73 El Camino

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

Don't know about yours, Johnny, but a smashed-in tailgate was the LEAST of the problems mine had! :(

I replaced thedoors, hood, quarter panels, floors one front fender, core support, hedder panel and grill, both bumpers, interior, converted it over to a 4 speed, rebuilt the suspension and the list went on!

#22 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Looks great and like many others, I would be interested in a resin copy or two for the build pile.

#23 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Looks great and like many others, I would be interested in a resin copy or two for the build pile.

I second this statement. What is the exact color and code of the paint?, Your bodywork looks flawless. B)

#24 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hi Paul, great looking body work!!!

Randy

#25 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

So I finally located a bumper. (thank you Missing Link!) and proceeded to hack it to pieces just for the bezels lol. Then I drilled out the molded in lens and add separate pieces to it to make it more realistic. Also, the stripes are on it now, (painted on) I just need to do the SS letters of the stripe then BMF the rest of the chrome trim.
Steve, I'm not sure on the color code, the guy looked it up for me and mixed it. It seems to be the same color for 71-75 GM's though.
Paul
Posted Image

#26 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:55 AM

Looking real good. I can't wait to see more.

#27 exnyman

exnyman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Looks great! Even though I own an 86 El Camino (my first brand new car), I'd buy a resin kit of the 73. I remember a really nice Jade Green Metallic one of these running around my town when they were new, white SS striping and dark green interior. I'd make a model of that car. Hey, next step would be to do up an SS wagon! the only year they ever made one was 73. I have only seen one, back in the fall of 72 at Amity Chevrolet in Amityville, NY. It was on the lot, black with silver SS striping.

#28 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

So I finally located a bumper. (thank you Missing Link!) and proceeded to hack it to pieces just for the bezels lol. Then I drilled out the molded in lens and add separate pieces to it to make it more realistic. Also, the stripes are on it now, (painted on) I just need to do the SS letters of the stripe then BMF the rest of the chrome trim.
Steve, I'm not sure on the color code, the guy looked it up for me and mixed it. It seems to be the same color for 71-75 GM's though.
Paul
Posted Image

This looks absolutely perfect. I can't wait to see the final product. And when these are done in resin. I will be getting 2 or 3 of them, These were new cars when I was born. My aunt owned a Chevelle 4-door , Orcher with a Black top, The rear quarters were so rusted they flapped when she shut the back doors, That was when the car was 12 years old , For some reason back in 73-77 GM used cheap steel, My 73 Nova was bad also, The rear spings rusted through the floor in the hatchback. My 79 was almost as bad. I got them both in 1989 when I was 16. 1973 Is a very special year for me when it comes to cars. The paint and the stripes look perfect , I'm still drooling over this build. Now only if someone would come up with a conversion kit for a 73-74 Nova, Hint Hint.

#29 Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

Paul
Posted Image

What grille/bumper from Missing Link did you use for the headlight bezels? Got any pics of the grille and how you made it?

#30 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Marc,

The grill assembly was the 72 Chevelle that they make in resin. He was nice enough to list one up on ebay for me in unplated condition. The only thing I used from it was the headlight surround. The headlights came from the 48 Galaxy since I had that as a parts kit laying around. Still working out the grill itself and not sure how yet to do it. I've been working on it in meh head but the 2 brain cells have been combative this week lol. I take pics of how I did the lights when I do the other side.
Paul

#31 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Steve,

I've considered doing a 73/74 Nova soon also. I can start with a 69 Nova and go from there. (which I happen to have a parts kit for just that very project :lol: )
Paul

This looks absolutely perfect. I can't wait to see the final product. And when these are done in resin. I will be getting 2 or 3 of them, These were new cars when I was born. My aunt owned a Chevelle 4-door , Orcher with a Black top, The rear quarters were so rusted they flapped when she shut the back doors, That was when the car was 12 years old , For some reason back in 73-77 GM used cheap steel, My 73 Nova was bad also, The rear spings rusted through the floor in the hatchback. My 79 was almost as bad. I got them both in 1989 when I was 16. 1973 Is a very special year for me when it comes to cars. The paint and the stripes look perfect , I'm still drooling over this build. Now only if someone would come up with a conversion kit for a 73-74 Nova, Hint Hint.

#32 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Wow that looks great, Paul. I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

And whatever caster gets these- I can promise at least one more sale at some point.

Charlie Larkin

#33 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

Looks great! Even though I own an 86 El Camino (my first brand new car), I'd buy a resin kit of the 73. I remember a really nice Jade Green Metallic one of these running around my town when they were new, white SS striping and dark green interior. I'd make a model of that car. Hey, next step would be to do up an SS wagon! the only year they ever made one was 73. I have only seen one, back in the fall of 72 at Amity Chevrolet in Amityville, NY. It was on the lot, black with silver SS striping.

I agree, a '73 SS wagon would be very, very cool, and that sounds like a pretty car you saw, Jim. Black/silver and a black interior would be a very sharp family hauler indeed.

Charlie Larkin