#1 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

This is another of the builds that are on my plate right now. The S10 Baja was a model that was available for four years, from 1988 to 1991. They took a S10 4WD regular cab short/long box or an extended cab short box, and gave it special baja style bumpers, roll bar with lights and spare carrier, optional turbo net and aluminum wheels, special interior, graphics, and a choice of three colors (red, black, white) coupled with a black lower body and bumpers.
Posted Image
It'll look similar to this, but with the '91 front end, a lift kit with solid axle swap, and the wheels/tires from the Dodge Ramcharger kit.

I got the S10 3n1 kit off eBay and looked into all the parts that came with it. I need to make the truck a 4WD, so I grabbed the transfer case from the AMT Explorer kit and the extra rear axle from the S10 kit. I just have to fab up a 3-link system to get the front end going. I already did a spring-over-axle conversion in the rear (since the kit came as spring-under). I'll get some progress pics up soon once I get the chassis together.

#2 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

What do ya expect, it was a factory job from the 90's, so it wasn't gonna last long! :lol: Probably just poor paint prep and rustproofing. With something like the bumpers, you'd want them powdercoated for the longest lasting finish, which I'm sure GM didn't bother doing.

#3 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

I need to make the truck a 4WD, so I grabbed the transfer case from the AMT Explorer kit and the extra rear axle from the S10 kit. I just have to fab up a 3-link system to get the front end going.

Jordan, keep in mind those had independant front suspension, not a live axle in the front. You might want to consider stealing the front axle and CV shafts from the Explorer, too, if you are building a stock truck.

#4 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

Oh I know that, and I was thinking of doing the IFS with a lift, but then I decided to do a solid axle swap since I found the extra axle and since it's easier to do. Of course, I do still have to shift the diff on the axle to get it in the right spot.

#5 Jared Roach

Jared Roach

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jared Roach

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Here's one I wanted to buy for $400, but had no cash and no way to get it home B)

Posted Image

I'm going to be kicking myslef for along time.

Edited by Jared Roach, 26 January 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#6 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

That is tough when $400 keeps ya from gettin a good deal.
I thought they looked good but I do agree I did them rust perty quickly.

What about using the reissued Revell Syclone for 4wd parts?
Isn't the Monogram S10 a stock reissue of the Revell Syclone??
I don't have the Monogram S10 insight to check. 1/25-1/24??

#7 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

That is tough when $400 keeps ya from gettin a good deal.
I thought they looked good but I do agree I did them rust perty quickly.

What about using the reissued Revell Syclone for 4wd parts?
Isn't the Monogram S10 a stock reissue of the Revell Syclone??
I don't have the Monogram S10 insight to check. 1/25-1/24??

I could do that, but the S10 kit does come with the front differential. However, I have the AMT Explorer which is going to be turned into a 2WD, so I'm using the t-case from that. Since I want to fit larger tires than stock as well, I want to lift it. In the rear I mounted the spring over the axle. In the front, I could have done an IFS lift, but I figured that would be too time consuming. Instead, I found the extra rear axle in the kit for the lowrider version, cut it up and rearranged the pieces, found some extra leaf springs, and voila! Solid axle swap! Should have some pics up tomorrow of the results.

#8 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Sounds like some good planning.
Can not wait to see it in Progress.

How about now?? :rolleyes:

#9 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Haha well I'm still working on it, but like I said I'll get some pics up sometime tomorrow (er today) afternoon.

#10 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Didnt lindberg come out with a blue one with the decals, in the 80s/90s. I like s10s this will be a great project

#11 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

No idea, that would be cool to find though!

#12 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Well after a couple weeks of not feeling good or up to building, I finally got some progress! I finished up the chassis (may do a skidplate for the gas tank) and put on the wheels. As you can see, I swapped in a solid axle (the bonus axle from the kit), installed tie rod and steering stabilizer, found some spare leaf springs, added a skid plate for the t-case (which came from the AMT Explorer), and did a spring-over conversion on the rear axle. The wheels and tires are from the old Revell Ramcharger.
Posted Image

And as you can see, it has the perfect ride height for the tire size.
Posted Image

Oh, and the intake is on the direction that I want it (opposite Syclone stock), since I'm going to have a custom intake going off the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Edited by Jordan White, 10 February 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#13 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

lookin good, love those wheels, this is the baja model i was talking about
Posted Image

Edited by gray07, 11 February 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#14 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

Looking good.
Good Ride Height

#15 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

gray- Ah I see, looks to be more of a Baja racing-type truck rather than the Baja package offered by GM (not to mention it's a GMC). Would be a cool kit to get though.

#16 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

gray- Ah I see, looks to be more of a Baja racing-type truck rather than the Baja package offered by GM (not to mention it's a GMC). Would be a cool kit to get though.

Jordon, they also had this S10 too.

Posted Image

While the grille isn't 100% correct to the Baja, they were mostly the same kits, and the S10 body would fit the GMC's frame. It's been almost 15 years since I had them, but I think the S10 in my pic might have had the 4WD parts too, but don't hold me to it.

#17 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, I think this build is coming along well. I need to buy another paint marker tonight so I can get the interior completed, it has a cool two-tone interior, much better than the Syclone interior IMO.
Posted Image

#18 Jared Roach

Jared Roach

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jared Roach

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Wow that is looking great! I loved the interior of the baja trucks, but I wish there was a bit less red lol.

Trucks looking great though!

#19 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

Alrighty, got the interior completed (the paint is actually red, my camera makes it orange for some reason).
Posted Image
Posted Image

Painted the interior in the same pattern, added a column shifter and console with t-case shifter, and made some Baja emblems for the seats.

Oh, and the emblems blend in better in person. B)

Edited by Jordan White, 12 February 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#20 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Looks great Jordan. I was interested to see you build this truck, the Baja was one of my favorite S10 packages, My Older Brothers best friend had one in High School, Think it was black with the red/grey interior. Can't hardly remember much about it, I was pretty young then.

Nick

Then again, I like the color black on cars/trucks, maybe that's why I do remember it.........

Nick