Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build by Instructions Build

Clay

I have been on this board for almost 2 yrs, I think, and I have rarely seen anyone build by the instructions. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a build where you have to follow all instructions, with a few exceptions, well maybe one exception, colors. If you don't have the color, like say the engine calls for Ford engine Blue, you can use just blue, so on, and so forth. If anyone is interested let me know. I don't plan on starting until I make my move around the 1st of Feb. Reply here or send me a PM if interested.

Entry List:

Clay-???

Knucklehead- 57 Corvette Gasser

Corvette.Jeff- ?????

diymirage- 1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Jason Vandergriff- NASCAR

Edited by Clay

That amplifies what makes building cars so much better than armor and planes ... virtually every car CAN be built different AND still be realistic! I do look at colors on the instructions and they become important when checking how they designed the kit to go together. I've never built anything that I didn't go through the instructions 50 times.

Instructions? What are these instructions things you speak of? :unsure:;);)

Of course I'm just kidding, and this sounds interesting. I'm in! I should have most of my other CBPs off the bench by February. Do you have an end date in mind yet?

I do have one question, you said one exception would be colors like the example you gave of not having Ford Engine Blue, just plain blue would be fine. Now does this mean that we have to use the paint callouts in the instructions, just if we don't have a particular color, it still has to be something close, just as long as it is painted near the color the instructions say? I guess what I'm really trying to say is just like some of Revell's kits where the instructions call for the body to be painted purple, the body has to be some shade of purple, right?

Baiscally, the plan is to go by the instructions for the paint. The thing is, however, if I make it to where you paint the body whatever color you want then, that could change the whole color scheme of the interior. So what I think should happen is as long as you have a color that closely matches what the instructions call for, then use it.

Baiscally, the plan is to go by the instructions for the paint. The thing is, however, if I make it to where you paint the body whatever color you want then, that could change the whole color scheme of the interior. So what I think should happen is as long as you have a color that closely matches what the instructions call for, then use it.

Thanks, Clay.

I would like to add, that this a box stock build. You may add small details such as plug wires and other things. No body modification ( I know some are you are hurting just reading this) You may, however, modify what parts that come with the kit. Example: trimming the suspension to lower it. Basically, your build should look like the box art.

I would like to add, that this a box stock build. You may add small details such as plug wires and other things. No body modification ( I know some are you are hurting just reading this) You may, however, modify what parts that come with the kit. Example: trimming the suspension to lower it. Basically, your build should look like the box art.

maybe that should be the ultimate goal in this challenge

because a lot of kits come with extra parts and this would even dictate which hood and rims to use B)

i just might be interested in entering

well here is my entry :

1968 dodge charger R/T (bronze metallic) with a 440 magnum

i will be building this from the revell special edition kit that i just bought at meijers for 11.99

i hate them for no longer carrying the models as a main item but i love it how they bring them back every Christmass

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a good choice Ronnie, once I move we will get this ball rolling.

Clay,

I am just getting back into building again. My last build was 1967. So needless to say there is a lot of new technologies out there and I am having a ball relearning alot. Can a noobie get into your CBP? I think this would be a good learning process for me. If so; I am in.

Sure thing Larry, but remember this will not officially start until after I move and get everything settled in. I am so wary about moving my models. That may take a little while to get everything back to normal. However, if you want to start now, then by all means.

Clay.

After a little research and just recieving a couple of gasser kits in the mail, I have decided to change my build to the AMT 1957 Chev Corvette Gasser. This gasser kit gives some options and I figure why the heck waist a beautiful car like the Merc on box art. That's not a bad thing. It's just that I had big plans for the Merc.

Have a great eve