dissed it like you did this resin piece (which somebody /not me/ worked VERY HARD to make) there would be cries of outrage!Wassamatta you! No,its not perfect,I knew that when I saw the master,but its work able....To those critics, I say.....buy one,fixit,have it cast,then watch the sharks have a feeding frenzy.........Steve Zimmerman

I quoted that he did a excellent job on trying to master it, only I thought the

front and rear treatments did not look like the 1:1...

B) This is probably going to upset some people and if it does - please understand that it is not meant to do so. But it is something that I think needs to be said...

With all due respect to everyone and in all fairness to the resin casting people - it's easy to be an armchair quarterback when it comes to criticizing resin cast models but IMHO, I think that some of you guys are way too hard on the casters. We should be grateful that someone is even attempting to produce models of cars and trucks that otherwise would be forgotten and only be wished for. If we see a product that could use some tweaking ( like the bumpers on this Pontiac ) then we can mention it to the caster and if he chooses to improve upon the model or not, then that is his business. As was done here, some friendly suggestions resulted in a fix - probably a much more difficult project than most of us realize.

I would like to believe that these people do their best to produce a product that is as good as they can make it and the huge majority of these people are pretty honest and they work hard to give us what we want. When this kit was announced, the posts were all gaga about it - now that it's here - it seems to me like some of you guys are being pretty hard on Steve, especially given the fact that he seems to be trying to fix what you see as wrong. It's a resin kit for crying out loud and they ALL need some work - some more so than others. I suggest that maybe some encouraging words may go a long ways towards fixing any issues that you see in the kit as well as perhaps having people like him Steve step out and give us some more unusual, neat stuff. My hat is off to these people for doing their best - and thank you to every caster for your efforts.

As builders, we should recognize where our limits are as builders - what our skill levels are - and while we should always strive to do better, we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew when it comes to buying projects. It's OK to buy a product and then if it is too daunting at that time, set it on the shelf until you feel that you are able to tackle the job and do so with some degree of success. I've seen some miracles performed with resin kits that people said were garbage and I know that the people who do take and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear are way beyond anything that I could do. It's a lot easier to criticize and point fingers than it is to produce something like this Pontiac. I figure that if I don't like it, then I'm best to keep my opinions to myself and say nothing. Thanks Steve - your efforts are appreciated. :):);)

:) This is probably going to upset some people and if it does - please understand that it is not meant to do so. But it is something that I think needs to be said...

With all due respect to everyone and in all fairness to the resin casting people - it's easy to be an armchair quarterback when it comes to criticizing resin cast models but IMHO, I think that some of you guys are way too hard on the casters. We should be grateful that someone is even attempting to produce models of cars and trucks that otherwise would be forgotten and only be wished for. If we see a product that could use some tweaking ( like the bumpers on this Pontiac ) then we can mention it to the caster and if he chooses to improve upon the model or not, then that is his business. As was done here, some friendly suggestions resulted in a fix - probably a much more difficult project than most of us realize.

I would like to believe that these people do their best to produce a product that is as good as they can make it and the huge majority of these people are pretty honest and they work hard to give us what we want. When this kit was announced, the posts were all gaga about it - now that it's here - it seems to me like some of you guys are being pretty hard on Steve, especially given the fact that he seems to be trying to fix what you see as wrong. It's a resin kit for crying out loud and they ALL need some work - some more so than others. I suggest that maybe some encouraging words may go a long ways towards fixing any issues that you see in the kit as well as perhaps having people like him Steve step out and give us some more unusual, neat stuff. My hat is off to these people for doing their best - and thank you to every caster for your efforts.

As builders, we should recognize where our limits are as builders - what our skill levels are - and while we should always strive to do better, we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew when it comes to buying projects. It's OK to buy a product and then if it is too daunting at that time, set it on the shelf until you feel that you are able to tackle the job and do so with some degree of success. I've seen some miracles performed with resin kits that people said were garbage and I know that the people who do take and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear are way beyond anything that I could do. It's a lot easier to criticize and point fingers than it is to produce something like this Pontiac. I figure that if I don't like it, then I'm best to keep my opinions to myself and say nothing. Thanks Steve - your efforts are appreciated. :):):)

AMEN brother.....

B) This is probably going to upset some people and if it does - please understand that it is not meant to do so. But it is something that I think needs to be said...

As builders, we should recognize where our limits are as builders - what our skill levels are - and while we should always strive to do better, we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew when it comes to buying projects. It's OK to buy a product and then if it is too daunting at that time, set it on the shelf until you feel that you are able to tackle the job and do so with some degree of success. I've seen some miracles performed with resin kits that people said were garbage and I know that the people who do take and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear are way beyond anything that I could do. It's a lot easier to criticize and point fingers than it is to produce something like this Pontiac. I figure that if I don't like it, then I'm best to keep my opinions to myself and say nothing. Thanks Steve - your efforts are appreciated. :lol::lol::o

boy being in the biz i sure liked seeing this!