#1481 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Man Chris, this is exquisite work. Put some fluid in that master cylinder and I'm sure it'd work. Phenomenal work my friend.

#1482 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Chris, you have no idea how much I have missed checking this incredible build mate. :(
But you should know, I'm much better now I've checked it all out....I'm like, OMG :o this is looking insane! GREAT work mate. Two giant thumbs up from this Aussie. :)
Thanks for brightening up my morning man. ;)

#1483 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Brad... Thanks buddy, I appreciate the kind words. Plus it was great to chat with you for a few today.

Greg... How's my Aussie Mate doing?? I sure miss seeing your work on your builds mate. Thanks for all of the kind words. I am looking forward to having much more done on this build.

Anyways most of my evening was spend out in the garage and side yard painting parts feel great but had a few hiccups. First the one airbrush I was going to use ended up shooting funny like it was sputtering so I had tear it apart and soak it in a bucket of lacquer thinner. Can't figure out why I did what it did unless the last time I used it I didn't get it as clean as I thought. That airbrush has been my old reliable one. I have had that for at least 20 years now. But I pulled out a different on and used it :lol:

I am pretty happy with most of what I sprayed but there are a couple items that I will need to go back and respray again. One was thanks to a bug that decided to fly right in front of my gun while spraying and it pushed him right into the part...lol and the other for some reason I decided to use my tack rag in between coats on my oil pan and the alclad did like it and had little bumps in the paint. so not sure what caused it. I will hit it with some 2000 grit paper and respray. I am wondering if I need to shoot it father away than what I am shooting it. the first coat seemed to go on nice. I think maybe I sprayed it a little more than just a mist coat. that may be where I went wrong. Gotta love learning how to shoot new stuff. :D anyway i won't bore you anymore by talking I will show you pics of all I sprayed today.

First Up is the side Tins of the chassis. They are spayed with House of Kolor black base and then shot with HOK inner coat clear with some flattening agent in it. I had to play around with how much flattening agent I used to get the look i was going for. There is a couple pieces of dust that I am thinking of hitting with some fine paper and reshooting the inner coat clear:

Posted Image

Next is the Fuel tank. I had shot this previously and for some reason I had some fish eyes that popped up in the paint which i think was caused from wiping it down with was and grease remover and I may of not waited long enough before I shot the paint or shot it on a little to heavy the first time. But now I am pretty happy there were a couple pieces of dust in it so i am debating on hitting it with some fine paper and misting a little more HOK black base with inner coat clear over it:

Posted Image

Here is the Midplate which I sprayed again and the reason it got repainted was I had to trim some of it off the bottom because it was a little long and hanging below the chassis. Some how I missed the boat on that one:

Posted Image

I repainted the black on the rear end and then shot inner coat clear with less flattening agent this time from the first go around with it:

Posted Image

Here is the rear view:

Posted Image

Here is the headers. this is one of the guys that the bug decided to fly in the way of. so they will get sanded lightly and mist a little black base back on it. Then I will be adding more flattening agent than what the rest of the parts have on it because I want these to be a flat black:

Posted Image

Here is the oil pain for the 2nd time, if you look closely you can see little bumps on it. So I am hoping the 3rd time is the charm on it. I am gonna try shooting it a lower pressure and make sure I mist every coat:

Posted Image

#1484 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Wow Chris, it looks great! This build is piece of art, especially now when you have painted some parts. Those look awesome, keep it up.

#1485 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

saweet Chris! I'm excited for you, keep painting parts, and this thing will be going together soon!! I think I can speak for everyone when I say I'm looking forward to seeing it one piece!! way to go brother!

#1486 Magic Photos

Magic Photos

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Garland

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Looks great Chris. Glad to see some color going this great build.

#1487 Mister Twister

Mister Twister

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl Raper

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Looking good!

#1488 Dyno Davo

Dyno Davo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Full Name:David Loye

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Chris, the painted parts are really showing off your patience and precise workmanship, it's progressing nicely.

#1489 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hey Guys.... thanks for all of the kind comments. I know I haven't posted much lately but I have been getting some parts repainted this past week and well I need your help at the moment. I have stuck two different bolts in on the rear end and trying to figure out which looks best.... the Nickle plated bolt or the brass bolts on the 3rd member of the rear end. Let me know which you think is best. Also note that this is the last time you will see the rear end before the rear end assembly is completed. I will be gluing the disk brake and hubs to the rear end as well as installing the brake line, calipers and the few other details this weekend. So stay tuned but here is a pic of the bolts. Let me know which you think looks best.... Thanks!

Posted Image

#1490 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

NICKLE hands down Chris! generally you don't see many brass bolts in 1:1 automotive applications except for fittings and such, they are used in marine applications occasionally for corrosion resistance , I think the nickle looks more like it would have been on the real deal, brass bolts generally aren't as strong as a steel bolt that has been hardened, keep up the fabulous detailing my man!

#1491 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

Bill thanks man.... I was thinking the same thing. but the brass could kind of be like grade 8 bolts how they have the yellow zinc plating ;) .

#1492 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Bill thanks man.... I was thinking the same thing. but the brass could kind of be like grade 8 bolts how they have the yellow zinc plating ;) .

I was going to mention that too, Chris. The yellow zinc plated grade-8 bolts are as common as mud. I'd be more concerned about the style rather than the color. These drop-in center sections usually slide over threaded studs and then secured by nuts. The bolts just don't look right.

Awesome work by the way. This is going to be a great resource and reference thread for years to come.

#1493 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Nickle.. looks more like what you would see on the real deal.

#1494 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Alyn... You are right. I had over looked the detail of the studs in the rear end. So I pulled out some of my Simulated Hex nuts from Scale Hardware and swapped them out. But I am thinking of going with the threaded stud and nuts, shown just below the rear end. I just don't have enough of them to do the whole rear end at the moment. Looks like I may have to place another order to Bob at Scale hardware. Thanks for the compliments about this build. It means a lot.

Jim... Thanks man. I have to agree with you.

Posted Image

Edited by Mooneyzs, 28 September 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#1495 jasoncamaro

jasoncamaro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Rogers

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Chris looks awesone i think you should just run with the simulated nuts and tread usually there is bugger all thread on a stud when the nut is on and the ones you are using look perfect

#1496 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

there you go Chris, thats perfect, Alyn is right, That is the correct way it should be, worked out great that you had just enough layin around to get it done! very nice!

#1497 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Those look perfect Chris. I like them much better with the studs showing.

#1498 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,094 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Those look perfect Chris. I like them much better with the studs showing.

x2.....yep,looks like the real deal.....AWESOME work Chris.

#1499 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Definatily the studs, what size are the studs and nut Chris?

#1500 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

That looks great Chris. Can't wait to see the whole rear assembled. Looks really good.