1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Updated 3/22/2015 Fire Bottle brackets Alcladed

Don Prudhomme Army Vega Funny Car Vega Funny Car

• You cannot reply to this topic
4232 replies to this topic

#2101 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Niko... thank you on the compliments on the brake lines. It only took me two tries to make it right this time...  :lol: ..... I had made an initial one from some soft wire to get a general shape and then took me only 2 tries with the music wire.

#2102 hansb57

hansb57

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I would say these are Moroso filters

#2103 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hans... Thank you for your opinion on the filter. I just google Moroso filters and it looks like that's what is on the funny car. Looks like I need to redo the filters and see if someone can draw the decal up for me.

#2104 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,146 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Continuing 'Wow!'

#2105 hansb57

hansb57

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hans... Thank you for your opinion on the filter. I just google Moroso filters and it looks like that's what is on the funny car. Looks like I need to redo the filters and see if someone can draw the decal up for me.

Are you replicating the restored car or the original??   Id would not amaze me if the Moroso ones were not on the original (but i'm not sure)

#2106 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Chris...Looking great!   cant really think out much else to say about it....just cant wait to see more is all.

#2107 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Danno... got you speachless?? ;)

Hans... I am replicating the restored car since those were the only reference pics I was able to find. I was at a loss of what brand of filters were on the restored car otjer than they were white lol.

Dave... thanks buddy. I am currently painting the couplings for the resr end and transmission so i can mount the rearend for goot and hook up the brake line and fittings

#2108 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Chris,

What are the two decals on the restored car that are located between the Cragar and RAC decals?  They sort of look like Lee, but I can't confirm that.  I trust you've got the decals from the kit so you should be able read them much more easily.  I googled Lee oil filters and the company colors appear to be red and white.  Are your filters supposed to be Lee units???

#2109 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

this is come clean, neat detailing you got going bro.... keep it coming...

#2110 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Scott... Those sticker between Crager and RAC do say Lee on both. I had googled lee filters too and they were not the colors in the one reference pic I showed. the reference pics show black and white and just as you said lee filters are red and white. I would assume from the sponsor decals that they should be lee oil filters. Maybe they put on what they had when restoring the car

Tyrone... Thanks man. I am trying to do it to the best I can.

#2111 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ok so I pulled the airbrush out for a few earlier to paint a couple of parts so I could get the rear end mounted for the last time and can hook up the brake line from the master cylinder to the "T" fitting. also got the oil filter housing painted Alclad chrome as well as I did another spoon test with the chrome and got a better result this time.

Here is the  drive shaft Couplings painted Alclad Magnesium:

DP-Army-Vega3338-1_zpsc22b4ee3.jpg

Here is the oil filter housing painted Alclad Chrome:

DP-Army-Vega3345-1_zpsf4f16cc0.jpg

DP-Army-Vega3346-1_zps348b9eb7.jpg

Alclad Chrome with Aqua gloss Clear on top:

DP-Army-Vega3355-1_zpsf1440ced.jpg

Alclad Chrome with no clear, I still think it looks better with no clear at all:

DP-Army-Vega3357-1_zps0a3112fd.jpg

Here is the difference between my original spoon test (the two spoons on top) compared to todays test by spraying it a different way (the 3 spoons on bottom):

DP-Army-Vega3359-1_zps01e53a51.jpg

#2112 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Chris.......looks sooooooo good man..........really does :)

#2113 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

John.... Thanks my Big Brother. I am really happy with how the Alclad turned out this time. I do have to say that it does look better left with no clear on it. The aqua gloss clear even tones it down just a tad but will seal the chrome.

#2114 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Looks pretty good....little hard to tell from the the pictures but I am sure in person and side by side its more obvious.

I have some of the Alclad chorme  I need to use it on some of my stuff.  I have a set of wheels that need to be Re Chromed so to speak on a Monza that on the bench....So I will have to give it a try on them.

#2115 Nitrozilla

Nitrozilla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Goss

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Chris, I admire the lengths you will go to for accuracy. Frame looks great and I'm sure all of the accessories, including the oil filters, will be right on the money.

#2116 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Chris,

The couplers look good but they are more a silver finish than they are a magnesium color. When I was at Lenco we'd heat treat the couplers then bead blast them, giving them the silver color. I'd have to say the closest to it would probably be TS30 from Tamyia, (silver leaf) It's a straight flat silver with no metallic color in it. Dull coat it and done.

Are you  going to the the drive shaft stars and the clamps also?

Paul

#2117 Chi-Town Hustler

Chi-Town Hustler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:Lee Hinton

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Regarding the oil filters, I found this on the Internet;

"Lee Eliminators was an advertising promotion for Filter Dynamics Corp. / brand name Lee Oil Filters....Many of the top drag teams in the early 70's had an associate product/cash sponsorship with them for many years....They may have merged or been bought out by another company....Lee Oil Filters eventually disapeared in the mid to late 80's and are no longer produced"....

In all probability, Prudhomme likely ran Lee Filters on the original car but by the time the car was restored, Lee was long gone....So it's anybody's guess what was used on the restoration....I'd bet Prudhomme's right hand crew man, Willie Wolter would know....He still works with Prudhomme at the shop restoring cars I believe.

#2118 Hotrod28

Hotrod28

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl Vieth

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Mate all I can say is incredible .

#2119 Interceptor

Interceptor

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Meirsman

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Incredible work and craftmanship Chris.

Speechless and for the rest I'm drooling all over my keyboard which ....................

Keep them updates coming man.

Mark

#2120 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

Dave... Thanks bud. you are right that in the picture its a little hard to tell the difference between the Alcad that is cleared and the one that isn't. but in person you can tell.

Joe... Thanks man. I am trying to make this as accurate as I can but I know it won't be 100% and that is ok with me.

Paul... Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I checked my paint stash and I found that I did not have any of the TS30 Silver leaf from Tamiya. So I looked at Tamiyas website to see if they carried it in bottles so I could spray it out of my airbrush and they didn't. So I had Tamiyas Titanium Silver x-32 in a bottle. I just got done repainting the couplers and I will post a pic of the before and after to see what you think. I was thinking about doing the clamps and as for the drive shaft stars are you talking about the Gear splines on the end of the drive shaft??

Lee... thank you for the information and link on the Lee Filters. I bet you are right that he ran them back then and its anybodies guess what they put on the restored car.

Darryl... Thanks Mate!

Mark... Thank you for the kind words. I am hoping to get more progress done on this today. I need the couplings to dry so I can get the rear end installed with the brake line to the master cylinder and call it good and move on to the next part of this build.