imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hey all,

What can you guys tell me about this kit..
59FordSkylinerpic.jpg

I've always thought the retractable hardtop was the coolest thing, and I was thinking about picking it up..

New kit or repop?

Cheers, Ian

#2 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

It's a reissue and can be quite a challenge to build, due to the multi-piece body. I bought one used and the body sides were too warped to save...

Apart from that, it has decent detail for an old kit.

#3 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

The '59 Retractable reissue is stock-only this time (it did include some custom parts in past issues), and is molded a bit better than older versions. The decals are very nice, too, except it still has the cheesy "Miami Vice" graphics. It's a pretty good kit- IF you take the care to get it together and working!

#4 GHoneycutt

GHoneycutt

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

This is the original kit by Ed Shaver.

Posted ImageHosted on Fotki

Posted ImageHosted on Fotki

#5 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

Nice build.

Looks like I might have to pick this one up :lol:

#6 Fisher61

Fisher61

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Full Name:William

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

I just purchased this kit last week . I have not opened it yet, but I built one when it was reissued back in the mid 70's, when I was about 14 yrs old . it has a multi piece body but builds up real well. The retractable top worked real well for me even though I wasn't near the modeler I am now. The main thing is to make sure the body stays square during assembly, and everything should fit well. You can make it look as nice as Ed's model. In fact, I'm going to get another one for my stash, if I find a kit I like I usually keep two or three on hand!

#7 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

It's a neat kit. I remember as a teenager getting the 'Skip's Fiesta Drive-in' reissue (late '80s) and wondering where the body was when I opened it...first Revell multi-piece body kit I'd encountered. With time, effort and care, it can build up quite nicely.

#8 006

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:Avery

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

I just bought one. There are indications on the box art and insturctions that suggest this is actually a Fairlane... Is this possible?

Also, has anyone opened up the new release? Any issues with assembly? Those multi-piece bodies from very old molds make me a little nervous.

#9 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,393 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

I also built the "Skip's Fiesta" reissued version. No problems, the multi-part body is no big deal... don't let the naysayers scare you! It can be built just as easily as any otther kit, but you need to be careful to get the body panels lined up correctly and make sure your angles are correct. And the top mechanism is a bit delicate... I actually scrapped the kit parts and made new hinges out of paper clip wire. But that's not necessary, I just decided to do that. The kit parts work just fine, they're just fragile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 006

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:Avery

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Very nice build Harry. I have begun fantacizing about converting the kit into a standard hardtop; I can see the trunk alone will be a project. I haven't begun to research the other differences such as the roof. Anyone do it? Too much work? Thoughts?

#11 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Very nice build Harry. I have begun fantacizing about converting the kit into a standard hardtop; I can see the trunk alone will be a project. I haven't begun to research the other differences such as the roof. Anyone do it? Too much work? Thoughts?

Beside the difference in the roof and trunk design, the rear quarters are longer.

I hunted down builtup AMT '59 Galaxies so I have a regular HT and convertible. One thing I've thought about doing w/ an extra Skyliner is making a phantom Starliner--mate the '60 Starliner roof to the '59 body and windshield.

#12 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

A major project. Like Rob says, the trunk is much longer and the roof is shorter on the Skyliner (in order for the top to have room when it's stored). It would be a real challenge... but if you think you have the skills to pull it off, give it a shot! You have nothing to lose except a little plastic... :D

#13 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

I just bought one. There are indications on the box art and insturctions that suggest this is actually a Fairlane... Is this possible?

"Galaxie" was the new Ford top-of-the-line model introduced early in the "59 model year, replacing "Fairlane 500". For a few months, the first '59 Skyliners were still badged as "Fairlane 500" but Ford switched to the "Galazie" name early on in the production run. Some of the cars had both "Galaxie" and "Fairlane 500" markings before the switchover was completed.

BTW: I don't know about the original issue or the new reissue, but the "Skip's Fiesta" version comes with two figures, a seated male driver and a female passenger.

#14 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

This is a great old kit! It can be a challenging build; as I recall one needs to re-think the build sequence shown on the instructions to adapt to spraying the assembled body prior to final assembly.

Surprisingly, it has a high level of interchangeability with the original AMT annual kit, PMC promo wagons and Rancheros, and their resin derivatives, and it's worth having several on hand as parts kits if you plan on building several '59 Fords!

#15 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

For as complex as it is it really wasn't that tough to build as long as you took your time and followed directions!
Mine built into a really nice model and when I used to have it out on display every week I would switch from top up to top down! I did mine in Coral and Black!
I'll post a picture if I can figure out what box it is packed in!:lol:

#16 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Not only are the quarters longer, but the trunk itself is a bit taller and boxier than on a Standard Ford. You could probably do a decent 'lookalike' of a Galaxie with this kit, but it would never be a 100% accurate representation.

#17 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

"Galaxie" was the new Ford top-of-the-line model introduced early in the "59 model year, replacing "Fairlane 500". For a few months, the first '59 Skyliners were still badged as "Fairlane 500" but Ford switched to the "Galazie" name early on in the production run. Some of the cars had both "Galaxie" and "Fairlane 500" markings before the switchover was completed.

BTW: I don't know about the original issue or the new reissue, but the "Skip's Fiesta" version comes with two figures, a seated male driver and a female passenger.

The RoG issue from a few years ago also has the figures..it's molded in a bright green. I have the '70s issue also, don't recall what color it's in (haven't built it). I read somewhere the new issue is molded in white. Anyone know when the original issue was issued?

#18 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

The RoG issue from a few years ago also has the figures..it's molded in a bright green. I have the '70s issue also, don't recall what color it's in (haven't built it). I read somewhere the new issue is molded in white. Anyone know when the original issue was issued?

The Skip's Fiesta issue was molded in red. Just a guess here, but I assume the original issue came out about the same time as the real car.

#19 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

The Skip's Fiesta issue was molded in red. Just a guess here, but I assume the original issue came out about the same time as the real car.

The Skip's Fiesta issue I built was kind of a salmon/terra cotta pinkish red. Left in that color, did it two tone w/ white roof and decklid and matching two-tone interior..turned out pretty nice.

#20 Guest_Markus355_*

Guest_Markus355_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

Is this a stock only kit? i know its not advertised as a 2 or 3 in 1 but does it include any custom parts like grilles or bumpers like most of the other old reissues?