Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spenser's '67 Mustang GT

mrmike

This is the AMT '67 Mustang GT done as the Mustang from Robert Urich's last turn as Robert B. Parker's Spenser. Very little is known about this car so I took certain liberties with the build.

The Mustang from the movie.

67Mustang08.jpg

My build.

67Mustang40.jpg

67Mustang41.jpg

67Mustang42.jpg

67Mustang43.jpg

67Mustang44.jpg

67Mustang46.jpg

This is very cool! '67 Mustang is very nice car... Paintjob looks awesome, it's so smooth and shiney, engine looks very very good too, detailing is very nice and that interior is very good looking too! Now it's 60's car so it's very good choice to build it this nicely! Thank you for sharing this one, your Charger looks very good too, I'm watching it surely...!

Thanks guys!

Charlie, to tell you the truth, I don't know. Several years ago i tried to replicate my father's maroon '71 Cougar and I thought the Honduras Maroon would be close to the FOMOCO Maroon, and it wasn't. I purchased a can of the Tamiya Maroon and sprayed it over the Honduras Maroon and the color was very close to what I needed. The license plate.....that was how the plate appeared in the movie. It was not a real plate since it had no stickers in the corners of the plate.

• 2 years later...

Thanks Dirk, but be prepared to do some work if you are intent on using the Revell '68 hood on the AMT '67 Mustang...they don't fit together! The Revell hood is larger in width and length. I had tried to find the hood to AMT Fast and Furious '68 Mustang, but to no avail. If you are going to use the Revell hood for the louvers, be prepped and ready for major surgery.

Thanks Steve! Several years after the Spenser For Hire series ended it run on ABC, Lifetime cable network ran the cancelled series and offered Robert Urich an opportunity to return to the role of Robert B. Parker's popular literary hero. Four made-for-TV movies were produce from 1994 to 1996 and were based more on the books than the TV series. In the first two movies, Spenser's ride was a lowly and uninspired Ford Probe. In the last two movies, Spenser drove around in a '67 Mustang GT and this is clearly not the same car as used in the TV series. In Spenser A Savage Place, Spenser's old girlfriend comments about the Mustang to which Spenser replies, "Same old car, new paint job." Any fan of the series would know that this is not true. Different car altogether since this production was filmed in Toronto, Canada and not Boston, Mass. and the Mustang used in the movie was sourced in Canada. For whatever reason, Robert Urich decided not to continue with any further movies as Spenser and A&E cable network picked up the francise and offered the role to actor Joe Mantegna who continued for another three movies.