52 replies to this topic

#41 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

The Pontiac engine was in there all the way through the black "Early Iron" issue.

Dave's right about the engine, it was in the Early Iron version too. The Monogram Sand Shark that was in SSP also had a similar Pontiac motor. It's not exactly the same, but it should be a decent start. 

#42 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

It sure would be nice to have the Little Deuce parts restored! I walked in to a dollar store in Warren MI. in 1998 and found these kits (the yellow '90's version) bagged, complete except for the box for a buck each. I bought all 26 of them.

You would!!......LOL

#43 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Does this kit come with chrome reversed steelies?

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,924 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Does this kit come with chrome reversed steelies?

Yes.

#45 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Casey.

#46 oldnslow

oldnslow

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Lightsey

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

The Tiajuana Taxi has a similar engine to the son of ford.

#47 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,934 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

If you ask me, just the brake backing plates and suspension pieces make this kit worth buying. The rest of the kit's nice (other than that grille that gets wider toward the bottom), but those parts in particular are very well done. Just a pity that the frame is molded in with the fender unit.

#48 gwolf

gwolf

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Wolf

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Has anyone had any luck cutting the fenders off the frame? I bought this kit thinking it'd be a two piece.

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

tough job but it can be done. I think I glued the body to the frame / fenders to do it , destroying the fenders in the process.

#50 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Full Name:robert sharp

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

A truly awful kit for all the reasons mentioned above but still leagues ahead of the AMT version !

#51 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

Has anyone had any luck cutting the fenders off the frame? I bought this kit thinking it'd be a two piece.

As someone accustomed to doing a lot of heavy mods and fabrication, I can say this COULD be more trouble than it would be worth, depending on how nice a model you want to build. The frame-rails on this model inexplicably disappear behind the center crossmember and become very thin valences, which is not correct for a '32 Ford at all. The '32 had NO frame-covering side valences and the rails were exposed as part of the styling. This accounts for the signature reveal stamped into the rails ONLY on the 1932 Ford.

What this means on the model is that, if you cut the fenders away, you're left with extremely thin side members that will need extensive re-working to look at all close to correct from underneath. They need to have material added to the INSIDE, which makes some very careful fitting necessary. If you want to do an accurate highboy, you'll have to carve the reveals in to the outer face of the rails.

Some other interesting points about this kit:

1) Though it's labeled as 1/24, it inexplicably shares a lot of dimensions with Revell's 1/25 '32 roadster body shells, like the length of the doors and the cowl height and width, and overall width. The length of the body shell from the cowl face to the rear axle centerline is slightly longer, so it's possible to use this shell to build a good 1/25 representation of a highboy based on the slightly 'stretched' '32 bodies produced by several fiberglass manufacturers in 1:1 to accommodate more 'ample' drivers.

2) Because the cowl width and height are the same as Revell's '32s in 1/25, the very nicely made louvered hood (top and sides) from this kit can be easily adapted to work on any of Revell's other '32 builds, needing only a slight removal of material from the front edges of the hood panels to achieve the correct length for 1/25.

3) The up-top from this kit will adapt easily to Revell's 1/25 roadster because the interior openings are almost exactly the same size, even though this kit is 1/24 and the Revell '32 highboy is 1/25. You can make it work on the Rat Roaster too.

4) The UNDERSIDE of the floor in this kit is probably the best representation of a STOCK '32 roadster floor, so if you want to build a very accurate traditional car, it's something to remember.

5) Revell's 1/25 '32 bodies fit pretty well on the fender / frame unit from this kit, but because of the scale difference, you end up with an engine compartment that's long enough to accommodate an inline 6 cylinder engine, but still give the look of a full-fendered traditional car. This is something that COULD have actually been built in 1:1, so that's a point to remember too. The hood top and sides will have to be lengthened, if you elect to use a hood.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 18 July 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#52 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, Bill ! I have figured out most of these things myself, but you delved into it a little more deeply than I did. Obviously, there are a lot more things we can do with this kit, even it it's a 'dinosaur" (grin) You can pick these up at swap meets for a song, and they are a treasure trove ! Also, the Beach Boys / Rockin Rods version has a 'Vette IRS, while out dated now, this rear axle found it way under HUNDREDS of street rods in it's time....This is what this hobby is all about !..'Z'

#53 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yea, some good stuff here, thanks Bill.By the way, going the other way, the louvered trunk lid from the Revell 1/25th Five Window will fit the Monogram 1/24th 1930 Model A coupe. ;)