Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF....

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if BMF changed the way the make the foil now. Bought two sheets and I am having no luck with it at all. I burnish it and cut it with a sharp #11 blade but it wants to curl or not contour to what I am working on. I'm working on the 59 Elky and I have to say after using this foil I am not happy. It looks cheap and unrealistic.:D Any comments? Thanks...

I have two questions for you.

1. Where did you purchase your foil?

2. How clean is the surface that you are applying foil to?

I purchase my foil directly from BMF themselves. You take a chance with foil purchased in a hobby shop. Did they rotate their stock when they got new foil in? The age of the foil can be a factor.

If the surface you are applying foil to has been waxed, is dusty, or has finger print oil on it, the foil will not stick. The surface must be completely clean for proper adhesion.

I have two questions for you.

1. Where did you purchase your foil?

2. How clean is the surface that you are applying foil to?

I purchase my foil directly from BMF themselves. You take a chance with foil purchased in a hobby shop. Did they rotate their stock when they got new foil in? The age of the foil can be a factor.

If the surface you are applying foil to has been waxed, is dusty, or has finger print oil on it, the foil will not stick. The surface must be completely clean for proper adhesion.

I got all that taken care of. Right after the paint is completely dry I foil then clear but never had these issues before.

I did buy it at a hobby shop that rotates so...Seems thicker as well... Hmmmm

Edited by Starliner Kustoms

The "Ultra" isn't. It's awful. Get the newest, latest "improved" plain old standard chrome foil, and it works properly.

That said, a couple years ago they came out with a "new, improved" formula that was horrible in every way possible. BMF had a distinct problem w/the foil shrinking/cracking on the backing sheet over time, they reformulated it, and after that it I could not trim it properly, it tore most times trying to remove it from the backing, even with brand, new blades. The adhesive was far too strong, it left a lot of residue, and to top it off...the adhesive was applied with a foam roller...this gave the foil "built in" orange peel. You could apply the foil over glass, and there was no way it would be smooth. Not only that, but they also coated the outer surface of the foil, so you couldn't buff it to a high gloss sheen. It was a complete disaster.

But...they reformulated again. Early last year I bought a new sheet, and it was back to being a good product. I will say that sheet has shown signs of minor wrinkling on the backing, but I do not see any cracks. So far it has worked well...I don't use a lot of it since I build so many Euro, Japanese, and modern subjects.

Problem is the new packaging that says "new and improved" is identical to the earlier "new and improved" that was absolutely horrible. Make sure you are buying fresh stock. And stay far away from "Ultra". Anyone who can buff paint w/compound can make standard BMF chrome look 10X better than the phony looking "Ultra".

Thanks everyone for the help. I finished the elky and while I am not fully satisfied, it will have to do. I will however seek out the "New and Improved" foil this week.

Once again thank and I will have pic's up soon I hope. Till then Happy Modeling...

Edited by Starliner Kustoms

Last year I had six full sheets and one about 3/4 full, which were cracked, wrinkled and impossible to use. I e-mail the BMF people and they responded that I should send them all the defective sheets and they would replace them. I did this,even cutting the sheets into smaller pieces as instructed to fit in a smaller envelope. In less than a week, I had seven "New and Improved" packets of foil and so far I am happy at how much easier it is to work with. I keep my inventory in the freezer until I am ready to use. Seems to help.

I gave up on BMF a long time ago. Too expensive. I've been using household foil for several years and getting excellent results. The trick is to buy cheap, light-weight store-brand foil. It's durable, retains all the fine detail, will cover a 1/48 B-29 for a few cents (I build aircraft occasionally), and you get "chrome" on one side of the sheet, and "aluminum" on the other.

I'll post some pics if I ever find the time to photograph some of my stuff.

PB.'s

• 2 months later...

I dug this one back up. I have built primarily NASCAR for the last twenty years or so. I am starting to build a few street cars and I have an old sheet of Bare Metal Foil, it seems to have lost it's adhesiveness. What can I use to glue it down with? Thanks.

Ken

I dug this one back up. I have built primarily NASCAR for the last twenty years or so. I am starting to build a few street cars and I have an old sheet of Bare Metal Foil, it seems to have lost it's adhesiveness. What can I use to glue it down with? Thanks.

Ken

Microscale makes a foil glue, you can find it at your local hobby shop. I just finished this 60 Impala a couple of weeks ago, I used the new improved chrome,it worked great.

RAMSMeetingAPR_72011009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

RAMSMeetingAPR_72011012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

RAMSMeetingAPR_72011013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I gave up on BMF a long time ago. Too expensive. I've been using household foil for several years and getting excellent results. The trick is to buy cheap, light-weight store-brand foil. It's durable, retains all the fine detail, will cover a 1/48 B-29 for a few cents (I build aircraft occasionally), and you get "chrome" on one side of the sheet, and "aluminum" on the other.

I'll post some pics if I ever find the time to photograph some of my stuff.

PB.'s

Hey Paul what do you use to glue it down with?

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if BMF changed the way the make the foil now. Bought two sheets and I am having no luck with it at all. I burnish it and cut it with a sharp #11 blade but it wants to curl or not contour to what I am working on. I'm working on the 59 Elky and I have to say after using this foil I am not happy. It looks cheap and unrealistic.:P Any comments? Thanks...

I buy mine straight from the company whenever possible. Sure I have to pay more for shipping,but it's still a lot cheaper than driving to the hobby shop to get a sheet. When I happen to be at the hobby shop and need it,I inspect it very closely before I buy it. I never buy from an online vendor because who knows how long it's been lying around? I got burned a couple of times buying it from an online vendor also. BMF works very well when you have a good sheet,but if it's junk,it's very frustrating. When you get a good sheet from the company,you'll change your mind about it,trust me. I went through the same things you have.

I really don't understand the expense complaint with BMF when you can easily foil ten to twelve models with it if you cut your strips just a little wider than the trim. The day I can't afford to spend $0.60 on a model is the day I'll quit building.

Interesting Gramps. What about adhesive that might get on the paint where you don't want it. How do you clean it off? Do you do something to the body before applying the foil? I always do Novus #2 before applying BMF. Seems to keep the "stickies" off the body.

I bought some Marie's foil glue for gluing cheap tin foil but haven't tried it yet. The bottle says to spread the glue and then wait an hour before application. At least BMF can be applied right away.

Guest Gramps-xrds

Interesting Gramps. What about adhesive that might get on the paint where you don't want it. How do you clean it off? Do you do something to the body before applying the foil? I always do Novus #2 before applying BMF. Seems to keep the "stickies" off the body.

I bought some Marie's foil glue for gluing cheap tin foil but haven't tried it yet. The bottle says to spread the glue and then wait an hour before application. At least BMF can be applied right away.

Jim, any adhesive that that sticks to your paint is easily removed with some lamp oil on a soft cloth. Lamp oil won't hurt any painted surface. I also use it when cutting the foil. Just brush a little over the foil and it makes it cut better and smoother. You gotta remember you're tryin ta cut metal with a blade, so some lubricantwill take the drag out of it. I don't even use new blades (since I don't have them) I resharpen mine.

The "Ultra" isn't. It's awful. Get the newest, latest "improved" plain old standard chrome foil, and it works properly.

That said, a couple years ago they came out with a "new, improved" formula that was horrible in every way possible. BMF had a distinct problem w/the foil shrinking/cracking on the backing sheet over time, they reformulated it, and after that it I could not trim it properly, it tore most times trying to remove it from the backing, even with brand, new blades. The adhesive was far too strong, it left a lot of residue, and to top it off...the adhesive was applied with a foam roller...this gave the foil "built in" orange peel. You could apply the foil over glass, and there was no way it would be smooth. Not only that, but they also coated the outer surface of the foil, so you couldn't buff it to a high gloss sheen. It was a complete disaster.

But...they reformulated again. Early last year I bought a new sheet, and it was back to being a good product. I will say that sheet has shown signs of minor wrinkling on the backing, but I do not see any cracks. So far it has worked well...I don't use a lot of it since I build so many Euro, Japanese, and modern subjects.

Problem is the new packaging that says "new and improved" is identical to the earlier "new and improved" that was absolutely horrible. Make sure you are buying fresh stock. And stay far away from "Ultra". Anyone who can buff paint w/compound can make standard BMF chrome look 10X better than the phony looking "Ultra".

I bought 2 sheets of New & Improved directly from Bare Metal Foil company Nov 2010. I am just using it now using it and it seems heavier and less pliable that the "good stuff". The glue also looks "splotchy" on the back.

Certainly this has to be the newest stuff Bob was referring to in the above post?

Comments?

:P

I bought 2 sheets of New & Improved directly from Bare Metal Foil company Nov 2010. I am just using it now using it and it seems heavier and less pliable that the "good stuff". The glue also looks "splotchy" on the back.

Certainly this has to be the newest stuff Bob was referring to in the above post?

Comments?

:)

I got my "newest" and improved sheet in March of 2010 and the vendor told me at the same show this year that even ordering straight from BMF that it seemed that they weren't always consistent. I've used not quite half of that new sheet and in the meantime it has begun to wrinkle on the backing sheet, but it still works well and has not exhibited any signs of cracking. The previous sheet of "batch 1 new and improved" that I had was worthless.

BMF should have changed something about the packaging to know what production batch it is...or they've had more issues in subsequent production runs. My only suggestion would be to complain, get fresh product, and learn how to make your own from thin/generic kitchen foil and Microscale foil adhesive.

I got my "newest" and improved sheet in March of 2010 and the vendor told me at the same show this year that even ordering straight from BMF that it seemed that they weren't always consistent. I've used not quite half of that new sheet and in the meantime it has begun to wrinkle on the backing sheet, but it still works well and has not exhibited any signs of cracking. The previous sheet of "batch 1 new and improved" that I had was worthless.

BMF should have changed something about the packaging to know what production batch it is...or they've had more issues in subsequent production runs. My only suggestion would be to complain, get fresh product, and learn how to make your own from thin/generic kitchen foil and Microscale foil adhesive.

Thanks for your comments Bob. It seems to be the thickness of the "Ultra Chrome" so that is why I asked. I will send BMF a note about this. Gues that is why I saved the receive they sent.

:)