#21 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Full Name:Riley Schultz

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

i have the McDonald's kit. it`s really well molded ,well my opinion anyway, nice tires, optional top, neat decals.only downside is Chevy engine in a Ford :angry: Only things i don't have are red clear and diorama

#22 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Here's a very old build-up of that kit. Easily 25 years old now. This version came with some very nice wire wheels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Those wire wheels are also in the release with the yellow car on the box top, also the up top in still there also.

#24 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

That grille was included in the Little Deuce issue, not sure if it made it into the Son Of Ford issue. The Little Deuce and Big Deuce were actually based on a real car, with magazine coverage in at least one major mag. If you like I can get the exact issue info

And Larry, the up-top made it back into at least one issue of the 32, the one that came with the diecast included, from the early 2000's

I'm 99% sure the full-size car was built to match the Big Deuce kit, not the other way around.

The up top was still in the McDonald's issue too. That's the first issue of the roadster to use the steelie wheels and Ford caps that were originally made for the Beach Boys coupe version.

#25 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,595 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'm 99% sure the full-size car was built to match the Big Deuce kit, not the other way around.

The up top was still in the McDonald's issue too. That's the first issue of the roadster to use the steelie wheels and Ford caps that were originally made for the Beach Boys coupe version.

Actually, Don, Darryl Starbird built the 1:1 in 1964 and Monogram created the Big Deuce kit later from the full-sized rod. The Little Deuce came along even later as an effort to capture more of the modeling market from kids who couldn't afford the 1/8 scale Big Deuce. Both kits were quite popular.

I believe it was the Big T that was designed by Starbird for the Monogram 1/8 scale kit before they commissioned him to build the corresponding 1:1 rod for promotional purposes.

B)

Edited by Danno, 07 June 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#26 Mr. Metallic

Mr. Metallic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

Actually, Don, Darryl Starbird built the 1:1 in 1964 and Monogram created the Big Deuce kit later from the full-sized rod. The Little Deuce came along even later as an effort to capture more of the modeling market from kids who couldn't afford the 1/8 scale Big Deuce. Both kits were quite popular.

I believe it was the Big T that was designed by Starbird for the Monogram 1/8 scale kit before they commissioned him to build the corresponding 1:1 rod for promotional purposes.

B)

Thanks for backing me up Danno. i thought that was the sequence of events on the Big T and Deuce

#27 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

I just bought two of these at Hobby Lobby for $7 each. I had built it years ago when it was yellow on the box and had wire wheels and the up top.

#28 Gary66

Gary66

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Lyles

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Is the engine that was in the Son of Ford version able to be sourced from other Monogram kits?

#29 The Styrene Chemist

The Styrene Chemist

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas Vermeulen

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've build this kit. Plenty of possibilites with it. Although there are no spare parts...

#30 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

It sure would be nice to have the Little Deuce parts restored! I walked in to a dollar store in Warren MI. in 1998 and found these kits (the yellow '90's version) bagged, complete except for the box for a buck each. I bought all 26 of them.

#31 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I've been buying distressed versions of these to get the louvered hoods and the fairly-correct '39 and later Ford hydraulic-brake backing plates.....a must-have to do period '32 hot-rods.

#32 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

To bad they can't just do a version that has parts from all the versions of this kit in one box.  Wouldn't be cheap, but multiple wheels and tires, engines, grills, ect could make for a bunch of build variations on the roadster and allow for resto parts for those looking to rebuild older issues.

#33 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

$T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsj5KBQRVS)cC(g~~60_35.JMonogram used to do 'em that way, back in the day.

Edited by Greg Myers, 09 December 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#34 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I was going to say, if you are building a period hot rod with no fenders, this kit has the best dropped I beam front axle/39-up juice brake set-up ever put to styrene. With just a bit of fiddling, the steelies and tires from the Revell 40-48 Ford kits go right on. I have a huge stack of these kits just for that reason.

AHiboyFrontend-vi.jpg

And it's easy to do a little parts swapping with other Monogram kits to build a cool period rod, too...

P1010003-vi.jpg

#35 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Is the engine that was in the Son of Ford version able to be sourced from other Monogram kits?

That Pontiac engine only came in the "Little Deuce". The "Son of Ford" had a Chevy. Every other incarnation also had the Chevy. I have saved the Pontiac for years, along with the 6 deuces, for a reincarnation of the original.

Edited by Draggon, 09 December 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#36 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

The Pontiac engine was in there all the way through the black "Early Iron" issue.

#37 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

The ZZ top coupe has a Pontiac engine, bastardised to pass for an SBC (incorrect valve covers).  It's still a Pontiac block & heads with an early Ford trans, so with some Pontiac valve covers and a more old school intake, you're in business.  Given the ZZ top coupe is a modified reissue of the old Monogram '34 coupe, I'd expect the engine to drop into the '32 without too much trouble.

#38 Pete L.

Pete L.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Linszky
    JSMCC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Fellas,

I'm a big fan of the old Monogram kits...thanks for all the great info, keep it coming !!!

Pete

#39 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Monogram tried to pass it off as a "Boss 302 Mustang" engine. Why didn't they just call it a "GTO Judge" engine? They'd have at least been in the ballpark...

#40 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

The Big Deuce kit came out in 1963.