#1 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image

About 10 years ago, MRC released this garage kit. The details are real nice but the building it's self is way too small to be realistic.

So that was why I build the original Jackson's Garage which eventually turned into The Can Am Garage.

Well, it's time to get back to basics and Jackson's Texaco is going to be it. It's being built to serve two purposes - One as a photo backdrop for exterior shots and Two - As a proper diorama that I can take to model shows/contests.

Posted Image

Original sketch for the exterior photo backdrop concept.

Posted Image

This is the general layout for the finished diorama.

Posted Image

This gave me some general dimensions to work with when I started drawing up the actual building plans.

Posted Image

First rough one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These two show the final building plan.

Posted Image

I was talked into making the final plans full size. Yeah, it was a pain to do but it'll make construction of the building much easier.

Posted Image

The 'Vette is in one bay and the lift's in the other.

Posted Image

Jack's on the curb outside while Jackson is checking out his office.

It looks as though my dimensions are right on. Cool.

My plan is work on this off and on over the next year with the general plan to have it finished and on display at NNL East (Parsippany, NJ) in March of '08.

#2 455 Rocket

455 Rocket

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

John, I also bought this kit when it came out and have been buying parts and tools for it ever since. One of these days, I'll get caught up on enough of my models and get to it. I had the same idea of adding extra bays, but I think I'll do 3 so I can get all my "stuff" in there. I look forward to seeing your progress.

#3 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:15 AM

Look's like your off in the right direction John with this.I take it your going to add on to the outside walls to get the right dimension you need.Also are you going to do a lot of scratch building,such as work benches,cabinets,countertop.If not ,you may want to look into purchasing stuff like that from ScaleModelingByChris he makes the best resin acc.to add to garages and gas stations,top notch stuff at a reasonable price.Check out his web site and take a look around at the dioramas he has done for customers.Awesome work he does.Good luck with the project and look forward to seeing updates on how it's coming along.

You take it right George. I've got a whole mess of stuff from SEL Ltd. and I can foresee getting some stuff from Chris.

#4 soonerolds

soonerolds

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:50 AM

Looks like a great start. Here's what i did witht he same kit. It's Murph's Texaco. Murphy S. Law, Proprietor. Where anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I didn't do very well on my walls. Looking forward to seeing yours.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

After a consulting session, it was decided that 5 foot should be added to the depth of the bays and 2 foot should be added to the outside bay.

So. That means it's roughly 57' (in scale) wide. 30' (in scale) deep at the work bays. Or 28" wide and 15" deep.

#6 mhadman

mhadman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

John,your not really going to make the ladies walk outside and around the building to go potty are you??lol

#7 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

John,your not really going to make the ladies walk outside and around the building to go potty are you??lol

That's how it was at Cottrel's Gulf and that station is part of my inspiration for Jackson's Texaco.

#8 Barbo

Barbo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hi...Mr Can AM Garage....I can see you do drawings before starting the diorama , I do the same , this eliminates most of the erros and helps plan detail locations,accesories and a list of materials . The use of the architectural scale or scale grid paper like you are, helps visualize the diorama before construction. I also have the Texaco MRC model , but I have made some changes to do a Tire Center, I have been slow with this diorama, because I am doing two more at the same time, This has always been my problem...........Barbo. http://s123.photobuc...85/100_0832.jpg http://s123.photobuc...85/100_0837.jpg http://s123.photobuc...85/100_0842.jpg

#9 SpreadAxle

SpreadAxle

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Full Name:Ray DeJesus

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

this is gonna be cool