Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Merc

93Z34

With a little prodding from Markus yesterday, I finally got motivated enough last night to put the finishing touches on this project. It's the first completed model of 2011 and it was a thorough pleasure to build. The Revell '49 Merc is easily one of my favorite kits and I look forward to getting my hands on more of these in the future.

This kit was done basically box stock with just a few mods such as plug wires, fuel lines and flocking for the interior. I know it's not as elaborate a custom as most that are posted here, but for me it was a fun build and it's a nice shelf addition. Here are a few pics of the finished project...

49Merc001-1.jpg

49Merc002.jpg

49Merc004.jpg

49Merc005.jpg

49Merc007.jpg

49Merc010.jpg

49Merc014.jpg

49Merc012.jpg

49Merc021.jpg

49Merc025.jpg

Edited by 93Z34

Great work - it is much more than just a shelf model, you should be proud. What paint did you use?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I spent alot of time trying to go back to the basics on this project. I didn't worry so much about the added details and so forth as I did the building blocks of building a nice looking model.

I forgot that I did scratchbuild the armrests for this car as well. I think the quality of the kit actually contributed alot to the end result you see here. This kit just went together great from start to finish.

Paul, I used Testors Inca Gold from their new line of paints. I used several coats of Testors clear and spent alot of time polishing and waxing the body. The interior is flocked in light tan, dark tan, white and brown. It's hard to see all of it with the car completed, but it's in there. Fishing line was used for the fuel lines from the carbs to the fuel block. That's about it. The rest of the car is box stock.

I have another Merc that I am thinking of going more old school with...we'll see what comes of that project...

With a little prodding from Markus yesterday, I finally got motivated enough last night to put the finishing touches on this project. It's the first completed model of 2011 and it was a thorough pleasure to build. The Revell '49 Merc is easily one of my favorite kits and I look forward to getting my hands on more of these in the future.

This kit was done basically box stock with just a few mods such as plug wires, fuel lines and flocking for the interior. I know it's not as elaborate a custom as most that are posted here, but for me it was a fun build and it's a nice shelf addition. Here are a few pics of the finished project...

49Merc001-1.jpg

49Merc002.jpg

49Merc004.jpg

49Merc005.jpg

49Merc007.jpg

49Merc010.jpg

49Merc014.jpg

49Merc012.jpg

49Merc021.jpg

49Merc025.jpg

COOOOL!!!!!! nice color :rolleyes: