#1 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Does anyone make a resin body of Johan's 71 or 72 Javelin AMX? I recently got one of Johan's unbuilt Javelin AMX pro stock kits. I actually have two of them. Both with the yellow box art car with the 72 rearend. One kit has the 72 rear bumper and taillights but the body is 73/74 and was molded in orange. The other box has a complete 73/74 kit with the 73/74 style taillights and rear bumper. That one was also molded in red. So if someone casts the correct body with the T style roof and correct rear. I would like to buy it and make a 72.

#2 KingSix

KingSix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Barrett

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Isn't there somebody on this board that casts a 71 and up Javelin ? I was told there was someone who did .. was I mis-informed ?

#3 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

A '69 is all I've heard of: http://www.modelcars...0766&hl=javelin

#4 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I never found anyone casting the 71/72 body. Or anyone casting the more common 73/74 Javelin kit. I bought most of my 73/74s off eBay and paid around $40 each. Less than a resin kit. I did eventually score two 71/72 bodies and got the chrome from Modelhaus. I did cast a few kits and parts for the 68 and 69 Javelin. I cast them because I only had enough parts to make one and I wanted to build all three years 68-70. Those kits on eBay sell for over $100 normally and rarely come up for sale. The parts I cast are all sold out and I don't plan to cast any more, sorry.

#5 KingSix

KingSix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Barrett

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, there is a built up Jo-Han on evilbay right now.. trying to find out how complete it is .. description is pretty vague 

#6 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

The JoHans Javelin AMX kits '71-'74 kits were the flat roofed '72 and newer bodies . On the 1:1's the
'71 Javelin AMX's had the T Roof . It was an option . This is what my research has shown so far . My sources are : Collectable Automobile , Automotive Quartely , and Dealer's brochures I no longer have . The Javelins were all flat roofed . As always I found an exception to this . The Seville Javelin AMX re-pops of all 4 years were trickey to decipher . The box numbers were a code . The '71 kit has the T Roof . The 1:1 Javelin AMX's in the day ('71 only IIRC) had a contrasting color or Vinyl Roof in the insert of the T section . If anyone else can add any thing to this , I'll be gald to see it . I am still trying to get right ther details for the '71 - '72 - '73/'74 Grilles . The front Valance I've done by eliminating the Chin Spoiler , The front turn/ parking/marker lights for the '71 - '72 are on the planned , not executed pile . The Blank outs for the '73/74 are a problem to be solved . As is the non-ram air hood for all four years . The rear taillight panel for a '73/'74 Javelin is not sorted out as I cannot figure the process to make the center target . The trunk lid requires a lock in it the Spoiler covers and has through it . The kit lid is smooth . The '71 & '72 Taillight panels & lenses I have . Also , the problem of getting a caster to pop these is insurmountable . I also cannot get a straight answer for whick Putty to use not to stick to the mold from the Master I'm making . The suggetion so far say Tamayia . I don not support non US Hobby Materials / Tools / Paints Suppliers . Something hard not to do I know . I've failed at this too . I choose not to do so on this subject . "Give me Squardron or give me death !" Is this quite right an quote ? Thanx ..

#7 JS23U

JS23U

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Full Name:Jens Kriete

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

From what I know:

JoHan 71 and 72 kits (and promos) had the T roof, which is correct for both years and would be correct for Javelins (non AMX) as well. The roof of AMX and Javelin is always the same in a given year.

JoHan 73 and 74 kits (no more promos) had a flat roof, which again is correct.

The JoHan kits molded in color are kits that came on the market after the annual run. I don't know the exact date but I would guess in the eighties. Most of them are the ones with the 73/74 taillights and colored taillight bezel. Early reissues had the 73/74 body but the 72 rear bumper/grille which leaves a gap around the rear grille as the 73/74 bezel is bigger than the 72 egg-crate grille, like Raoul wrote.

The 71/72 cars didn't always have a vinyl or contrasting color top. I'd say this was an option, but not sure.

Except for grille, taillight and the T-roof body the JoHan kit stayed more or less the same over the years. 71 had a different steering wheel. Starting with the 73 the model got small bumper guards. The 71 and 72 promos had the wheels like the Rebel Machine, I don't know about the 71 AMX, but at least all 72-74 AMX glue kits had Magnum style wheels. Maybe the 71, too.

Edited by JS23U, 14 October 2013 - 03:04 AM.