How Do You Store Your Tools?...?...?...?

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 MAN-CAVE

MAN-CAVE

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:Chad

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

(FIRST POST)
Hello, I've been watching the forum for a few weeks now, and I am very excited to be back into the hobby...Here is a simple, cheap solution that I came up with for storing my files,micro-brushes, and a few picks while building. They are always right there where I need them. Everyone here has really inspired me, so I wanted to share my storage ideas, and I am creating this thread to encourage others to post their workbench storage ideas that could help us all to be a little more organized...
Posted Image

#2 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

I keep small files in a drawer of one those plastic storage units with all the little drawers. Larger tools go in a desk drawer (my workbench is an old desk), paint brushes, often used files, scissors, markers are stored in and ice cube tray (it's about 4" tall with about 20 cubes in it - a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart.

#3 Ajski

Ajski

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

Here is how I store my tools. I made this out of plywood and 1 by's. I also use a tackle box and portable toolbox.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gathering and having the right tools is almost as fun as building!

Ski

#4 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

(FIRST POST)
Hello, I've been watching the forum for a few weeks now, and I am very excited to be back into the hobby...Here is a simple, cheap solution that I came up with for storing my files,micro-brushes, and a few picks while building. They are always right there where I need them. Everyone here has really inspired me, so I wanted to share my storage ideas, and I am creating this thread to encourage others to post their workbench storage ideas that could help us all to be a little more organized...
Posted Image

Hey Chad..glad to see you here. I will be truthful..the last time my bench was that clean and tidy was when it was first set up. Most of my tools go in a carousel type holder....if I put them back. I use tool chests, drawers, and plastic containers to keep all the good junk sorta organized....

#5 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

I must store mine pretty poorly, as I seem to be always spending time searching for something! B)

#6 ajulia

ajulia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Full Name:Adalberto "Tito" Julia

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

I must store mine pretty poorly, as I seem to be always spending time searching for something! B)

X's 2 and probably why I get to finish a build once a year!! Too funny!!

#7 camaroman

camaroman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn P. Nunnally

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

I must store mine pretty poorly, as I seem to be always spending time searching for something! :blink:

ME TOO!!! Which explains why the last time I needed sprue cutters, I wound up using small side cutter and a file from My "big cars" tool box!
and that is crazy seeing as how I "only" have five pair of sprue cutters and only one pair of small side cutters.....

When I do put my tools where they belong, I use a two drawer plastic tool chest and a variety of small plastic tray inside of that!!

#8 MAN-CAVE

MAN-CAVE

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Full Name:Chad

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Stasch....Yeah, I am just building up all the tools, paint, supplies, that I need to get going again, and man let me tell you....INFLATION is a B----! I remember when this stuff was cheap! Oh well, it's even more fun the second go-round.

There are some great ideas showing up here.....keep em coming!

#9 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:04 AM

Mine is also a mess but I know where everything is in that mess.... ;)

Posted ImageHosted on Fotki

#10 wilderness1989

wilderness1989

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:John Gray

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

GREAT POST!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!  I saved the pictures.

#11 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

As far as the tools go, I've got mine in a carousel from The Pampered Chef.  It's got room for all my tools and its convenient and compact.  My paints are in and on a small rolling drawer unit.  I do need to find somewhere else to put my spray paints.  Right now they're all stacked at the back of my desk.

#12 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

I keep my tools in a Craftsman 9 drawer toolbox (7 drawer top chest/2 drawer center chest) that's mounted to my workbench. I also have a larger Craftsman one drawer center chest mounted to a cabinet that I keep all my airbrush supplies in, it also has been modified with a laminated top from the local hardware store. The bottle paints are stored in Plano small parts organizers, separated out by brand/paint type. Hobby spray paints are on a modified metal pegboard, using magnetic shelves from the local Lowes, again separated by brand/type. I have a separate shelf mounted above that for the larger cans, mostly primers.

#13 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Interesting timing. After becoming buried under build clutter for the umteenth time I spent the weekend beating the thing into submission,

desk610.jpg

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale, 10 June 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#14 KingSix

KingSix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Barrett

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I use a Plano 737 tackle box for most of my stuff .. it's worked very well with very little modification .

#15 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I like to keep the work area open so I store things in drawers to the right and directly under the bench

main tool drawer
Album: workbench storage
2 images
0 comments

#16 spawndude

spawndude

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:johnathan splawn

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I bought a few of the 18in long "magnetic" strips from Harbor Freight Tools. Works great for any hobby tool made of metal. Files, small pliers, sculpting tools, scribers, drill bits, etc.

I originally used a carousel but it got to full. As fates would have it the tool I needed always required rotating the carousel to the other side and many times "stabbed" by on tools on one of the lower tiers. Now all these tools are right there in front of me.

Edited by spawndude, 24 September 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#17 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

As far as the tools go, I've got mine in a carousel from The Pampered Chef.  It's got room for all my tools and its convenient and compact.  My paints are in and on a small rolling drawer unit.  I do need to find somewhere else to put my spray paints.  Right now they're all stacked at the back of my desk.

pampered chef!?!? does your wife know about that or is she still wondering where the heck it went?

I try to keep all my tools in a carousel I bought at a garage sale years ago. I also have a peg board in front of me but things never seem to find their way back on the board.

also, I have 8 or so x-acto knives cause I keep misplacing them.

#18 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

^^^ I find it sadly amusing that no matter how much I try to organize my modeling, stuff keeps piling up in my build space.

Dale

#19 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

^^^ I find it sadly amusing that no matter how much I try to organize my modeling, stuff keeps piling up in my build space.

Dale

x10

Edited by futurattraction, 25 September 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#20 spawndude

spawndude

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:johnathan splawn

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Anyone ever buy those tools that will just randomly "vanish", "disappear" all on their own?

The ones you have forever and a day kept in one coveted spot and then one day "poof", they are gone.

No amount of searching results in good news.

When you question other residents of the house "they haven't touched it", "no idea what you are talking about!".

If you are lucky several days later you will be sitting at your bench and "WOW" there it is. It surely must have been there all this time and you just overlooked it. That is the only conceivable answer as no one in the family would dare touch your stuff!

Edited by spawndude, 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.