Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 64 Corvair is Finished.

ViperDave

Nice finish Dave! That's a sharp exterior/interior combo!

Unlike most Corvairs I can remember as a kid............The back exhaust grille of yours is nice and clean! :lol:

A question, who made this model back in'64?

AMT made this kit as a Craftsman Series in '64. I have a builtup that looked all forlorn at the Toledo show in '02 for only 20 bucks. It's calling me to restore it...........:mrgreen:

Nice finish Dave! That's a sharp exterior/interior combo!

Unlike most Corvairs I can remember as a kid............The back exhaust grille of yours is nice and clean! :lol:

AMT made this kit as a Craftsman Series in '64. I have a builtup that looked all forlorn at the Toledo show in '02 for only 20 bucks. It's calling me to restore it...........:mrgreen:

IL checked the slelf this morning and it was already leaking oil. I will have to keep the screens clean.

Has it thrown the fan belt or blown off any plug wires yet? :lol:

Nice work. I'm a longtime fan of Corvairs. Would be fun to see it beside the candy jade green custom Corvair named "Shamrock" that Dave Shuklis built back when they were new. I did the exterior restoration (fresh paint, period chrome, overall freshening) and Pat Covert did the rest on Dave's Shamrock. This green Corsa gave me fond memories of working on that model 8), and I think seeing such a fine stock example next to Dave's would be pretty cool.

Little known factoid about Corvairs:

Did you folks know that the '61 Pontiac Tempest, Buick Skylark, and the Olds F-85 shared the basic floorpan with the Corvair? :shock:

When the Corvair debuted for '60, the other divisions were a little jealous that they had no "compact" to call their own. They lobbied the brass at GM to have a small car in their lineups, so it was decided to use the basic floorpan off the Corvair and each division would have it's own.

That's part of the reason the '61-'63 Tempests had their rear transaxles..............it was said to be a variation of the Corvair transaxle, which had the swing arm rear axles at the time. Chevrolet fought hard to have the novelty of a rear engine car.............which is why the rest were conventional front engine cars.

The Tempests didn't have quite as tricky handling as the Corvairs had (the main reason the rear suspension changed for '65), but tended to be more of a handful at sharp cornering than your conventional cars of the day.

I've always wondered if the Vega that debuted for '71 was meant to be a rear engined succesor to the Corvair originally? :? They had kind of a Corvairish rear end treatment, and the little vents in the rear deck were curious just the same.

'Tis a shame that GM let Ralph Nader have a hand in killing what was a fun little car...............especially the later ones. :)