Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Joe... thanks buddy.

Brad...thank you. I guess I am going above and beyond because I want this to be my best build to date. I can hardly wait to get more done. I feel this rolling chassis should be done soon. The front axle is pretty much done other than I just need to primer it again and hoping after that I can shoot Alclad on it but I am wanting to do a spoon test with the Alclad chrome with and with out the Alclad clear, Hoping that it doesnt tone the chrome down. I also have more parts really close to paint...tin work, seat but since its been so cold I have held off painting til it warms up a little.

Jim.... Thanks Buddy. I really need to get some drawings over to you for some other things I need made for this build. I know I keep saying it and I have been slacking on getting them drawn up but I am close with having the pulley's updated and the other is a fire bottle and possibly some parts for the fire suppression system (pieces that will mount on top of it). I hope you are doing well. I have seen some of your new work on rims and man are they impressive. I am going to have to order a set of those Magnum front wheels too. I just love those

#1662 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

beautiful Chris! little here, little there, getting so close!

#1663 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Bill.... Thank you. You are right with little here, little there and it will be done before I know it :)

#1664 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ok guys I really didn't get much done today but I did get the hole made for the drive shaft to go thru.... guess you can say baby steps today...haha  :lol:

DP-Army-Vega2583-1.jpg

#1665 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

DSCF0094sm.jpg

Chris- see this pic from Bruce Larson's Corvette FC. The circled area shows the pedal. I don't know if it helps, and I realize it's not the same year as the Vega FC. 

#1666 Magic Photos

Magic Photos

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Garland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Great work Chris the drive shaft looks killer

#1667 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hey Dave... thanks for the pic. Some where I messed up when I was locating the pedal. not sure if it was before i moved the engine forward 1/2" or what but i will be fixing it and will located more like your pic. thank you for sharing it.

Mike... thanks buddy. I am trying to figure what color to go with. I know it will be some sorts steel color... alclad or testors metalizer lol

#1668 F/C NUT

F/C NUT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Full Name:STEVE

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nice work Chris. This car is going to be a killer build, can't wait.

#1669 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hello Fellas... Been a few days since I posted updates... and I have a small one that I want to show you that I worked on this week. As I mentioned that I had my gas pedal to far back so I finally was able to get it moved to the correct location and looks much better. Besides that I added a little more to the gas pedal, the pieces that the morse cable fore the throttle linkage will connect too. I am currently working on how I am going to make the morse cable look like it should, so stay tuned for that. I should have pics up tomorrow with the proto type of it...lol

Here is the new location of the mounting plate that the gas pedal will mount too. You can see just to the right of it where I cut the old mounting tabs out:

DP-Army-Vega2595-1.jpg

Here is the modified gas pedal that I added some more detail to. A big Thanks goes to Dave (Comp1839) because he showed me how the cable should connect to the pedal:

DP-Army-Vega2599-1.jpg

And a mock-up of the gas pedal in place:

DP-Army-Vega2594-1.jpg

#1670 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

beautiful work Chris, you need to lock yourself in the hobby room and stay after it bro!!

#1671 Tired of kit bashing

Tired of kit bashing

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Milani

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Some amazing work Chris! Lov the little details it makes a big impact in a build. Well thats how I feel and take the baby steps because you can get bored and then before you know it the build becomes a back burn project. It's looking great keep up the work and postings...........

#1672 hOLMS

hOLMS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Holmes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

HI Chris...every time I see an update, it is outstanding....man, you are meticulous, but the great part is you have a vision, execute and succeed in a real big way! You look to be getting very close to the finishing stages....how bout a mockup shot of the whole thing? That would be great motivation for me as my next build after my Z28 Outlaw is a "Newstalgia" funny car tricked out somewhat. Not sure on the body make yet though, body work should be fun for that!

#1673 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Bill... Thanks buddy. I am planning on working on this build for most of the day and hoping to make some good progress today. Was going to primer some stuff but It started raining last night. So we will see if I get a break on the rain and be able to primer on my patio...lol

Rob... Thanks for the kind words. I sure know what you mean on how you can get burnt on a build. I am feeling a little that way at the moment with this but I am having tons of fun with it. It's one of the reasons I started a curbside build which i will tinker a little here and there on so I can finish something since its been 2 years since I have completed a model and how long I have been working on this funny car. I have learned a lot though through out the process of this bigger build that when I do my next one. It will go much faster.

Jeff.... Thanks for the encouraging words. It means a lot. You are right that I have a vision with this build and its getting there, its been a little slower than I have wished for but with the out come that I want I feel its best not to rush it. But I am getting really close to finally be able to get the chassis painted and basically have a rolling chassis. Once I get my gas pedal stuff ( throttle cable...etc done) all really that is left for the cockpit area is to work on the searing gear box, make a fuel shut off lever (which I will probably draw up today and make out of printing plate). Then I need to get the mounting hole drilled into the chassis. Then it is clean up work on the chassis (sanding the primer and fixing a few blemishes and a little bondo work) then I should be good to go for a last coat of primer and then ready for paint. Also my front Axle is pretty much done I just need to primer it again and then its ready for Alclad chrome. Although I am going to do a spoon test with the alclad Chrome because i want to see how it looks with and with out their specific clear over it. I have been wondering if it would knock the shiny down on it or not because I really want to  have clear over it to protect it from touching it, so it doesn't loose its finish.

I will also see what I can do about a mock up shot for ya.

Ok Fellas.... little sneak peak of what I though of last night and started and messed a little more on the Morse cable ( the throttle cable). I think I have really found a great way to make these look realistic. anyway gonna show you a quick pic and when I get a little more of it done I can break down some pics to show you all how to make it and what exactly I used on it.

Here is the Morse cable, now its not completely finished I need to get the length correct and make the connecting fitting. I have only worked on the side that will connect to the gas pedal but the opposite side that hooks up to the linkage on the injector hat should pretty much be the same:

DP-Army-Vega2604-1.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs, 26 January 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#1674 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wow Chris those black transition pieces look great. Are those heat-shrink tubing? Nice work. I have to agree, rainy days are the best for getting in some serious bench time.

#1675 RAT-T

RAT-T

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Full Name:Tom King

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

CRAZY DETAILS CHRIS! THAT MORSE CABLE LOOKS GREAT!

#1676 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Looks great Chris. Love the progress. Please put a coin or something for size reference in a pic for me. I'd like to see the size of the cable and frame.

#1677 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Looks great Chris. Love the progress. Please put a coin or something for size reference in a pic for me. I'd like to see the size of the cable and frame.

Not sure, but it looks like Chris photo'd the cable on a cutting mat with 1" square grid.  If so, that will give you the "scale" you want to interpret the dimensions.

B)  

#1678 Magic Photos

Magic Photos

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Garland

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Nice work Chris slow but sure great detail you will make us proud with this build.

#1679 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Cable looks great Chris, Can't wait to  see more about how you made it so i can apply that to my Promod.

#1680 F/C NUT

F/C NUT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Full Name:STEVE

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

The gas pedal and cable looks great. What size rods did you use?