#1461 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Very nice Rear End! Absolutely awesome work, Chris. I hope I can build this high quality some day too. It looks like real part to me, but because of the background I have to believe that it really is a Model. :blink:

Is it time to get my JungleJim Vega on the bench too, this inspires me that much.... :wub:

#1462 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Great looking rear end assembly!

#1463 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I've seen better rear ends......but not on a car. :)

your right.........my apology....... :P

#1464 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Yah heeeew!!! We've got paint!! Now that looks great and I'm sure it feels really good to have something out of the paint booth.

#1465 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Looks REALLY GOOD Chris. Looking forward to more.

#1466 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

congrats on the paint milestone, chris. i admire your "fix it now" attitude. i know i stray from it at times but, you seem to be able to hold the line continually. takes a great amount of discipline to do that. great job!!!!

#1467 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey Everyone!! I wanted to say thanks again for all of the kind words. Sorry I have been away from this build for about 2 weeks and haven't had time to work on it. I finally sat down for a bit tonight and worked more on my rear brake lines. I worked on this for probably 3 hours or more tonight bending and re-bending wire only to re-bend once again :lol: . I finally got an end result that I am happy with. So I started out with .015" Steel Music wire as well as .015" guitar string. The guitar string had more of a chrome like finish since it had a plating on it and the bare steel music wire seemed to look a little more like Stainless tubing. Let me share with you a little of this adventure tonight. In my first pic you will see that I went thru quite a few trials before I got something to work LOL.

In this first pic was my many attempts at bending this wire in one shot. I first started with the idea of having the tubing bend in a half circle around the back part of the rear end only to find that I was not able to get a great half bend. So I then changed it up in bends with straight sections:

Posted Image

Here is what I ended up with after I was happy and tired of redoing this line:

Posted Image

Here is a view from the back:

Posted Image

Up close Left side:

Posted Image

Up Close right side:

Posted Image

Now the kicker to all of this....After I had this done I didn't pay attention and then when I was starting to take pics I realized that I forgot to put my T-Fitting along with the RB-Motion fittings on before I made my bends on the right hand side. So now I am contemplating on what do do. Either. I re-bend a whole new brake line again or do I cut this brake line and put my fittings where I cut the line. Which would you choose to do?? Thanks guys. Hoping to have more for you Tomorrow.

#1468 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

DOH! :blink: I do that a lot Chris! nothing like redoing something you just spent an hour making, lol I would think you could just cut it and add the tee, I would at least try it first!

#1469 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I would just mark out on the line how big the "T" would be and how far in you want the lines to go in the "T" fitting to. Then cut the center piece out and fit the T fitting into place. Plus can i ask, what about the cliper bleeders? I don't see any.

#1470 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Bill... Practice makes perfect right?? LOL ;) :lol:

Jim... You know I still need to add caliper bleeders to it. I need to check with Robert at RB motion. He has them in 1/12, 1/24 and 1/8th scale but none 1/16th scale. I was thinking of checking how big the 1/12 and 1/24 are see if i could possibly use them but If I can get Robert to make them in 1/16th I will go that route

Well Fellas.... I am stoked to say that I have redone my brake line and happy I re-bent it rather than cut and spliced the T-fitting in it. Here is a quick pic and hoping to get some more done on it tonight.

Posted Image

#1471 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Chris........excellent work on the rear end.

#1472 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks John.... I can't wait to have my chassis and engine in the stage of your Daytona bud!! your build is looking great!

#1473 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Your tee fitting looks great, Chris. Super job, bud!

#1474 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,436 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Still with the ongoing awesomeness!

B)

#1475 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Looks great, Chris!

#1476 Fuel Coupe

Fuel Coupe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Gans

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

unbelievably sanitary work... top shelf

#1477 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Scott.... Thanks Brother!! I appreciate it.

Danno... Thanks bud!! You know I have a deadline for this build B) ...... :lol:

Art.... Thanks buddy!!

Shane.... Thanks ma I appreciate kind words.

Update: Well guys I have been priming some parts since I got home and going to be working more on this all night...... Actually the whole weekend is going to be for this build. I am going to be painting some more parts tomorrow as well as repaint a few things. And working on some new stuff. I will hopefully have some pics up a little later. I need to draw up a few items for some template so I can fab up a few items tonight as well. So stay tuned guys.... I am super stoked about getting to work on it this weekend. B)

#1478 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Good Morning Fellas.... well last night I was going to post a teaser pic but couldn't get it to upload on photobucket. I just tried again and it worked. I was working on the brake handle and some more of the break system. It not much at the moment but what you see is a template which I will be making the part out of .016" thick aluminum plate which will be 1/4" thick in real life. Let me show you the couple pics, then its time to go get some Ice coffee from Dunkin Donuts and then start working on this build all day. Also Keep in mind that I will be changing the master cylinder to a single piston unit and I am actually going to make the brake handle a 1/6th of an inch taller. Stay tuned....

Here is the brake handled that I have drawn up on my CAD program and then laid it over plastic and cut away. As you can see I didn't fully cut the handle portion since I was trying to gauge for the height and over all appearance of it. Will change it with the new one.

Posted Image

Another View of the handle where you can see I am using RB Motion Rod ends and tubing for the rod that goes from the handle to the master cylinder:

Posted Image

#1479 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Now that`s what I`m talking about Chris.........I love to watch you scratch build.......GREAT! job Buddy.

#1480 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

More Updates on the brake system..... I have finished the brake lever and happy with it. Took me a little longer than I though but was worth it.

Here is the start of scratch building it. Drew it up on Solidworks, Printed it 1:1, cut it out and glued it to my sheet aluminum and then Scribed and used a razor saw to cut it out:

Posted Image

Here it is after I was done cutting and sanding. Set it next to the plastic template I did first:

Posted Image

Then I had to mock it up to see how it looked with adding an extra 1/16th of an inch to the length. Think its a perfect height now:

Posted Image