81 replies to this topic

#21 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

Not only are the quarters longer, but the trunk itself is a bit taller and boxier than on a Standard Ford. You could probably do a decent 'lookalike' of a Galaxie with this kit, but it would never be a 100% accurate representation.

True for '57-'58 Skyliner retractable convertibles. I'm pretty sure that the quarters of the '59 retractables are the same as all other '59 Fords. In the interests of cost-cutting '59 Fords across all model lines were on the same wheelbase, including the Skyliner retractable, and share much more sheet metal than comparable '57s and '58s.

While the Galaxie hardtops and sedans have a unique T-bird-style roof, they share their other sheet metal with the other '59s. Both the Fairlane and Fairlane 500 models were retained after the introduction of the Galaxie. Fairlane 500s look very similar to Galaxies except for their roof with wrap-around rear window, and slightly downgraded interior trim with a unique pattern. Adding to the confusion, all Galaxies carry Fairlane 500 badging on their decklids, technically making them Fairlane 500 Galaxies!

Revell's kit depicts a pre-Galaxie Fairlane 500 Skyliner. A later Galaxie Skyliner would be virtually identical except for "Galaxie" script on the quarters in place of "Fairlane 500."

Edited by John Goschke, 23 December 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#22 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Here's an old Skips Fiesta issue I built about 20 years ago, as a test subject before I built my 57 Conversion. It's painted with some Krylon Coral color, but the salman colored plastic is visible in the interior.

Posted Image

The wheels & tires were robbed from the 1970's issue. The original 1959 issue had plastic tires. The Skips issue used Monogram whitewalls with Fiesta spinner caps that were a wee out of scale. I think the new kit combines the stock wheel covers with the Monogram tires. If this thing looks pretty rough, it's because my pshycotic ex girlfriend smashed it about 15 years ago. And it was in my famous orange paint explosion....

Posted Image

Here's a little tidbit that will improve the looks of this kit, and also the Monogram 58 T Bird... get rid of the pinned headlight lenses, drill the holes out, a put reflectors behind the lenses. I made mine from the baby moon hubcaps in the AMT 56 Ford. I had to sand one side flat so they butted together tighter, and fit inside the fenders. That is one visible laying in front of the bumper...

Posted Image

Anyway, last year, when I was laid off for a while, I started redoing a bunch of my old builds, but I left them in their original paint for posterity... And out of general laziness and not wanting paint fumes in the house...

Posted Image

BTW, to answer a question, these were always one version kits. The optional parts were the figures.

Posted Image

So there's my take. A little worse for wear and tear, but back in one piece....

Edited by Dave Darby, 23 December 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#23 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

I built one of these too years ago (sorry no pics), and like others have mentioned.........it can be built well using some patience and time.

I thought I had read somewhere that Ford styled its '59 line to accommodate specifically the Skyliner. Just as John mentioned, this was more than likely a cost cutting move as what was done at Chrysler with its '57's and what GM started to do with its '59 offerings.

Interesting that Ford only hung on to this body style for one model year just like GM did with its '58's........no doubt trying to catch up with Chrysler as the entire Ford line for '60 were totally different cars!

Edited by MrObsessive, 23 December 2010 - 11:33 AM.

#24 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

I thought I had read somewhere that Ford styled its '59 line to accommodate specifically the Skyliner. Just as John mentioned, this was more than likely a cost cutting move as what was done at Chrysler with it's '57's and what GM started to do with its '59 offerings.

Interesting that Ford only hung on to this body style for one model year just like GM did with its '58's........no doubt trying to catch up with Chrysler as the entire Ford line for '60 were totally different cars!

Right, Bill. Getting a little off-topic from the kit in question, but it's interesting to note that the increased standardization across the Ford line for '59 (and reduced model offerings in the Mercury line for '59-'60) was part of a program lead at FoMoCo by future defense secretary, and corporate bean-counter extraordinaire, Robert McNamara to increase engineering and tooling sharing across the divisions and eliminate duplication. Another result of this cost-cutting was the elimination of the Edsel and the '61 Mercuries once again being "glorified Fords," rather than unique products as in '57 thru'60. While the '60 Fords were radically restyled, if you look at the chassis in comparison with the '57-'59 Fairlane and Galaxie, you'll see considerable similarity.

#25 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:44 AM

John,

It may be a little off topic, but its still interesting stuff.

In hindsight, we can see how the corprorate minds were thinking about standardization, what works and what didn't(i.e. Edsels), etc..etc..

All in all, I'm still going to add the kit to my stash :huh:

Cheers, Ian

#26 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Right, Bill. Getting a little off-topic from the kit in question, but it's interesting to note that the increased standardization across the Ford line for '59 (and reduced model offerings in the Mercury line for '59-'60) was part of a program lead at FoMoCo by future defense secretary, and corporate bean-counter extraordinaire, Robert McNamara to increase engineering and tooling sharing across the divisions and eliminate duplication. Another result of this cost-cutting was the elimination of the Edsel and the '61 Mercuries once again being "glorified Fords," rather than unique products as in '57 thru'60. While the '60 Fords were radically restyled, if you look at the chassis in comparison with the '57-'59 Fairlane and Galaxie, you'll see considerable similarity.

And they ran that chassis right up through 1964.

