#1 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Does anyone remember this short-lived magazine? It was put out by AMT/Ertl back in the 90's to showcase their kits as well as offer some modeling tips and tricks. I was subscribed to it, though I can't remember if it was when they first started. I do know they only put out a handful of issues, I had at least a dozen of them. I'm pretty sure I still have them packed away somewhere, and if I happen to find them, I might scan them all and put them on the site here for a bit of nostalgia. (I sure hope I still have them, I want to look at them again! :( )

Any other short-lived model mags that people bought?

#2 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

The Blueprinter was around for several years from what I remember, I have a few issues but I was never a subscriber. I also remember a magazine called "In Scale" I have the premeire issue......I think there was only one other issue, too bad the one I have was good. Then there was Car Modeler, SAE's other title, it lasted for several years as a bi-monthly then a few more as an annual. I liked it better than SA. I also remember Model Car Journal, have a few issues, and Plastic Fanatic, which morphed into........Model Cars.

Edited by slantasaurus, 13 November 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

It sort of sucks that there are so few model car magazines nowadays. It's amazing how popular model railroading still is in that they have at least a half-dozen magazines to choose from.

#4 Gregg

Gregg

da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,430 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

The Blueprinter was around for several years from what I remember, I have a few issues but I was never a subscriber. I also remember a magazine called "In Scale" I have the premeire issue......I think there was only one other issue, too bad the one I have was good. Then there was Car Modeler, SAE's other title, it lasted for several years as a bi-monthly then a few more as an annual. I liked it better than SA. I also remember Model Car Journal, have a few issues, and Plastic Fanatic, which morphed into........Model Cars.

Sorry, correction, I still own Plastic Fanatic.
Just a simple oversight.

#5 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Just a simple oversight.

You're just not as much of a fanatic as you were, right? :P

#6 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Greg, question in the old Plastic fanatic there was someone who was doing a service station, a typical two bay. I have all of the issues that I know of and somehow , the station was never finished . Do you know if the article was ever done to a finish ? Ed Shaver

#7 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Just a simple oversight.

So does that mean that there will be new issues ???

#8 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Started back in August 1973, as Volume 1 issue 1: (2 pages folder), when ERTL got out the "NEW" IH Transtar 4070A & 4270 kits & later farm Tractor & equipment kits. Promoting the new kits, Q&A on getting the kits, building, detailing &... polishing colored plastic parts!!!... Fred ERTL comments & "NEW" kits on the way. will jump to 6-7 pages the following years with excellent article on "how to" modify IH truck kits. Pix of truck/tractor modelers,

As the 70's will go on, the issues will grow, bi-monthly: (6 issues a year), get better in the mid late 80's with ERTL acquisition of AMT kits in '83 & MPC in late 80's. IMO the best issues will be the ones from the late 80's to late 90's. ...Just before the Racing Champions "debacle" of the late 90's.

Nice little mag, with great articles on "how to", "60's-70's history on specific AMT/MPC kits, & modelcar contests, especially from 1988 to 1998.

...(Got very first issue when buying a 4070A mint kit at model contest back in 1989).

Any plans for Round2 to bring back to life this mag :P :lol: ;)

#9 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ah so it was a long running mag, did not know that! I couldn't find any info on it.

#10 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

Does anyone remember this short-lived magazine? It was put out by AMT/Ertl back in the 90's to showcase their kits as well as offer some modeling tips and tricks. I was subscribed to it, though I can't remember if it was when they first started. I do know they only put out a handful of issues, I had at least a dozen of them. I'm pretty sure I still have them packed away somewhere, and if I happen to find them, I might scan them all and put them on the site here for a bit of nostalgia. (I sure hope I still have them, I want to look at them again! B) )

Any other short-lived model mags that people bought?

If any of you have my book "Collecting Model Car and Truck Kits" (Motorbooks, 2001, still available from Motorbooks.com and Amazon.com), check out pages 78 and 79 where I did a sidebar on this very topic. Magazines covered were Car Model, Model Car Science, Rod and Custom Models, Auto Miniature Illustrated, Model Car Journal, Journal of the MCCA, Scale Wheels, One-off publications like "AMT Model Car Handbook", Journal of the IAAM, Auto World Quarterly, Plastic Fanatic, and the Auto World Catalog.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 14 November 2010 - 02:19 AM.