#21 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

Eric,

I think the number of positive replies indicate what a beautiful build this, and high quality pictures really help demonstrate exactly how nice it is. There is a solution for the missing T/A decals, but I'm not sure it's a "perfect" solution. Keith Marks makes decals for Trans Ams, but they are listed as "1973-1977" instead of 70+ as the brochures listed the late introduction Second Generation Firebird. The main difference being the Screaming Chicken on the hood instead of the one stripe that runs the length of the car. I do not know if the missing Fender and spoiler emblems, which the Keith Marks sheet provides are the same for 1970 and 1973 and up. Bare minimum, it would give you a convincing look that only the most avid Pontiac fan could tell was "incorrect". Here's the link to the decals:

http://images19.fotk...Pictures-vi.jpg

You can order them through his Fotki site or he also has auctions on ebay. And no, I'm not shilling for the company, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Funny, another friend (a talented graphic artist) and I were discussing these very decals the other day. That bird that Keith did looks like it was hand-drawn; it's not particularly good artwork, it's sufficient if you like a 5-footer. I've also seen some of his Z28 decals that were awful (a very well-regarded builder sent pics of a silver Monogram '79 Z28 he just built for a magazine article); jagged/pixelated edges, flaking pigment, the orange stripe was rendered as a series of stripes because ALPS decals don't blend "non-pure" colors very well. For the record, I have four sets of Keith's decals for other cars, and they're all very nice; crisp and the colors are pure, and I'm a happy customer too. Unfortunately they're not all to the same level of quality.

I don't know if Keith's T/A name emblems are the right size/scale for a '70. I've already taken care of Eric in the form of some blue T/A decals he can use w/o needing to go to Keith. His model is stunning in person. It practically glows. It's gorgeous; pictures don't do it justice.

#22 Eric C

Eric C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments.

#23 Mike

Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

WOW!!!! I've got this kit and plan to build it stock with a set of honeycomb wheels.

Yours looks SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. Fantastic finish.

#24 bsoder

bsoder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Soderstrum

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

Oh Man that looks nice!!..your paint work looks flawless..OK now that I see what can be done, I better go get this kit 8) :D ....B

#25 dukeaholic

dukeaholic

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

VERY nice build!!! I have the same one and kept it white with the blue decals. I painted the interior black. I plan to redo mine but I need a set of decals for it first. Your build is perfectly done and has the perfect stance.

#26 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:49 PM

Just one more opiion on how great that build looks. I just picked one up myself. I particularly like the fact that you re-did the wheels to the correct "non chrome".

Trans Am's sat exactly like that, you your stance is perfect.

#27 mhadman

mhadman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

Really nice job...Very cool

#28 Jason Rothgeb

Jason Rothgeb

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Wow, She's a beauty! :lol:
I'm not real familiar with the different T/A graphics, but I know I haven't seen too many models built with this particular package.
Nice trick on the decals! Did you mask off the bird, too?

These are rare bird in scale and 1:1 Steve. It took a while for the Trans Am to catch on in terms of sales. T/As only came with these graphics for three model years, 1970, 1971, and 1972. And 1970 was an abbreviated model run due to the car being introduced in March of 1970. That is why it is nice that Revell provides the white stripes for the blue cars as well. Those were the only two colors they came in in their second year of production. If only they provided the very prevalent T/A scripts for the front fenders and rear spoiler. They are very prominent on the full size car. Darn you licensing gods :evil:

Eric's post inspired me to do one as well. Eric yours looks great. Don't sweat the way the parking lights look, I think it's a convincing look and I'm going to do mine in the same way. I will post pics when I finish.

#29 Jason Rothgeb

Jason Rothgeb

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

VERY nice build!!! I have the same one and kept it white with the blue decals. I painted the interior black. I plan to redo mine but I need a set of decals for it first. Your build is perfectly done and has the perfect stance.

The one I'm doing is blue w/white stripes, you are welcome to the blue stripes I have if you want them. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll send them to you.

#30 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

very well excuted model, very clean....

this car reminds me of a very crazy guy who had a real Trans am when they lowered tha speed limits to 55. Tha guy carved a wood nose piece and covered his car with radar deadening sheet rubber....to defeat radars, crazy dude. :roll:

zeb

#31 kelson

kelson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Full Name:curtis boxill

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

nice looking build ,paint is flawless,sweet!