#27 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Very nice build Harry. I have begun fantacizing about converting the kit into a standard hardtop; I can see the trunk alone will be a project. I haven't begun to research the other differences such as the roof. Anyone do it? Too much work? Thoughts?

I just got the kit today and will be replicating my mates galaxie he had imported to australia. Getting a start on it today and will be converting to a hard top. He has a subwoofer in the trunk too so this will be fun to source!

#28 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Years ago, SAE ran a Sketchpad illustration featuring an old Craftsman series AMT '59 Edsel kitbashed with the Revell Retractable. I'm thinking of trying it with the newer tool '58 kit.

John- never realized the '59's had more standardized sheetmetal than the previous two years models. Since the retractable was such a low production car, I wonder why they even bothered continuing it into '59. Perhaps to pay off the engineering costs? I remember reading it was originally designed for Lincoln, but it would have made the Lincoln so expensive, the execs at FoMoCo figured putting the feature on the less-expensive Ford made more sense.

#29 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

I was just cruising the forums at the Antique Automobile Club of America site, and came across an interesting piece of information.

According to the owner of one of only two factory-produced Continental Mark II convertibles, the retractable hardtop was originally meant for the Mark II, but that brand was shut down before it could be produced, so they transferred it to Ford for use on the Fairlane/Galaxie.

http://www.thetrutha...ess-eisenhardt/

Edited by sjordan2, 04 July 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#30 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

Mark, even in the old 1980's issue or Skips Fiesta , the custom options were some skirts and baby Moons and some cheesy decals . That issue was molded in a Peach color or Salmon. In fact , I can't even recall how long it's been since Revell had the few Custom options that that kit had . I know back in 1960, it had a battery operated motor that was avalible . Hey, customizing the 59 is really easily done . You can always raid an A M T 57 Ford Fairlane for some ideas . Ed Shaver

#31 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

I was just cruising the forums at the Antique Automobile Club of America site, and came across an interesting piece of information.

According to the owner of one of only two factory-produced Continental Mark II convertibles, the retractable hardtop was originally meant for the Mark II, but that brand was shut down before it could be produced, so they transferred it to Ford for use on the Fairlane/Galaxie.

http://www.thetrutha...ess-eisenhardt/

Yep, like I said in my last post! :P :)

#32 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Yep, like I said in my last post! :P :)

Guess I missed the reference. But I thought the Mark II link was interesting reading.

Edited by sjordan2, 04 July 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#33 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

Guess I missed the reference. But I thought the Mark II link was interesting reading.

Interesting indeed! And seriously glad you posted the link- quite a bit more information beyond the 'got scrubbed for Lincoln' part. :D

#34 Harold

Harold

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Palmer

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

"Cept its not a Galaxie. Its an early '59 run of the Fairlane 500. The Galaxie usurped the Skyliner when it was introduced, and there was a Galaxie badge on the stern.

#35 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Beautiful builds, Ed and Harry. Nice models indeed.

#36 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

If they could build this kit that long ago with the folding top, why can't we get the top to fold on the SSR truck, or any of the Mercedes kits in a modern kit? :huh:

#37 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:16 AM

You guys all make it sound so easy. After I built that ruddy thing, I needed six weeks of post-revell-multi-piece-retractable-hardtop-trauma therapy. This thing is worse than IKEA on a Saturday.

#38 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

I Like that Old Skyliner.
And Yes, as stated, Revell with the Skip's issue has incorrexctly called this a Galaxie
even though the Fairlane 500 script is Still present on the rear quarter panels.
The reason Ford Left the Fairlane 500 on the deck of the Galaixe is the first 0 in 500 was the Key slot for the trunk lid.
I know, I almost Bought a Galaxie 4dr sedan!
I have Several of these, including 2 Original's, 4 of the Yellow 74/5 issue, ?? of the Pink/Coral
(Revell actually states it is Molded in Coral on the box) Skip's issue & one of the RoG issue in a similar green to the
Originals. I do want a few of the New SSP issues in White..
And Yes, The parts Do fit the PMC Toy issue Ranchero & Country Sedan.

Here is a Skip's Skyliner converted into a 2dr Sedan. It will have Era correct Baltimore Police Decals
Posted Image
Yes I will change the script to Custom!

Here is the First one I bought in 74/5. I am in the middle of restoring it.
Posted Image

I bought this one built. I did repaint the white, and added the narrow white-stripes to the US Royal Master tires.
Posted Image
I also added working steering

Here is the First Skips issue I bought. I am going ALL out on this one. Continental spare carrier
(Scratch build based on AMT Original), Opening doors, etc!!
This one will be painted as close as possible to Sunset Coral!
Posted Image

Here is a good shot of most of my 1959 Ford lot!!
Posted Image
The 2tone Pink & White Wagon in the Bottom Left is a Deluxe Promo. Interior, windows,
Even Hubcaps in the tires Just some minor warping
The turquious one is a Toy issue. Styrene No warping!!

Can anyone guess what the 4dr Sedan Police car is?? (Where From)
Think Fictitious ie, TV/Movie

Check out the rest here;
http://s145.photobuc...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Do you think I Like that 59 Skyliner kit!??!

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 31 October 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#39 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

EdselDan, I'd love to see that 2dr Sedan when it's done. One of the cars I learned to drive in was a 59 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan, and I've considered that conversion.

#40 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

What a beautiful gathering!