Building Monogram's Street and Revell's Racing Version of Shelby Cobra.

• You cannot reply to this topic
108 replies to this topic

#61 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

It continues... I took the engine apart. Now I'm stripping the old paint off from it. The racing 427 is also blue, isn't it? When the old paint is off, I lay one primer coat to that engine, then I can paint it. Some of the smaller engine parts, like cylinder heads may be stripped also, but I'm not sure about it yet. I think, the engine is ready for primering pretty soon...

Posted Image

#62 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

The racing 427 is also blue, isn't it?

No, the block and heads were black.

#63 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

No, the block and heads were black.

Alright, thanks for that note, I'll paint it black then, so it is more realistic, than it would be in blue. :)

#64 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

Just took the engine away from the paint stripping. It's quite white now, but there are some red spots, and also some of those black spots. If I remember correctly, this engine was an test piece, where I tested using red on black primer. But now, I give a light sanding to it, then primer coat, which shows all of the mistakes. Then I'll fix them and new primer coat, maybe. Then the black paint. Or maybe I do it other way, so there comes less primer under the base coat. I didn't strip the paint off from the transmission, because it hasn't too thick paintcoat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

Got the engine primered. It's now quite good and there are no big mistakes. I will paint it soon, maybe tomorrow. Then I must strip the paint off from some smaller parts too, before they are ready for assembling, because there is quite much paint in some places...

Posted Image

#66 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

Engine block is painted matt black right now. I painted the heads also. Needs to remove old paint, and some chrome from those other parts from the engine, I'm right now going to buy new bottle of MR Muscle. I painted the frame gloss black, but before painting, it needed very much sanding and cleaning. But now it looks ok to me. I'm moving to the interior, needs to put some flocking.

Reference pictures from the chassis would be very appreciated, I have good pics from interior, engine and stuff like that, but I'd like to have few chassis pics. Thanks to Cato for some pics, but of course I'd like to see more of them, if you guys have pictures of Cobra chassis. And Cato, can you fix those pictures, so they can be seen again. I copied them to my computer, but I don't have them anymore when my reference-folder got bit of damage.... I'd like to copy them again. ;) If it's not too big thing.

I removed those Revell-Monogram- markings from the chassis plate...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

Well, I tried that interior flocking... First I masked that place, where shifter comes, and then I started spraying some matt black, straight from spray can. Well, here's the result. I'm happy, I bought some MR Muscle to remove paint, this is going right now there, maybe tomorrow I can paint it again, if everything goes alright.

Posted Image

:angry:

#68 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

Interior is now in MR Muscle. I got the chrome plating stripped off from the wheels and intake manifold and that part which goes around the carburetor. Carburetor isn't ready yet, but I hope it will be without paint and chrome plating soon. Thanks for looking, comments are welcome.

Posted Image

#69 stulee11

stulee11

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:stuart lee

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:53 AM

what was the name of the blue you used to paint the car as i realliy like it and would like to get some for a future build of mine ???

#70 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

what was the name of the blue you used to paint the car as i realliy like it and would like to get some for a future build of mine ???

You mean that Street Cobra? It's bought from local auto parts dealer (Biltema). Biltema has Hobby paints, and that is Hobby paint and then they have "car colors". They are That store has everything you don't need... But those paints are pretty good. Well, some of them. That blue metallic paint is good quality, and red and gold are good ones too. I have tried some others too, but they were really bad. Most of the people are saying, those paints are bad, and I'll say that Metallic Blue, Gloss red and gold HOBBY PAINTS are good quality, but other ones, I've tried are really bad. It's good to spray clear on those parts, Cobra has no clear, but it's not bad idea... If you use clear, use Biltema's clear for hobby paints!!! Otherwise paintjob will go wrong, I think. You must be VERY careful with those paints, but it's possible to paint good paintjob.

Maybe there's no Biltema in USA.. :lol: But many other paint makes are close to that color, I believe. They might be better quality too. Maston has Metallic blue, and that's quite good, I think. It's bit lighter blue.

Oh yes, I can post a picture of that spray can, if I find it anymore...

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by W-409, 17 October 2011 - 06:43 AM.

#71 stulee11

stulee11

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:stuart lee

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

yeah that did m8 thanks and can't wait to see more of these

#72 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Niko,
I'm sorry but I've forgotten which ones I gave you. Just make a list of what you'd like to see and I'll put them together for you. BTW, the wheels you have are replica Trigo wheels. Original Halibrands have the stems in the face, not between the spokes. See mine:
Posted Image

#73 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Well, actually only pics, I need right now are from the chassis. You posted also one picture from the batteries behind the seat so I'd like to see that one too. I think, I can get going with them. And those wheels are close enough, I think... Modification on them would be too difficult for me.... ;)

#74 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

Looking good. I like the way this kit builds up.

#75 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Sorry Niko-Having trouble uploading-will try multiple posts:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#76 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

Have tried more posts but won't work. Have reported problem.

#77 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, Doctor and Cato! Sorry to hear that you have problems, hope you can get them solved. :rolleyes: But those pictures help very much already. All of the Cobras didn't have that Fluidyne logo on the radiator?

#78 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

All of the Cobras didn't have that Fluidyne logo on the radiator?

No, that is used on the newest Shelby CSX's. Originals were made by Serck but these are the same configuration.

#79 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Trying again Niko:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More coming.

#80 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

OK a few more to get you going. All of these are the chassis of an over-restored car from the rear looking forward. Everything on original 60's cars was black:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have questions, I will explain what you're looking at.