1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Updated 5/21/2013 early afternoon update
Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 AM
Still on a course for greatness, Chris!
Don't forget GoodGuys next weekend.
Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:51 PM
Art.... Thanks buddy. feels great to be back on making progress.
Well I have have been tinkering a little bit more today so far and not done but wanted to show a little bit of progress that I have made. I have been working on the seat and valve covers. Added some bondo to the seat and needing go mix some more up and lay more down. Then the valve covers I have made some slight modifications to them so they would look more like whats on the real car. I still have some minor pin holes to fix so these pics are just ruff stuff and still working away on them. Here's a few pics to share....
Here is the start after adding some bondo and doing some minor modifications:
Added another coat of primer to see where I was with things:
Test fitting the spark plugs and spark plug boots from RB Motion:
Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:17 PM
Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:59 AM
Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:37 AM
looking great Chris, don't forget to set your gaps on the plugs before you install them!
Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 AM
Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:49 PM
So Chris you need to add little washers on each plug.
Great work bud, keep plunging away with your project so I can see some more updates!
Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:59 AM
Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:09 PM
Bill... Thanks buddy, I will make sure and get the gaps set correct
Danno... that was a good one, he sure got me
Joe... thanks buddy. I have to keep pace with the rest of you around here
Scott... Thanks Brother.... You know I haven't a clue but you are probably right. I have been trying to find some time to get that drawing done for you. I apologize. Will try and finish it this weekend.
Bart.... Thank bud.... You know I was thinking how i was going to do that boot for quite a while now. I really want to be able to make that boot look like it with the washer and trying to figure out the best way to do so. The Plugs and Boots are from RB motion and figured I would run with them but my mind is set on making the boots correct.
Jim... thanks buddy. They are such a small aspect of the engine but I couldn't agree more that they add so much to them. I have started to redo those pulley models and I need to update the drawing. Please forgive me its taken me forever to get them done.
Dave.... I won't lie... I have been thinking about that for a while of scratch building a starter that I could place on and off the engine. I really would love to and think it would be cool. I just need to find some reference pics of the styles from back then.
So guys I have been thinking for the past few days and with a little help from Dave (Comp1839). I know that I don't have the spark plugs set to the correct depth because I was was trying to get the boot at the right height due to the size of them and the fact they aren't made for this specific application. So my thought now is to save the spark plugs and use them on an engine where they will actually be seen. As well as I mentioned that I want to try and make the boots with the washer to make them look like whats on the car. I think that will look much better. Do you guys have any ideas what to use for materials. My fist thought is to take some photo etch washers or some very small brass washers and use some small brass tubing to create the boots but then maybe it will be easier with plastic. but then I am wondering maybe at a craft store if there is some sort of rubberized paint or something that would be able to pass as the rubber material for the boot. I am just not sure that paint would make it look right. Any Ideas or suggestions would be great. Alright guys I will stop being a wind bag at the moment . Hope to have some updates soon for you guys.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:21 PM
Edited by gasser59, 16 November 2012 - 03:21 PM.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:06 PM
Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:48 AM
Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:35 PM
Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:58 AM
For one of my Datsuns, I needed plug boots with a flat lead outlet. Or relatively flat anyways...
First, I punched out 6 discs from thin sheet (.5mm?) which yielded a dome shaped cap. I then glued some short lengths of tube, corresponding to the hole size of the plugs.
Then, with each plug lead I made 90deg boots. These were then glued (very tight anyway..) into each plug cap.
Maybe, by keeping the short part of the plug boot very short (recess it all the way into the cap) you could then glue (epoxy?) and blend the cap/boot??
Then touch it up with some semi-gloss black paint..
I know you won't let this get the better of you, and I look forward to seeing more of this inspirational build mate. Keep at it.
Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:38 AM
Dave....thank you for the great Idea. I may have to tinker with something like to see how I can get it to turn out.
Ray.... Thank you
Greg.... My Aussie Mate? How you doing? Hey man thanks for the pics and the idea for the plugs I really like it. I was also thinking that I would have to do something in blending the cap/boot.
You guys have my mind going with those ideas.
Well Fellas.... I know its been a long while since I have had an update on this build. I have been out of town since Thanksgiving and just got home yesterday visiting family. I did take this build back home to try and tinker on it a little here and there and well I didn't get any progress done. I ended up having to have a medical procedure (some surgery I guess you can say) and it had me laid up for a few days. but Now that I am back home, I will be jumping back on this build today and hoping to have progress pics later today to share. I sure have missed working on this build. Stay tuned