Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Been watching this built just amazing Chris hate to see how much you have in this project so far but its like its really worth it. I have question for you like to make my own coil springs for the back of a olds I`m doing for customer. What would the best way to make them? Also I have printer plate need to make brackets for ladders for the rearend. What do you use to cut it and shape it? I hope you don`t mind me asking this questions but it seems to me you have the knowledge to scratchbuild them. By the way keep up the good work.

John Pol

Daniel.... Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to go thru all of the pages. I know there is a lot to go thru on this build. I am looking forward to the day when I can say its done so I can move onto my next build lol.

Bill.... Thanks bud....I need to get my butt in high gear and get this one done.

Dave.... Thanks bud. I had a blast at the races this weekend and took as many pics as I could. I think I got around 3400 pics lol. I got a few of Erica's car but one of the crew guys didn't wanting me taking any pics of under the car. So after that I didn't even try to get pics of the passenger side with door off but I did see some of the electronics sitting there. Wish I could have gotten that pic but did hear that she is supposed to be switching to the new camaro body.

Mike... Thanks my friend... I will be strapping myself at the workbench for a while on this build now because I need to finish it.

John.... I have quite a bit into this build so far and it will be worth it when I complete it. At the moment I have somewhere around 650 hours in the build. I do not mind at all if you want to ask question. Feel free any time.

As far as coil springs go,you go do them a few different ways. One by using styrene tubing or you could go the route of using brass or aluminum tubing. Which ever you go with you will want to use telescoping tubing....a smaller size that slides into a larger size. For springs you could wrap bare wire around tubing to create the springs or you could use springs from a ball point and cut to size too.

For the printing plate I either cut it with scissors, a photo-etch cutter or I take my xacto and either scribe it with the back of the xacto blade or the blade part of it. I would possibly consider using a little thicker aluminum or brass for the brackets for the ladder bars if weight from the car will be on them. Not saying you can't use the printing plate. I have a pair of tamiyas phot-etch bending pliers that I typically use to bend any type of thin metal but I have also used pliers as well. Just make sure the pliers have smooth faces so you don't gouge the material. Don't be afraid if it doesn't turn out right the first time, you can always make another if you arent happy with it and you will get the hang of it. I would even consider making a template out of a 3x5 card to give you an idea of the shape to cut out. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Guys I am hoping to possibly get a little bench time in tonight but we will see. I will be back on this build this week.

Edited by Mooneyzs

John... i do use my dremel but i will have to say everything so far on this build has been done by hand with files, razor saw, sanding sticks and xacto knife. Some of it would of went faster with a dremel lol.

Bill... wouldnt that be cool to see it fire up lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys I know its been a while since I have posted any pics and well it seems for the past few weeks all I have been doing is work to the chassis sanding it all down adding bondo... more sanding.... What a tedious job it was. Well I got the sanding done and even shot some more primer on the chassis. To which I had a feeling I was going to have to fix a few areas so I will need to do a little more bondo work on it for what I hope to be the final primer coat. Anyway I needed a break from the chassis and so tonight I have started with the body, getting it figured out where the ride height will be and figuring out how I will do the rear body structure which the body will pivot on when the body is lifted up. I should have some body pics later today. Just gonna show a before and after sanding of the chassis for now.

Sanding of the chassis has been completed:

DP-Army-Vega2743-1_zps3344f356.jpg

Chassis with primer on it again:

DP-Army-Vega2761-1_zps04bf4698.jpg

Brad... Thank you.... I want it perfect...lol

Aaron... thanks man.... yeah i had a few areas pop out that I didn't notice before.

Bill... thanks bud, It would be awesome to meet you and see your stuff in person as well. I will make sure and Hurry up and take my time on this one...lol

John... thank you my friend. I am pretty happy with the chassis right now but as mentioned I have a few spots I need to fix up and I think she should be ready for paint. Was hoping to possibly have it painted next weekend but may be a little after that. we will see. But soon it will get paint B)

Mike... Thank you Bud!! I am going to keep shooting for what I had planned for this one

Hello All.... Just wanted to show some progress of what I got accomplished yesterday as well as what I am continuing to work on today. I have shifted gears a little bit to give me a break from the chassis and start to work on the body. I started working on the rear piece having to modify it to add some cut outs on the back and then started on the rear body bracing.

I first started by marking out where I wanted the cut outs:

DP-Army-Vega2767-1_zps81ae582a.jpg

Next I drilled pilot holes:

DP-Army-Vega2768-1_zpsac1b53d2.jpg

Then I drilled holes to size:

DP-Army-Vega2772-1_zpsdf8e4999.jpg

Next was cutting the slots out:

DP-Army-Vega2782-1_zpsa8b0f699.jpg

Here is the start of the rear body bracing and what the body will pivot on when the body is lifted up:

DP-Army-Vega2779-1_zps203a4179.jpg

Alright back to the workbench to finish up this rear body bracing..... stay tuned B)